Xbox One Launch Thread

Houtei

Microsoft advertises on tons of places. So does Sony. I have yet to hear of Microsoft using advertising in any sort of attempt to control editorial content.

If that's the reason why people don't like Polygon, that's absurd. I think they've quickly become the best gaming site around in terms of content and writing ability.

That crap all started because MS gave them some money for advertising not uncommon at all and NEOGAF went crazy because polygon gave Last of Us a 7.5 ratining and they assumed it was because of the money.

techbeck

Pretty much. Major Nelson unpacked a Day One edition in this video. Standard boxes come in Green

Dont  get the hype with packaging.  It will sit in my closet forever never to be seen again.

vcfan

Don't understand the comment. Why do people not like Polygon? I keep seeing comments like this on Twitter and don't understand why. I love their writing and have found everything they've done to be ethical and high-quality journalism.

since microsoft funded polygons launch documentary, playstation fans like to use that as an excuse everytime anything playstation gets a negative review, or anything microsoft gets a positive review. playstation fans are also mad polygon said they couldnt see much difference in terms of image quality/resolution in call of duty ghosts, and in the end declaring the xbox one version the superior version with a higher score because of the more stable framerate.

Andrew
Xbox One will not support music playback via USB devices at launch

Xbox One will not support music playback via USB devices at launch, according to Microsoft?s senior director of product management Albert Penello. A post-release update could become available for it in the future. The system will, however, allow players to play streaming music and tunes from CDs. Penello didn?t state when to expect the functionality to be added. Xbox One launches November 22. Via IGN

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/19/xbox-one-will-not-support-music-playback-via-usb-devices-at-launch/

Brewzzin

Dont  get the hype with packaging.  It will sit in my closet forever never to be seen again.

I actually prefer the green.  Ah well.

vcfan

I believe the previous announcements from PAX were for game storage etc, whereas this is referencing devices like iPods.

no such distinction was made when major nelson revealed the lack of availability of the feature at launch. it was just "external storage" period.

techbeck

I actually prefer the green.  Ah well.

Packaging isnt even a factor when I buy something

• Like 1
trooper11

It sounds like external playback of music will come with the update that adds full external storage support. Makes sense really.

Hopefully, that means local music playback is added at that point as well.

George P

As long as these features come quick enough then it's fine.  Both systems are missing things and that things are coming "after launch" or "early 2014".   Well, 2014 is close, so if we're talking January or February at the most then it's not much of a issue.   As long as it's not 6-8 months from now.

SnoopZ

Will i be able to stream movies from my WD network media server like i can on the 360, this would be connected to my router so not USB, but will it work?

BajiRav

People got upset that Microsoft invested in Polygon and that Polygon actually gives fair reviews.  Which is odd, since it is a sub company of TheVerge is it not? Not really known for loving what MS is doing.

Also, people flipped out on Polygon when their COD 4 review said that the PS4 looked no different than XB1 and that PS4 suffered framerate issues.

Don't understand the comment. Why do people not like Polygon? I keep seeing comments like this on Twitter and don't understand why. I love their writing and have found everything they've done to be ethical and high-quality journalism.

I think it started with them reviewing The Last of Us and gave it a low score. It's been painted anti-sony ever since.

Anthony Tosie

I think it started with them reviewing The Last of Us and gave it a low score. It's been painted anti-sony ever since.

Ah, I forgot about that. I didn't agree with that review ("The Last of Us" is amazing), but overall I think their reviews are better than most gaming websites.

George P

Will i be able to stream movies from my WD network media server like i can on the 360, this would be connected to my router so not USB, but will it work?

If you can play the files on your 360 then they should play fine on the XB1 as well.  I'm guessing you have network sharing  or does it show up as a media server?  Well, either way the default music/video app on XB1 should pick it up and play them.  You could do the same with your PC for example and use the PlayTo feature.

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

The Xbox one looks very nice, but I couldn't part ways with the PlayStation yet though, at least for the indefinite future.

SnoopZ

If you can play the files on your 360 then they should play fine on the XB1 as well. I'm guessing you have network sharing or does it show up as a media server? Well, either way the default music/video app on XB1 should pick it up and play them. You could do the same with your PC for example and use the PlayTo feature.

It is just a network drive, I just got thinking that just maybe the X1 may not even support those at launch.

George P

The only feature I'm missing that's not going to be there from day 1 is the external storage support.  It shouldn't take long for these things to make their way back though.  I bet within the first 4 months we could see most if not all of them back.

trooper11

I've been playing around with the Smartglass app and I have to say its pretty cool. You basically get the X1 UI and access the features accordingly such as queuing up content for the X1, messaging, assigning your custom pins, etc. Its fairly full featured honestly.

I noticed that in the pins section, it has brought over my pins from the 360, which is a neat touch.

I think MS has the edge when it comes to the second screen apps right now.

Scazza

I have the Astro A50 Headset, as far as I know it'll work for Game Sounds as well as hearing Game Chat however until Microsoft release an adapter in Q1 of 2014 I won't be able to use it for Voice Chat.

Options I have come across so far are:

1. Use the Kinect as a microphone.

2. Wear the provided headset around my neck with microphone piece somewhere near my mouth.

Just wondering what everyone else is going to be doing in regards to 3rd Party Headsets and Voice Chat with the Xbox One?!

xendrome

The Xbox one looks very nice, but I couldn't part ways with the PlayStation yet though, at least for the indefinite future.

Just because you buy something new, doesn't mean you have to give up something old.

xendrome

BTW have my NBA 2k14 and Madden 25 discs on hand!, On order is Need for Speed, Forza, Lego Marvel Super Heros, Assassians Creed and Ryse.

RageOfFury

Received my copy of CoD Ghosts Hardened Edition ahead of the Xbox One and Play & Charge Kit which I expect on Friday.

post-169504-0-70632300-1384900813.jpgpost-169504-0-98427000-1384900804.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Namerah S
      Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory demo coming next month
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

A couple of months ago, Japanese video game developer and publisher Square Enix unveiled the latest entrant in the Kingdom Hearts series. Titled Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory, the upcoming new title was revealed to be a rhythm action game. The title is set to have a library of over 140 songs, featuring music from throughout the series and Disney.

At the virtual Nintendo Direct showcase held in August, Square Enix announced the launch date of Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory. Today the game maker announced that a playable demo of the musical game will soon be available as well.

As seen in the Tweet above, a playable demo for Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory will be available on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch platforms in the middle of October, probably somewhere around the 15th next month.

The upcoming musical title from Square Enix is set to arrive on all current-gen consoles on November 13, 2020. Pre-orders for Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory have been live for some time and can be placed through the video game's official website. Both physical and digital versions of the Kingdom Hearts title are available.

• By Asher Madan
      These are the best Xbox One games launching next week
      by Asher Madan

Every week, a number of games launch on Xbox One, and deciding which ones to purchase can be a difficult decision. We've compiled a list of some of the best titles that are launching between September 28 and October 2. The games mentioned below are highly-anticipated experiences that you should consider picking up. The highlight of next week is Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time.

Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time is slated to launch on October 2, priced at $59.99. You can purchase the game through the Microsoft Store.

Star Wars: Squadrons

Star Wars: Squadrons is expected to launch on October 2, priced at $39.99. The game runs at 4K resolution on Xbox One X. You can get Star Wars: Squadrons on the Microsoft Store.

Feather

Feather should launch on September 30, priced at $9.99. You can get it on the Microsoft Store.

Which games out of these are you interested in? Let us know in the comments.

• By Brandon H
      Neowin's Community Minecraft Server
      Server hosting is provided by BisectHosting

Discussion of connecting with pirated copied (including requests for offline mode for this reason) will result in you receiving a warning. The usual forum rules for piracy apply here.

Server Address:
      mc.neowin.net (204.44.126.159)
      Currently Running Vanilla 1.16.3

Server Rules
      Be nice, polite, and respectful No Griefing, this is your only warning Do not build on others door steps without permissions, explore and find your own land Do not be annoying Do not build at spawn without permission of an admin Do not modify any other players builds without permission Have fun, if you don't have fun you will get slapped Label all builds in creative  

If you wish to join our server please post here with your Minecraft username; you must be an active member of the Neowin community.

Our server is powered by donations. Payments are made quarterly. Please help donate to the server to keep it running.

• By indospot
      Discuss: What does the future of gaming look like?
      by João Carrasqueira

For decades, the gaming community, or part of it, has gotten used to the famed “console wars”. The race between each console manufacturer has, for a long time, been a topic of discussion for fans, as have the consequences of losing the console wars. Especially after the Sega Dreamcast - the company's last traditional console after a series of failures in the market - the idea of a company becoming a software-only company was a scary one. I distinctly remember how people would discuss the possibility of Nintendo going the same route during the Wii U era, and how worrying that thought was to fans like me.

But as we head into another generation of gaming consoles from Sony and Microsoft, the gaming landscape is changing, and I think it’s very fair to say that Microsoft is spearheading that change.

When it first introduced Xbox Game Pass in 2017, Microsoft gave Xbox what is arguably one of the best deals in gaming, with over 100 games available from the get-go at a monthly cost that’s a fraction of the price of a single game. It instantly gave gamers access to a huge library of games from Microsoft and third-party developers, and that was a huge advantage for Xbox consoles. But since then, it’s become increasingly clear that it’s not about consoles.

Last year, Microsoft introduced Game Pass for PC, and with that, you didn’t even have to buy Microsoft’s hardware to get access to a long list of games, once again, for a very low monthly fee. Sure, it requires a Windows 10 PC that can run games, but most gaming PCs already run Windows 10 (based on the latest Steam hardware survey), and the hardware requirements would be there even outside of Game Pass. And this month, the next step - game streaming from the cloud officially launched on Android as part of Game Pass Ultimate, and now you don’t even need a PC or a Windows license. Plus, you can play your games anywhere, and not have to worry nearly as much about the specifications of your device.

Microsoft knows this transition to cloud gaming isn’t going to be instant, so of course the new consoles still have a reason to exist, but the sales numbers for that hardware are hardly going to matter. It’s no longer a “console war”, but a more generic gaming war, and eventually maybe just a service war. And after Microsoft announced its acquisition of Bethesda earlier this week, plus bundling EA Play into Game Pass, it’s clear that it’s willing to put down the money and effort to lead the next generation of gaming. Truth be told, Game Pass is completely unmatched in terms of scope and value.

But I can’t help feeling like I’ve seen a lot of this before in another medium. At the dawn of the 2010s, Netflix was the video streaming service. You’d hardly ever hear about any other service of the kind, and almost any show or movie you could want to watch was on there. And all of that came at the low cost of $9 per month, so there was almost no reason not to use the service.

But eventually, other media companies caught on, and today, the video streaming landscape is a mess. CBS All-Access, Disney+, Peacock, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more are fighting it out, and while most of these haven’t posed a major threat in terms of subscriber numbers, they’ve slowly chipped away at Netflix’s library, pushing the company to create more original content – resulting in more costs and potentially smaller returns.

We’re at the dawn of a new era of gaming, and just like Netflix did 10 years ago, Microsoft is undeniably leading the transition to this new method of bringing games to users. But eventually, other companies will catch on, and Microsoft knows that. I feel like that brings about a ton of questions on how the gaming market will develop, and whether Microsoft will be able to leverage its head-start to stay ahead in the future.

Phil Spencer, the head of Xbox, has said that it doesn’t necessarily see Sony and Nintendo as rivals, and instead points to companies like Google, which has its own Stadia service, and Amazon, which just announced its Luna cloud gaming service yesterday. But we're still early in the cloud gaming days, and both Stadia and Luna are from offering the value Microsoft offers with Game Pass Ultimate. Neither of those companies had the experience with building games, or the relationship with existing developers to kickstart a new gaming platform with major experiences on board. A lot of that done has to be done from scratch for these companies, and it will take a while for them to even have the chance to become as attractive as Game Pass Ultimate now is.

But then, what about the companies that do already have these relationships – Sony and Nintendo? An argument that can be made for Google and Amazon entering the race against Microsoft is that those companies have the cloud capacity to back that kind of gaming service, but I don’t think that means they have to create one such service to be successful. Amazon has a major cloud infrastructure, and it does offer Prime Video, but Amazon Web Services are also the backbone of services like Netflix. Amazon is still making money from the streaming market by offering its infrastructure to other services.

So what’s to stop these companies from doing that again with gaming, with Sony and Nintendo coming in to create their own distribution platforms, building on their existing properties and their relationships with existing developers and publishers? I think there’s room for the market to evolve in this way.

When other companies come into the fight, regardless of who they are, Microsoft will have to face a more serious fight, and I wonder if the company can be a leader in that market. Companies will start fighting harder for exclusive titles, and just like Microsoft acquired Bethesda, other big acquisitions could happen to rival it. At some point, the game streaming market will likely go through the same problems we’re seeing today with video streaming, and I’m not sure it will necessarily be better for consumers. You don’t see many shows running on different video subscription services at the same time, and it’s possible that more games will become exclusive to specific services in the future, potentially forcing customers to buy into more services to get access to the games they like.

One last question I have, especially being a Nintendo fan, is what will happen to dedicated gaming hardware. Nintendo is known for two things – making a profit on hardware sales and designing games around specific hardware features. Most games can be played with traditional controllers, but a lot of the experiences Nintendo promotes involve some kind of gimmick exclusive to its hardware. ARMS for the Nintendo Switch used motion controls as its primary control method, and the minigames in something like 1-2-Switch are based on many different Joy-Con features, including motion, the IR camera, and HD rumble. While it’s not impossible to imagine the company developing games with more traditional controls in mind, I feel like that would take away a lot of what makes Nintendo unique. Maybe controllers and accessories can deliver these experiences on different devices, rather than having to be tied to a console, or, who knows, maybe Nintendo will try to live on as a console manufacturer in this new landscape.

Nintendo's ARMS has you throwing punches in real life So, let me pass these questions on to you: how will the gaming market evolve once companies start rivaling Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass? Which companies do you see becoming players in this new landscape, and which ones do you think will drop out? Which ones offer their own services, and which ones will only make games? Will dedicated gaming hardware become unnecessary, particularly in the case of companies like Nintendo, which usually designs many of its games around specific hardware features? Will console exclusives be replaced with service exclusives and make the game streaming market as troublesome as the video streaming market? What do you think? Sound off in the comments and let us know!

• By Usama Jawad96
      Football Manager 2021 is not coming to the PlayStation... because Sony didn't send dev kits
      by Usama Jawad

The Football Manager series has been a staple among fans of the sport as well as people who enjoy simulation games in general. The first title in the series was launched back in 2004 and since then, it has followed a yearly release schedule. Over the past decade or so, it has not launched on any home console.

Now, the latest entry in the series, Football Manager 2021 is finally making its way back to current- and next-gen consoles as well. However, support for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 is notably excluded, only because Sony didn't send dev kits to the developer.

In a blog post, the company has announced that Football Manager 2021 is coming to Steam and Epic Games Store on November 24, and people who purchase it through these storefronts will also get Football Manager 2021 Touch for PC and Mac for free. iOS and Android versions are coming soon too, with the Switch edition expected to arrive before the end of the year.

In a surprise reveal, the game is making a return to Xbox One, Series S, and Series X as well, with optimizations for Xbox controllers in tow along with the ability to carry saves across Windows 10 utilizing Microsoft's Xbox Play Anywhere technology. This will be the first release of the series on a Microsoft console since 2008. However, a firm release date for the Xbox Edition has not been announced as of yet.

Interestingly, mention of the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 edition is completely absent in the blog post. Responding to curious fans on Twitter, the game's director Miles Jacobson stated that this is because Microsoft "asked" for Football Manager 2021 on Xbox while Sony did not. He further revealed that:

It's quite interesting to see that while Microsoft was proactive about getting an arguably popular title to its current- and next-generation consoles, Sony could seemingly not be bothered to even send dev kits to the developer. With this being the title's first home console release in well over a decade, only time will tell whether the company made the right choice or not. In the meantime, those interested can head over to the pre-order page for Football Manager 2021 here.