"Xbox On" - Not working, but other commands do

Well, the recalibration seemed to work.  Now I can turn it on by voice.  My download is limited to 2Mbps, though.  Do I need to manually open all the ports it needs?

Well, the recalibration seemed to work.  Now I can turn it on by voice.  My download is limited to 2Mbps, though.  Do I need to manually open all the ports it needs?

I wouldn't think you need any ports open for traffic/data.

I wouldn't think you need any ports open for traffic/data.

I didn't think so...  My internet has been acting up lately...

So anyone else having trouble with "Xbox On" working? I have to say it like 5 times and loud to get it to turn the console on.

I am not the only one it seems also - http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/all-if-the-xbox-one-voice-commands-work-great-except-xbox-on.453542353/

Just got off the phone with Xbox support there sending me a new Kinect for exchange. The lady told me its hardware and not software......just wanted to let you know.

i have the same issue, didnt realise it was a bug *facepalm* i just pressed the on button instead :P

Hello,

I believe, like someone mentioned, its a interfernce thing. The reason other commands work and that one doesnt work is because the "Xbox On" command is problably more "fine tuned" to say it exactly like that to prevent accidental turn ons.....

My theory at least :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, the replacement Kinect didn't fix issue and now waiting on a replacement console. Just spent 2 hers on the phone trying everything we could and "Xbox on" still doesn't work. I was told its an internal software issue and the only way to resolve it is to replace console. I will let you guys know how it goes...

Just an update, the replacement Kinect didn't fix issue and now waiting on a replacement console. Just spent 2 hers on the phone trying everything we could and "Xbox on" still doesn't work. I was told its an internal software issue and the only way to resolve it is to replace console. I will let you guys know how it goes...

Yeah let us know because I am still dealing with the issue, if it fixes it for you, I will start a console replacement advanced RMA on the service page.

EDIT: Ehh screw it, I just setup an advanced RMA anyway... isn't going to hurt to try. Dunno about outside the US, but US people can use - https://myservice.xbox.com/en-US/Pages/Welcome.aspx and do it themselves.

I hope you guys get it fixed with a replacement console.

If it is some sort of software bug that is actually good news for users since its not some kind of universal flaw. Since a lot of us have had better luck, then it supports that theory.

Definitely keep us updates on the progress of your replacements.

I hope you guys get it fixed with a replacement console.

If it is some sort of software bug that is actually good news for users since its not some kind of universal flaw. Since a lot of us have had better luck, then it supports that theory.

Definitely keep us updates on the progress of your replacements.

If it were software bug it would be universal, they have the same software and update the same time as everyone else.

Sounds like a hardware fault, when I picked up my PS4 I asked about faulty returns and he said both consoles haven't got any returns except for a few xbox ones which only had a faulty kinect but the console itself was fine.

Sounds like the issue your having faulty kinect.

If it were software bug it would be universal, they have the same software and update the same time as everyone else.

Sounds like a hardware fault, when I picked up my PS4 I asked about faulty returns and he said both consoles haven't got any returns except for a few xbox ones which only had a faulty kinect but the console itself was fine.

Sounds like the issue your having faulty kinect.

Those guys already replaced their Kinect units.  Support concluded that it would be worth replacing the consoles as well.

Voice commands on the X1 are iffy at times. Sometimes I am yelling at the TV while other times, I am talking in my normal voice.

Is Kinect placed close to your speakers and do you have to yell when there is loud audio coming from the speakers?

My Xbox (and Kinect) actions are starting to concern me.

I decided to fire up my One (with "Xbox On" command) last night for the first time in about 2-3days. And noticed that Xbox On wasn't working at all. Tried this several times. Used the controller and the console booted up, loaded my profile and everything seems to be working fine...

Turn off the console, tried Xbox On again. NOTHING. Not gonna panic. Decided to go into the settings turn off "Instant On Mode), unplugged the Xbox One from Power for about 10seconds, plugged it back in.

Did a cold boot, re-calibrated the The Kinect, rebooted the console again, turned Instant On back ON, rebooted again (All using the controller).  Went through the console with the controller and voice. all seems good..  

Now the test:  "Xbox Turn Off" "Yes". Good, Xbox turn off is working fine. Xbox On, Nothing again. Ok. Xbox On, the One turns on, but upon turning on, my profile is only half loaded. My gamertag is present, but when clicking on any icon (games, apps, etc) nothing happens. Click on Peggle, the title shows up never loads into a game. Click on NBA 2K14, Title pops up. minutes later, nothing happens... Click on Max and the Curse of the Brotherhood... minutes have gone by and nothing happens.  Click on settings, makes the sound effect for button press, but never goes into settings, click on Store, it makes the sound effect but never enters the store, click on the Blu-Ray app, makes the sound effect and it never enters the Blu-Ray App.

OK... Unhook the Kinect from the One, and Unhook the One from power, count to 10, hook the Kinect back to the ONe, and Hook the One back to power.  Grab the controller, and turn the One on.  It turns on without issue, loads my profile without issue now.  Go to a few games, NBA 2K14, check.  Max:CotB, check, Peggle 2, check.  Ok, cool.  Put in the Hobbit Blu-Ray, it loads up and it plays, check.  Go to the Store, and all store items are accessible.  Cool.

Go back to settings, and re-calibrate Kinect.  Turn Instant On back on. Turn on with controller and turn back on with controller.  Everything loads fine again.  Turn Everything back off with controller.  Now the Test again.

"Xbox On", it turns on instantly again, and loads the profile without issue.  Voice commands are working like a charm again.  Xbox Turn off.  Yes.. System turns off without a hiccup.  (I do Xbox "On" "Off" a few times now) and it seems to be pretty responsive again.

Took a 1/2hr out of my life, but at least I don't have to get on the phone with Microsoft about this (for the time being at least).  I'm on vacation after today, and this is something, I don't want to have to deal with while on vacation (or at anytime for that matter)

Took a 1/2hr out of my life, but at least I don't have to get on the phone with Microsoft about this (for the time being at least).  I'm on vacation after today, and this is something, I don't want to have to deal with while on vacation (or at anytime for that matter)

Hmmm. So was the system really in standby when you tried to turn it on the first time?  It didn't do a cold boot did it?

I'm not sure if this could be introducing problems, but you could go into your power settings and disable the 'beta' option for resuming games.  Perhaps leaving the system in standby for a while with that option enabled is leading to some kind of issue that requires a hard reset. 

I have had the console sitting in standby without use for probably 3 days straight and yet it did come on as I expected after that. 

Maybe there is an update involved that failed in some way as to put your system into this kind of daze. 

Hmmm. So was the system really in standby when you tried to turn it on the first time?  It didn't do a cold boot did it?

I'm not sure if this could be introducing problems, but you could go into your power settings and disable the 'beta' option for resuming games.  Perhaps leaving the system in standby for a while with that option enabled is leading to some kind of issue that requires a hard reset. 

I have had the console sitting in standby without use for probably 3 days straight and yet it did come on as I expected after that. 

Maybe there is an update involved that failed in some way as to put your system into this kind of daze. 

It's been in "Instant On" and "Fast Resume Games" since initial setup (didn't want to see the green screen again)

Re-Calibration didn't bother me in the least.  The one thing that did concern me, was when clicking on games and apps, nothing would happen.  For games the title splash screen would come up and just sit there.

For apps nothing would happen at all.  That was more concerning than anything else.  I have a feeling that my One may have to be replace, but it better not be before Christmas.  My friend lost all his save data (thought games were saved in the cloud) when they replaced his One.

Sounds like a software issue Showan, If there is bug report method on the X1 might as well report the issue and hopefully they'll look into it and patch it down the track.

I have found that you have to have the Xbox One region set to the US otherwise the" xbox on" feature does not work.

Ok so got the replacement console today and set it all up, right after I set it up I walked about 10 feet away and turned it off, then said "Xbox.. On" and it came on, which is a first from that position without having to yell it or get really close. I'll test it some more in a bit.

One thing of note, the optical drive when ejecting on this unit is considerably louder then the other (silent). I don't really care since it's under warranty till like March 2015 or whatever. 

Update this later once I test more.

Posted about it here before, still does the same. Mine happens when saying "xbox on" in the morning, being off through the night. To me it seems it happens more often or maybe everytime, when turing off the unit with the voice command "xbox turn off-Yes". When turning it off with the controller at night, then turning it on with the voice command in the morning, it doesn't seem to happen. Maybe something to that, I don't know yet.

Yes, I've recalibrated several times, with the volume up loud and really loud, and this is always in a dead silent room.

The command works, it's just not very responsive as it should be. Seems as after hours have passed, it goes into too deep a sleep state to hear the command at a distance. Doubtful it would be a hardware issue. My opinion on it anyway.

I have found that you have to have the Xbox One region set to the US otherwise the" xbox on" feature does not work.

Mine's set to Australia and "Xbox On' has never worked for me.

Then again, most voice commands don't, "Xbox turn off" is the only reliable one (Which is hilarious)

"XBox On" has actually been the most consistent Kinect 2 feature for me. About the only one tbh, but it works 99% of the time.
Not just for me either, for anyone who tries it (meaning Wife, Family, Etc.).
Just interesting reading about all of the different experiences people seem to be having with the One itself.

Consistency is not a word that will be tossed around when discussing the One it seems, at least not for quite some time.