How long before SSD becomes affordable ?

I would argue they are affordable now. You can get 1TB "low end" SSDs for around $400 and 512GB "high end" ones for around the same price. Of course, smaller sizes are filling every price point below that as well.

For me, at least, once you get to 256GB (laptop) or 512GB (desktop) you have enough room to get your essential programs and OS on the SSD without making a ton of compromises. I was very much anti-SSD in the early days due to size constraints. I think those constraints are gone now and they are affordable and worth the investment.

As usual, new tech is more expensive than old tech.  When new tech becomes old tech it will be at an affordable price and the current new tech will be high.  If you always want new tech, new tech will always be high priced as the demand is high and the supply is low.  Everyone wants new and fast.  As soon as everyone has one the demand will be low and the supply will be high (like current sata drives).  When computer builders start putting them in computers as a standard option you will see the price of ssd drives become affordable or price per GB/TB go down

"become affordable or price per GB/TB go down"

There is the key point price per GB or TB, use to be MB, then GB now as we get larger and larger and some point will be using cents per TB to compare costs of drives.

I picked up my Samsung 840 pro for right around $1/GB - listed size not actual ;)

So the question is when is the price per GB to be considered affordable? This is going to be a moving number and all over the board based upon income..

Does it need to get to 50 cents per GB? 0.25$ -- I currently show 3TB best price for just 3TB, not looking at anything else currently at $119 on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600083978&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

So lets call it 120$/3000GB or 0.04 per GB.. If you look at say the 120 and 128GB drives I show the cheapest at $79 for 128GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%20600038484%20600038478&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

So we get $80/128 = 0.625 per GB.. Better than the $1 I paid - but I think my drive is much better than that cheapest drive, etc.

At some point sure SSD might be 0.10$ per GB.. But would not hold off buying one till then ;) They are well worth the performance gains at current price points at least for many many people. Now if your working min wage then prob not, then again how are you affording internet access and or anything.. So why are you looking at SSD ;)

Hello,

Do you mean until they cost the same as non-SSD and have the same capacity?

Thats problably what he ment :)

I think what the holdouts are - ahem - holding out for is for SSDs to reach HDD pricing (in terms of price for capacity).

That will happen when HDD prices start to go up.  (Yes - I am quite serious, but not for the expected reason.)

Even though SSD pricing is still headed down, it is not as mature a technology as HDD tech is; therefore, on a price for capacity basis, SSDs plain and simply will NEVER - as in ever - catch that of HDDs unless HDD pricing goes up.

(While the Kingston V300 is no Samsung 840 Pro, it's no slouch, and $80USD is a very good price, even, if not especially, for Staples.)

The same Kingstons, along with  the SAMSUNG 840 standard, are $10 more at MicroCenter, while the 840 EVO and Intel 530 kits are $20 more than your Kingstons were (also at MicroCenter).

I'm holding out, but oddly enough NOT due to price (of the SSD) - I'm holding out because I want to get the other items in my build first.

Other than the SSD, I have two items left (motherboard and CPU), and since a reinstall is a necessary, I'd prefer only doing that once.

Good post.

I would like to hold out till they are the same price-size ratio but that will be near impossible: Having said that a 512GB 840 Pro is kinda expensive but you can get other models for cheaper elsewhere

When Obama signs Affordable SSD Act

Of course, you'll have to turn in your existing SSD to get a far more expensive one that "meets minimum standards". :laugh:

• Like 2

Newegg.com

WD Velociraptor 10,000RPM 600Gb : $160 ($0.27/Gb)

WD RE4 7200RPM 500Gb : $86 ($0.17/Gb)

WD Black 7200RPM 500Gb : $72 ($0.14/Gb)

Lowest SSD price on Newegg for a 500Gb drive :

Toshiba Q Series HDTS251XZSTA 512GB SSD : $300 ($0.58/Gb)

It's the price to pay for quick loading...  More than double the cost of the fastest HDD ($/Gb).

amazon.co.uk are doing a 240gb drive and it will be up for less than ?100.

Today is the second day they have ran this deal this week.

Visit here

41% have gone currently and it is a static ?95.99

2 hours 20 minutes to go

I am talking about SSD with 2tb capacity going for $140 etc or even less..

I don't think when you consider the cost of normal drives it's right to consider SSD unaffordable ... The truth is BF4 and CoD take up 80gb combined...my 120gb drive is almost maxed out.. I would love to be able to install a bunch of programs and games without needing to spend $400 and still not have enough space for music and movies...It's not affordable because you can't do what you would like with SSD alone..

I have a sammy  840 series--120gb.. 2tb and another 500gb .. But now i'm going to have get another SSD just to be able to keep my games..I had to move three games from my SSD to my HD just to have room for CoD... 

Have you thought a SSHD? Almost the level of performance as an SSD, the storage of a HDD. 

Have you thought a SSHD? Almost the level of performance as an SSD, the storage of a HDD. 

That really depends on your use case. Anything not frequently used isn't going to be cached in the flash storage or if you work with large files, you are probably evicting many things you frequently use. It is similar to doing an in-memory cache of HDD data honestly.

I'd say they're already affordable at lower capacities, but when will they be on a cost per gig parity with mechanical hard disks? Not for a fair time yet I'd say. They might be pricey but they are very much worth the investment.

I picked this one up last night at Micro Center. Intel 240GB SSD for $149 with a 5 year warranty. Best Buy wants $219. Rating is 4.5 on Amazon.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/418182/530_Series_SSDSC2BW240A4K5_240GB_SATA_60Gb-s_25_Internal_Solid_State_Drive_(SSD)

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-2-5-Inch-Internal-Reseller-SSDSC2BW240A4K5/dp/B00DTPYT78