Daily operations on xbox one - powering off question

My Dish Hopper is run through my Xbox One, then outputted via HDMI to my AV Receiver.  My Tv is hooked up to my receiver.  I use a logitech harmony remote to control the dvr.  My question is this.  At the end of the day, do most of you leave the xbox one on?  I usually power everything down with the power button on the harmony remote.  I've found that if I say "Xbox turn off" the tv is always left on.  Not sure if this is how it's suppose to work, but this is why I power everything (hopper/av receiver/xbox/tv) down at the end of the day.  

Your TV must not be configured properly on the Xbox one, or you don't have it setup to control power to your TV. The other option could be the Kinect is too close to the TV for the IR blaster to work on it.

Thanks.  And to shut down the xbox, I either say xbox turn off or press the big xbox button on the remote?

Yes, if you use the controller method then when you hold down the silver xbox logo you'll get the same popup options like with the 360 where you have the option to turn off the controller or the console.