Xbox One Owner Impressions

Well as far as accessories, the only things that come to mind are a rechargeable battery pack or batteries for the controller and maybe a mount for Kinect depending on where you want to put it.

I have not gotten a battery pack yet since the controller gets such good battery life on regular batteries. I'll wait until the official rechargeable battery pack is on sale.

Other than that, there isn't really much you should need other then getting games and maybe an extra controller.

Oh see, I didn't know they were coming out with an official rechargeable battery pack, so that's useful info right there! I'll definitely be getting an extra controller as well.

Oh see, I didn't know they were coming out with an official rechargeable battery pack, so that's useful info right there! I'll definitely be getting an extra controller as well.

You can pick both up at the same time for a reduced price, local stores might have a special on the price but you can also head online and purchase the bundle at ozgameshop for a decent price: http://www.ozgameshop.com/xbox-one-accessories/official-microsoft-wireless-controller-with-play-and-charge-kit-xbox-one

Thanks for the tip. But I don't Kinect everything I do. Though it's smooth, sometimes I don't feel like talking...

If you don't want to talk, just click the text box in the bottom right of the home screen to type in your search. Enter action games, racing games etc. Works easiest with SmartGlass for typing

Right now I feel the ui aspects are deliberately done to make you use the voice controls. Without voice if you want to get to messages, you have to go home, go into your social app, go down to messages and fire up the messages, you can shorten it if you pin the app but it just removes 1 step. Ditto for friends list. However in game say "Xbox go to messages" it'll jump right from the game to the relevant app.

I miss the 360 guide, I hate how every app has a splash screen to load, unless it's recently been in memory. I feel apps like messages, friends, settings etc should always be in memory.

Right now I feel the ui aspects are deliberately done to make you use the voice controls. Without voice if you want to get to messages, you have to go home, go into your social app, go down to messages and fire up the messages, you can shorten it if you pin the app but it just removes 1 step. Ditto for friends list. However in game say "Xbox go to messages" it'll jump right from the game to the relevant app.

I miss the 360 guide, I hate how every app has a splash screen to load, unless it's recently been in memory. I feel apps like messages, friends, settings etc should always be in memory.

Voice is obviously the fastest because it is a single step and faster than 360, but if you pin it, it is the same amount of steps as 360 with a controller. Personally I always use voice because you can't beat it with a controller, it is just the fastest way but for apps I use a lot I do pin them for fast access. Also if you have a phone or tablet, messages is always on the home screen of your SmartGlass app.

If you don't want to talk, just click the text box in the bottom right of the home screen to type in your search. Enter action games, racing games etc. Works easiest with SmartGlass for typing

I forgot that you could just type that out in search. That's helpful.

I have always seen the new dash as a replacement for the 360 mini-guide. I have been taking note of various actions I would take via the mini-guide to see if its faster or slower now. Some things aren't as fast, but for me, messages is not one of those things. It doesn't feel any slower to get to.

On the 360, I hit the guide button, then I shift to the section with messages, then I click to go into messages

On the X1, I hit the dash button, then either click on the Message tile in the main box, or I shift to the side and click on the tile in my pinned list

I do agree with you though that they could make accessing other parts of the system faster.

At least you can email yourself a picture of your Avatar Gamerpic, I remember the Xbox 360 ones were so small they were blurry even on MSN Messenger.

1080x1080 glory!

post-350302-0-72188800-1387153396.jpg

Stay out of my territory Xbox One

• Like 3

At least you can email yourself a picture of your Avatar Gamerpic, I remember the Xbox 360 ones were so small they were blurry even on MSN Messenger.

1080x1080 glory!

attachicon.gifavatar.jpg

New command: Xbox Say My Name

1080x1080 glory!

attachicon.gifavatar.jpg

How do you email yourself a picture of your avatar?

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I would see how many are doing it.

Who has gone in and enabled the 'Resume games quickly (Beta)' option under the power settings?

I know some of you mentioned issues with performance of the dash and I wonder if enabling that features could improve your experience. I've had that on since day one and I also haven't run into the same slow downs as some, so that could be a coincidence or related.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I would see how many are doing it.

Who has gone in and enabled the 'Resume games quickly (Beta)' option under the power settings?

I know some of you mentioned issues with performance of the dash and I wonder if enabling that features could improve your experience. I've had that on since day one and I also haven't run into the same slow downs as some, so that could be a coincidence or related.

I could have sworn that feature was already ticked for me, I thought that was a default setting? :huh:

I could have sworn that feature was already ticked for me, I thought that was a default setting? :huh:

I don't believe it was. Since its listed as beta my guess is they didn't have time to complete testing with all games before launch so they didn't want it on by default.

There is another 'beta' features in settings and it was off by default.

I don't believe it was. Since its listed as beta my guess is they didn't have time to complete testing with all games before launch so they didn't want it on by default.

There is another 'beta' features in settings and it was off by default.

That makes sense, I must have just liked the sound of quick resume and turned it on when I was in settings for the first time.

Even with this on though, I haven't noticed any issues with the Dash. I think it is quite snappy.

How do you email yourself a picture of your avatar?

In the menu where you're choosing your custom gamerpic of your avatar, once you've taken the PIC you get 2 options. "Use as gamerpicture" and "email picture to self"

These Eneloops work fantastic for me, last forever.

http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries-Position/dp/B004RP2VNI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387211786&sr=1-2&keywords=eneloop

71r0XHYKRTL._SL1000_.jpg

post-61856-0-18716200-1387289840.jpg

post-61856-0-47849700-1387289845.jpg

Picked mine up last night.. Got it at Target and got the 5% off :)

Unpacked it, replaced my xbox 360 in the entertainment center.. wasn't too bad.. The size of the One is big.. but not as bad as some people make it out to be.. 

Setup was a pain in the ass, I forgot my xbox live password and using the controller to type everything was annoying. But, you have that with all three systems.. Besides me forgetting my password, everything went smooth.. 

I couldn't figure out how to put it in Standby mode.. with the PS4, it is pretty easy.. I was hoping to download KI overnight but I couldn't figure it out.. Any help would be great :) 

I haven't bought any games yet because I went to target and it was around 9:30-10 when I got there and went to Toys R Us, because I thought they had their games buy one get one 40%, but that is only for games that are $19.99 and less. I plan on picking up Dead Rising and Just Dance 2014. Also, the Halo game that comes out next week.. Kinda want to pick up Ghost because some of my friends have it for the One, but I already have it for the PS4.. Wish you could link the COD accounts.. but, oh well.. 

• Like 2

attachicon.gifIMG_20131216_220922.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20131216_230100.jpg

Unpacked it, replaced my xbox 360 in the entertainment center.. wasn't too bad.. The size of the One is big.. but not as bad as some people make it out to be.. 

Setup was a pain in the ass, I forgot my xbox live password and using the controller to type everything was annoying. But, you have that with all three systems.. Besides me forgetting my password, everything went smooth.. 

I couldn't figure out how to put it in Standby mode.. with the PS4, it is pretty easy.. I was hoping to download KI overnight but I couldn't figure it out.. Any help would be great :) 

I haven't bought any games yet because I went to target and it was around 9:30-10 when I got there and went to Toys R Us, because I thought they had their games buy one get one 40%, but that is only for games that are $19.99 and less. I plan on picking up Dead Rising and Just Dance 2014. Also, the Halo game that comes out next week.. Kinda want to pick up Ghost because some of my friends have it for the One, but I already have it for the PS4.. Wish you could link the COD accounts.. but, oh well..

Just either use the controller, or say "Xbox, go to settings"... In settings you will see "Power & startup" in bottom of screen.

In middle of screen you will either see Power Mode: Energy saving (which turns turns the console all the way off)

Or Instant On option, in which you can do Xbox On, automatic updates, and Resume games quickly (you can basically start where you left off at).

attachicon.gifIMG_20131216_220922.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20131216_230100.jpg

Since I have KI, I can tell you, there are two different ways. Either go to Xbox Store and search for KI or http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/killer-instinct and choose: "Buy Download" It will be free to download. You can purchase the other packs or characters in game. The site shows you.

Just either use the controller, or say "Xbox, go to settings"... In settings you will see "Power & startup" in bottom of screen.

In middle of screen you will either see Power Mode: Energy saving (which turns turns the console all the way off)

Or Instant On option, in which you can do Xbox On, automatic updates, and Resume games quickly (you can basically start where you left off at).

Since I have KI, I can tell you, there are two different ways. Either go to Xbox Store and search for KI or http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/killer-instinct and choose: "Buy Download" It will be free to download. You can purchase the other packs or characters in game. The site shows you.

Thanks! Everything downloaded just fine.. 

Not sure how much I like the interface.. lol

Thanks! Everything downloaded just fine.. 

Not sure how much I like the interface.. lol

The interface does get a bit getting used to. I'm sure they will make some tweaks as certain things are just not efficient or existent.

• Like 2

So I spent the last few weeks missing the Guide on the 360, but after turning on that old beast today to check out the Countdown to 2014 deals........ yeah I don't miss it as much after using it again haha.

I've actually become accustomed to the One interface now, as soon as I turn on that console I start up Achievements and then go to whatever game I want to play so that I can avoid that little 10 second loading time later. Still hoping to have another update soon so I can see my damn Battery Level!

Still hoping to have another update soon so I can see my damn Battery Level!

I want this one so badly. Though I learned that if I turn the controller up and over and look at the two 'red' lights flashing - they flash faster when the battery is low and it is constantly trying to connect and align. It has worked for me so far.

• Like 2

Wanted to quickly congratulate everybody that got an X1, enjoy! MS decided to not release it where I live, which is a shame cause I've been enjoying Xbox 360 since 2006 and this is a strong market for Xbox/MS in general, but I guess they have their considerations. At any rate, glad to see many neowinians having fun with X1!

The interface does get a bit getting used to. I'm sure they will make some tweaks as certain things are just not efficient or existent.

I hope so :D

Wanted to quickly congratulate everybody that got an X1, enjoy! MS decided to not release it where I live, which is a shame cause I've been enjoying Xbox 360 since 2006 and this is a strong market for Xbox/MS in general, but I guess they have their considerations. At any rate, glad to see many neowinians having fun with X1!

Yeah, hopefully your able to get access to them not far into 2014.

There should have been a couple more updates by then as well, so things should improve overall by then.

• Like 1