Movies about space and space exploration

I'm only thinking off the top of my head but I've watched and enjoyed:

• 2001 - A Space Odyssey (1968)
  • 2010 - The Year We Make Contact (1984)
  • Armageddon (1998)
  • Elysium (2013)
  • Europa Report (2013)
  • Gravity (2013)
  • Moon (2009)
  • Prometheus (2012)
  • Solaris (2002)
  • Total Recall (1990)

I will watch Silent Running (1972) and Deep Impact (1998) at some point.

I'm watching Love (2011) as we speak.

I am not interested in Star Wars or Star Trek at all.

Any others you can suggest?

Some good picks listed above.. haven't seen Silent Running in forever. 

Just re-watched Mission to Mars a few days back, enjoyed that one.  Last Days On Mars was ok, not great but worth watching once.  Outland is kind of decent, not so much about space exploration but still decent.

The Black Hole (1979) with Anthony Perkins.

And if you want something truly stupid, one of the worst movies ever (a la Machete) but really funny and entertaining, I'd definitively recommend Iron Sky (2012).

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Capricorn One, a favorite among Moon landing conspiracy theorists (even though the mission in the movie was to Mars), or Marooned, where three U.S. astronauts are stranded in space after their retro rockets won't fire. And, the recent (albeit direct-to-DVD) Apollo 18. (It was a horror movie, of sorts, I think.) :) 

Havnt seen anybody suggest Sunshine yet, incredible film!

Seen Event Horizon also?

I was just about to. Sunshine is a very good movie.

Can we bunch in Serenity? Gattaca is about space travel, but not really. It's still an amazingly good movie.

As for movies about Mars, there are a couple: Ghosts of Mars for instance. Or Red Planet. Both pretty average to terrible.

Comedy option: Galaxy Quest.

Silent Running (1972) is great. :p

I just watched that again a few days ago on Netflix. I had forgotten how silly it was, it was one of those 70s environmentalist movies. Bruce Dern is a great actor though so that makes it worth watching. I still don't understand the point of blowing up the forest domes instead of just setting them adrift, but then nothing about the plot made much sense.  :laugh:

I also got 2001 on Blu-ray and watched it in HD for the first time. I know a lot of people think it's boring but I've always loved that movie. Still don't understand the ending at all but for me it's very entertaining and I love the realism in it (always hated shows that have roaring engine sounds in space).