How long before SSD becomes affordable ?

They are affordable.

You can pick a new 160gb hdd for $30 but a 120gb ssd cost approx $150. They are not so affordable

You can pick a new 160gb hdd for $30 but a 120gb ssd cost approx $150. They are not so affordable

120GB SSD cost $80-$200. Depends on what you get. Typically you'd get one that cost $80-$120 though as a consumer.

compared to how expensive they were just a couple years ago? yes they are becoming quite affordable

• Like 2

With Black Friday around the corner, you can get a 256 GB for ~$150. I'll gladly pay the $150 to get a much faster drive, lower access times, less heat/power usage, no moving parts, etc. It's 2013, I'm surprised they still sell 160 GB HDD's new...

Is this really a 4 page thread of people arguing over a relative term, and nobody saying  "well affordable is different to everyone - what price range is affordable to you ?"

I will say there are a lot of people in here that must be younger than I am because $1 / 1GB is pretty affordable. -

Is this really a 4 page thread of people arguing over a relative term, and nobody saying  "well affordable is different to everyone - what price range is affordable to you ?"

I will say there are a lot of people in here that must be younger than I am because $1 / 1GB is pretty affordable. -

I think someone did say that. In the OP's defense, he/she is a student so nothing is affordable to them ;-)

I think someone did say that. In the OP's defense, he/she is a student so nothing is affordable to them ;-)

Oh my bad :blush:  - I had a different experience in college, and unfortunately none of my friends had to deal with that so I cant say any of them even myself have enough integrity, responsibility to pay for college themselves and make it through to make a better life.  We were all given everything - hence the reason for me being so shallow  :)

I gree that first SSD's need to overtake mechanical HD's in size, and with a little luck, it may happen faster then we can keep track.

I picked this one up last night at Micro Center. Intel 240GB SSD for $149 with a 5 year warranty. Best Buy wants $219. Rating is 4.5 on Amazon.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/418182/530_Series_SSDSC2BW240A4K5_240GB_SATA_60Gb-s_25_Internal_Solid_State_Drive_(SSD)

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-2-5-Inch-Internal-Reseller-SSDSC2BW240A4K5/dp/B00DTPYT78

Yeeks.

The price has since gone up - by all of $10USD.  (Both the MicroCenter locations near me have 10+ each in stock - and even the current price is all of $0.67USD/GB - sixty-seven CENTS US per billion bytes of storage, where 1 GB = one billion bytes.)

Only the weather could keep me from taking advantage of current prices. (The current prices end this coming Sunday at the earliest.)

To put the price and capacity in perspective, my first SATA HDD was smaller, and cost more. (Maxtor DiamondMax 6LS200 was $249 at Office Depot, purchased new in 2004 as an XP replacement boot drive.)