"Xbox On" - Not working, but other commands do

Make sure that when you calibrate Kinect that you turn up the volume on your speakers to a point that is a bit higher than what would be comfortable.  Basically, you want it loud.

I discovered this during my own testing.  The higher that test volume is, the better voice commands work across the board, even the 'Turn On' command.  So you can try recalibrating.

The X1 is set to turn off by default after some inactivity, but you can disable that if you want.  I wouldn't think it has any effect on that voice command, but I have it disabled on my system.  Of course, make sure that you see the white led light on the power brick when its off, that tells you its hibernating and not completely off, which does disable that command.

If you go through this stuff and you still can't get the command to work at all, try it at different distances from Kinect.  Mine is able to pick me up within 6ft at a normal voice for the 'Turn On' command. I can raise my voice a bit and push that out to maybe 10ft.

If you find you have to get real close or be way too loud even after you recalibrate it, then I suggest going through MS support either online or the phone.  There were some faulty Kinects showing up shortly after launch, so you could have an issue here.

Xbox On doesn't work for me after the console gets a dashboard update. Once the update is installed, then it allows the use of Xbox On again.

Xbox On doesn't work for me after the console gets a dashboard update. Once the update is installed, then it allows the use of Xbox On again.

You'll notice that when you get a dash update, your power brick will have the orange light.  It forces a complete shut down, so voice commands don't work at all. 

You'll notice that when you get a dash update, your power brick will have the orange light.  It forces a complete shut down, so voice commands don't work at all. 

I can't see the powerbrick (hidden behind the entertainment center), but that is correct. I was thinking maybe this person had an update and it wasn't working for them at first.

"Xbox On" worked the very first time (after updating), but never worked again. I'm from Connecticut, so I would assume my voice and accent are well within Microsoft's "core" demographic for Kinect. But it only worked once. Even the other commands, when the Xbox is on, are spotty. And the lack of natural language support is extremely frustrating too.

The system is woefully under-developed, especially since it's the the biggest pillar of the Xbox One.

Voice is still buggy.  Depending on the mood of the X1, depends on how loud/soft I have to say voice commands.  And sometimes when I say something, something else opens on the X1.  Only time I had an issue with it not starting up normally with voice was when there was a X1 update.  I have had it several times say I need to use the controller to signing tho even tho it recognizes my voice commands.

This is supposed to be a key feature on the X1 and its more of a PITA than anything ATM.

Yeah on and off commands seem to work fine now. I do find that while watching TV, I have to shout or repeat commands. It's no wonder because the Kinect hears what's being played and your voice. I've been trying to figure out if I should calibrate it with the speakers loud or soft.

Yeah on and off commands seem to work fine now. I do find that while watching TV, I have to shout or repeat commands. It's no wonder because the Kinect hears what's being played and your voice. I've been trying to figure out if I should calibrate it with the speakers loud or soft.

You are supposed to calibrate with your speakers turned up as loud as you can handle it.

For you guys that are consistently seeing issues using voice, you really should complain to MS and perhaps get a replacement for Kinect.  It seriously should not be working that badly for you.

If it was working that badly for me, I would have already called them and setup a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it sounds like there may be a software fix in the works for those of you plagued by the 'Xbox On' command not working for you.

The latest preview pushed to beta testers includes a fix to this very symptom, so hopefully it will fix it for everyone once its officially released. 

Well it sounds like there may be a software fix in the works for those of you plagued by the 'Xbox On' command not working for you.

The latest preview pushed to beta testers includes a fix to this very symptom, so hopefully it will fix it for everyone once its officially released.

Excellent. Figured it was something they'd be able to patch.

Hopefuly the april update will fix it.  Kinect voice commands work 95% of the time for me now except Xbox ON which always ends up turning into XBOX TURN ON GOD DXXXXX!!!! Then just using the controller.  I have checked that the power brick is showing that its just in standby and not all the way off.   My friend just got a titanfall bundle xbox one and his commands are working even better than mine and xbox on works flawlessly.  IM guessing it just has something to do with the fact I keep it dim in my living room all the time but it still seems to recognize me pretty quick when i walk in the room.  I actually wish they would add an option to just walk in the room and raise my hand and it would turn everything on but just xbox on working would be awesome for me.

I actually wish they would add an option to just walk in the room and raise my hand and it would turn everything on but just xbox on working would be awesome for me.

the downside to that is that it would require Kinect to have more power while the system was in standby since currently, only the mic portion of Kinect is getting power while in standby.

• 4 months later...

I still get this problem. Just ignores me when I say "Xbox On" all other commands are good. Anyone had any luck with why?

I still get this problem. Just ignores me when I say "Xbox On" all other commands are good. Anyone had any luck with why?

I don't know where the problem lies, but I would at least make MS support aware that you are still having this issue. My guess is that its a software issue, something related to what happens to the Kinect mic while the system is in standby.

I'm not sure if it would help, but there is a new 'Voice Studio' app that MS put out that has you speak several phrases while loud audio is being played. They are using it to improve the service, so you could try that out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Ive seen that but its just a research tool. I have a relatively clear voice with no discernible 'strong' accent except when i'm drunk :D

Think I will get in touch with support but can't see what they can do.

Yeah Ive seen that but its just a research tool. I have a relatively clear voice with no discernible 'strong' accent except when i'm drunk :D

Think I will get in touch with support but can't see what they can do.

When my Xbox one ignored that command I fixed it with a hard reset.

• Like 1

When my Xbox one ignored that command I fixed it with a hard reset.

Is hard reset different from a Factory reset? I've done 2 of those from within the settings.