Xbox One Launch Thread

Houtei

Microsoft advertises on tons of places. So does Sony. I have yet to hear of Microsoft using advertising in any sort of attempt to control editorial content.

If that's the reason why people don't like Polygon, that's absurd. I think they've quickly become the best gaming site around in terms of content and writing ability.

That crap all started because MS gave them some money for advertising not uncommon at all and NEOGAF went crazy because polygon gave Last of Us a 7.5 ratining and they assumed it was because of the money.

techbeck

Pretty much. Major Nelson unpacked a Day One edition in this video. Standard boxes come in Green

Dont  get the hype with packaging.  It will sit in my closet forever never to be seen again.

vcfan

Don't understand the comment. Why do people not like Polygon? I keep seeing comments like this on Twitter and don't understand why. I love their writing and have found everything they've done to be ethical and high-quality journalism.

since microsoft funded polygons launch documentary, playstation fans like to use that as an excuse everytime anything playstation gets a negative review, or anything microsoft gets a positive review. playstation fans are also mad polygon said they couldnt see much difference in terms of image quality/resolution in call of duty ghosts, and in the end declaring the xbox one version the superior version with a higher score because of the more stable framerate.

Andrew
Xbox One will not support music playback via USB devices at launch

Xbox One will not support music playback via USB devices at launch, according to Microsoft?s senior director of product management Albert Penello. A post-release update could become available for it in the future. The system will, however, allow players to play streaming music and tunes from CDs. Penello didn?t state when to expect the functionality to be added. Xbox One launches November 22. Via IGN

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/19/xbox-one-will-not-support-music-playback-via-usb-devices-at-launch/

Brewzzin

Dont  get the hype with packaging.  It will sit in my closet forever never to be seen again.

I actually prefer the green.  Ah well.

vcfan

I believe the previous announcements from PAX were for game storage etc, whereas this is referencing devices like iPods.

no such distinction was made when major nelson revealed the lack of availability of the feature at launch. it was just "external storage" period.

techbeck

I actually prefer the green.  Ah well.

Packaging isnt even a factor when I buy something

• Like 1
trooper11

It sounds like external playback of music will come with the update that adds full external storage support. Makes sense really.

Hopefully, that means local music playback is added at that point as well.

George P

As long as these features come quick enough then it's fine.  Both systems are missing things and that things are coming "after launch" or "early 2014".   Well, 2014 is close, so if we're talking January or February at the most then it's not much of a issue.   As long as it's not 6-8 months from now.

SnoopZ

Will i be able to stream movies from my WD network media server like i can on the 360, this would be connected to my router so not USB, but will it work?

BajiRav

People got upset that Microsoft invested in Polygon and that Polygon actually gives fair reviews.  Which is odd, since it is a sub company of TheVerge is it not? Not really known for loving what MS is doing.

Also, people flipped out on Polygon when their COD 4 review said that the PS4 looked no different than XB1 and that PS4 suffered framerate issues.

Don't understand the comment. Why do people not like Polygon? I keep seeing comments like this on Twitter and don't understand why. I love their writing and have found everything they've done to be ethical and high-quality journalism.

I think it started with them reviewing The Last of Us and gave it a low score. It's been painted anti-sony ever since.

Anthony Tosie

I think it started with them reviewing The Last of Us and gave it a low score. It's been painted anti-sony ever since.

Ah, I forgot about that. I didn't agree with that review ("The Last of Us" is amazing), but overall I think their reviews are better than most gaming websites.

George P

Will i be able to stream movies from my WD network media server like i can on the 360, this would be connected to my router so not USB, but will it work?

If you can play the files on your 360 then they should play fine on the XB1 as well.  I'm guessing you have network sharing  or does it show up as a media server?  Well, either way the default music/video app on XB1 should pick it up and play them.  You could do the same with your PC for example and use the PlayTo feature.

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

The Xbox one looks very nice, but I couldn't part ways with the PlayStation yet though, at least for the indefinite future.

SnoopZ

If you can play the files on your 360 then they should play fine on the XB1 as well. I'm guessing you have network sharing or does it show up as a media server? Well, either way the default music/video app on XB1 should pick it up and play them. You could do the same with your PC for example and use the PlayTo feature.

It is just a network drive, I just got thinking that just maybe the X1 may not even support those at launch.

George P

The only feature I'm missing that's not going to be there from day 1 is the external storage support.  It shouldn't take long for these things to make their way back though.  I bet within the first 4 months we could see most if not all of them back.

trooper11

I've been playing around with the Smartglass app and I have to say its pretty cool. You basically get the X1 UI and access the features accordingly such as queuing up content for the X1, messaging, assigning your custom pins, etc. Its fairly full featured honestly.

I noticed that in the pins section, it has brought over my pins from the 360, which is a neat touch.

I think MS has the edge when it comes to the second screen apps right now.

Scazza

I have the Astro A50 Headset, as far as I know it'll work for Game Sounds as well as hearing Game Chat however until Microsoft release an adapter in Q1 of 2014 I won't be able to use it for Voice Chat.

Options I have come across so far are:

1. Use the Kinect as a microphone.

2. Wear the provided headset around my neck with microphone piece somewhere near my mouth.

Just wondering what everyone else is going to be doing in regards to 3rd Party Headsets and Voice Chat with the Xbox One?!

xendrome

The Xbox one looks very nice, but I couldn't part ways with the PlayStation yet though, at least for the indefinite future.

Just because you buy something new, doesn't mean you have to give up something old.

xendrome

BTW have my NBA 2k14 and Madden 25 discs on hand!, On order is Need for Speed, Forza, Lego Marvel Super Heros, Assassians Creed and Ryse.

RageOfFury

Received my copy of CoD Ghosts Hardened Edition ahead of the Xbox One and Play & Charge Kit which I expect on Friday.

post-169504-0-70632300-1384900813.jpgpost-169504-0-98427000-1384900804.jpg