Harvard students don't know Canada's capital

That was meant as a joke. Yes, I am Canadian.

Why do you care though? Do I care if you know the Capital of my country? Nope, it doesn't cross my mind if you do or not, its not a big deal to me. 

Why do you care though? Do I care if you know the Capital of my country? Nope, it doesn't cross my mind if you do or not, its not a big deal to me. 

It's not a personal matter. It's irrelevant to me, personally, what you, personally, know or don't know. It's a question of the state of public education: what everyone, in general, ought to know, to function well in society.

• Like 2

It's not a personal matter. It's irrelevant to me, personally, what you, personally, think. It's a question of the state of public education.

I was taught a lot of things by the public education system. I don't remember the majority of it.

You are taking this to personal. What we both are saying is that it seems strange to us that there is such a lack of interest in your neighboring countries in the USA

I was taught a lot of things by the public education system. I don't remember the majority of it.

When I said "public education", I meant that in a very broad, basically cultural sense, and not specifically the public school system. I agree that people tend to forget what they've learned in their history and geography classes, but then there should be enough incentive in the rest of the culture (for instance the media) to remain aware of basic geographical realities.

• Like 2

This is amazing. It's also amazing that so many in this thread find this acceptable and give generic excuses like "you can't memorize everything" or "no one cares". If not knowing the capital of Canada is ok, then is it ok to not know where is Canada? Or what Canada is? If that's ok, then why should you even know the name of your own capital? Or state? 

Bottom line, everyone and especially people with higher education should have some basic notions of the world they live in, and that world encompasses more than their own country. 

Oh and

map-of-the-world-according-to-americans.

Is this the new way for moderators to interact with members of Neowin?  If so then you may be violating community rules by posting such inaccurate and insensitive images.  You don't like that some American students don't know the capital of Canada, well may be some people don't like being treated with such disrespect.

Oh, I was just joking.  /s

• Like 4

You are taking this to too personal. What we both are saying is that it seems strange to us that there is such a lack of interest in your neighboring countries in the USA

Please stop lecturing about the state of education in the US when you cannot even use proper wording.  And also what is with this bizarre obsession with some in this thread about the knowledge level of a few Harvard students, did you realize they are students and are still learning?  Seriously some of you need to get off your high horses and come back to Earth.  ;)

Is this the new way for moderators to interact with members of Neowin?  If so then you may be violating community rules by posting such inaccurate and insensitive images.  You don't like that some American students don't know the capital of Canada, well may be some people don't like being treated with such disrespect.

Oh, I was just joking.  /s

Obiviously he wasn't trying to say American's were stupid, he was just joking. Yeah right  :rolleyes:. Are the moderators going to have to police other moderators now?

Don't bother learning anything useful guys

And...there you go kids! Stay in school. 

Don't bother learning anything useful guys

And...there you go kids! Stay in school. 

Are you out of school? If you are how long have you been out of school. You can't honestly say you remember most of what you've been taught especially if you've been out of school for 10+ years. 

And to be totally honest i've learned a lot more out of school than I did in it. 

Also how is learning the capital of Canada useful? If someone isn't going to be visiting Canada or needs to know certain cities because of a job requirement how useful is knowing the capital of Canada? 

Its about as useful as your post... 

Hey, fellow Canadians!  Quick:  name the capital of Greenland. 

For that matter, I'll bet lots of us don't know the capital of New York or Pennsylvania.

Hey, fellow Canadians!  Quick:  name the capital of Greenland. 

For that matter, I'll bet lots of us don't know the capital of New York or Pennsylvania.

Why, however do you function in society without such vital knowledge?

:rolleyes:

I asked my girlfriend if she knew the capital of Canada... she had no clue.

When I then started asking for the capitals of countries surrounding her home country (Brazil), she could name all of them without a blink.

I just don't understand how people from the USA can have absolutely no interest in their neighboring countries. It really baffles me

It baffles me as to why you think everyone thinks like you do and has the same values?

It baffles me as to why you think everyone thinks like you do and has the same values?

This has nothing to do with values. And like I said before, I don't care what people know or don't know.

I just find it very surprising to find out how many people find it normal to have no interest/knowledge about their neighboring countries

• Like 2

The word "isolationism" was first learnt from a snippet of information on the US of A.

The word "isolationism" was first learnt from a snippet of information on the US of A.

Apparently not, since we cannot learn to keep our noses out of other countries and their business.

It baffles me why you consider basic geographical knowledge of neighbouring countries as "values".

Everyone values knowledge of different things.  I am sorry that it baffles you.

• Like 2

Why, however do you function in society without such vital knowledge?

:rolleyes:

I don't know the capitals of neighboring countries.  The world will end without having this vital knowledge!

On a more serious note:

I've noticed those crying foul in this thread are the same typical ones that respond in every political thread out there.  I guess they think everyone is a political/foreign affairs commenter like themselves.

Pretty narrow-minded of them, if you ask me.