'The Slaying of Sandy Hook Elementary' Game Draws National Outrage

An indie game developed by a man from Sydney, Australia is getting national attention this week because of its controversial subject matter: the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that happened almost a year ago in Newtown, Connecticut. Politicians, journalists, parents of victims, Connecticut state officials, and even the National Rifle Association have weighed in on the game, "The Slaying of Sandy Hook Elementary."

The Flash-based game was developed by Ryan Jake Lambourn, who describes himself in an audio recording that accompanies the game, as a U.S. expatriate from Houston who now resides in Sydney, Australia. The message of his game seems to be that guns laws in the United States need to change. He points to laws enacted in Australia after the fatal 1996 shooting of 35 people at a popular tourist destination that have brought gun-related murders down in the country.

"Here we are a year after the Sandy Hook shootings in which 26 people were killed, 20 of which were first-graders, and absolutely nothing positive has come out of it," Lambourn said in the recording. "I'm someone who rarely follows the news, so these updates have been a constant reminder of just how commonplace mass shootings and school shootings have become."

Whether his intentions are good or not, his vehicle for the message of gun control isn't appreciated by anyone in Newtown, Connecticut. Newtown First Selectman Pat Llodra went so far as to say that she has contacted the FBI about the game and urged an investigation.

"I'm just horrified," Llodra told the CT Post. "I just don't understand, frankly, why anyone would think that the horrible tragedy that took place here in Sandy Hook would have any entertainment value. It just breaks my heart."

U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., slammed the developer of the game:

"I find the exploitation of this unspeakable tragedy is just shocking," Blumenthal told Hearst. "From what I've heard and what's been shown to me, it's absolutely abhorrent. My hope is that it will be voluntarily taken down because it's offensive and hurtful."

Gun control advocacy group the Newtown Action Alliance says that the only good to come from this game is that gun rights supporters and gun control advocates have found some common ground in loathing the game:

"The only positive that can possibly come from this is if the repulsive reactions that it causes serve as common ground for extreme gun-rights people to instead of pointing out how something so vile is protected under the Constitution, or looking the other way, they join the masses in condemning it," said Dave Ackert, a spokesman for the Newtown Action Alliance. "Same goes for the NRA leadership, all of their A-rated lawmakers, executives and board members at gun manufacturers, gaming and other entertainment companies."

U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy described the game as sickening.

"Sickening. To make a game about the murder of 20 children and their six teachers is absolutely sickening," U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., said in a statement. "I hope the very disturbed person who could think of something like this sees the cruelty of what he's done and stops it."

The NRA called the game "reprehensible," but said that it wouldn't comment further because it didn't want to draw any more attention to "this despicable excuse for a human being."

On his Twitter feed, Lambourn listed off all the different groups that don't like him or his game:

U8LICZl.jpg

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/11/20/slaying-sandy-hook-elementary-game-draws-national-outrage#.Uo186cSnpqk

I could understand other events basing a game off of...but situations like Sandy Hook where kids were killed...insensitive and deplorable. 

Since I live, quite literally, in the town next to Newtown maybe I'm more sensitive to this subject, but I really, really can't believe someone would stoop so low as to create a game out of one of the most terrible tragedies in recent memory. I was in town, near the school, the week after for a few of the vigils. I was at the town meetings and saw some of the families. To use the words "devastated" or "despondent" doesn't even begin to describe the scene.

To make a game about it, regardless of the agenda, is as disrespectful and callus as you can possibly get. There is no reason for this "game" to exist. This guy may think he's making a political statement to enact change, but all he did was advertise and glorify the shooting. And it's f***ing disgusting. 

"I'm just horrified," Llodra told the CT Post. "I just don't understand, frankly, why anyone would think that the horrible tragedy that took place here in Sandy Hook would have any entertainment value. It just breaks my heart."

The media turns every town where a shooting occurs into a circus for the sake of ratings, I wonder if that breaks her heart too.

The game is no doubt callous but he's right to say that no progress has been made re gun safety. A Shooting happens, people talk about it for as long as it can be milked for ratings and then everyone goes back to not giving a ######.

Review of game,

Controls are bad.

A is to use items. Should be E - as it is the universal "use" key.

The controls are not well responsive - you have to press A multiple times to enter a class room / toilet.

Graphics are bad too.

You are essentially playing a poorly animated dark figure.

There are no textures in the game - all is in different colors.

Sound effects are bad too.

I doubt that is how guns sound.

Verdict,

This is the worst flash game I have played.

I think overall the author should have made a mod for some game, where you are put into multiple fictional situations, where using your gun "solves" the problem - to emphasize how easy it is to enjoy the act of murder or something.

But no, the author is an idiot who wants to be in headlines.

The NRA called the game "reprehensible," but said that it wouldn't comment further because it didn't want to draw any more attention to "this despicable excuse for a human being."

Pot, kettle - meet.