• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

LG Smart TVs logging USB filenames and viewing info to LG servers

RevitXman    12

"At this point, I decided to do some traffic analysis to see what was being sent.  It turns out that viewing information appears to be being sent regardless of whether this option is set to On or Off."

http://doctorbeet.blogspot.com/2013/11/lg-smart-tvs-logging-usb-filenames-and.html

Aergan    622

That's somewhat naughty

Phouchg    2,048

Lest the buyer think he's being smart and LG (or any other) is just giving their awesome technological miracles to the world.

timster    1,448

I wonder if this is limited to LG, or are other Smart TV manufacturers spying on their customers.

MillionVoltss    63

It may be worth adding the Ip to your Routers block list.

These are the advert domains

• ad.lgappstv.com
  • yumenetworks.com
  • smartclip.net
  • smartclip.com
  • llnwd.net
  • smartshare.lgtvsdp.com
  • ibis.lgappstv.com

Phouchg    2,048

This just begs for a class-action lawsuit. Where are all the sue-happy lawyers? Where is FCC?

D. S.    426

This just begs for a class-action lawsuit. Where are all the sue-happy lawyers? Where is FCC?

It's probably buried somewhere in the EULA of the apps but it is probably still sanctionable. Class-action lawsuits take a lot of time to get into gear. This is just coming out, give it some time.

LimeMaster    15,601

That's why you should stick to normal TVs as companies these days seem to want to collect as much data as they can. :s

+Human.Online    8,527

And here's why my so-called "smart TV" has never and will never see a connection.  I only bought smart because it was cheap and available.

-T-    671

Don't really care if my TV reads my file names and sends them anywhere. I'll bet everything with a net connection probably does this

Phouchg    2,048

It's probably buried somewhere in the EULA of the apps but it is probably still sanctionable. Class-action lawsuits take a lot of time to get into gear. This is just coming out, give it some time.

I remember reading that, for example, in Germany, EULA is only valid as a legal document if it was agreed upon before the purchase (which is the case almost never). Don't know the exact circumstances. It'd be nice if that was EU directive, but it likely isn't...

+Fahim S.    1,088

This is why my TV is and always will just be a monitor - I don't even have any channels tuned on it.

It has one HDMI cable coming into it from my receiver and that is it.