Lets settle this: Graphics or gameplay?

Graphics or gameplay?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What should a game have better?

• Graphics
    • Gameplay

Hello,

This goes for everything from the Magnavox Odyssey to the Xbox One to your new gaming PC.

What should games be developed: For gameplay or for graphics?

Let the (following Neowin rules) war begin!

A game with poor gameplay is no fun, no matter how pretty it is, just an overglorified tech demo otherwise.  I've seen plenty of old games with poor graphics (by today's standard) that are just a lot more fun to play than current stuff.  Gameplay > graphics every time.  Graphics does matter, but without good gameplay, who cares?

Gameplay, but why not both?

There's also a difference between a developers choice to funnel more money into one or the other (budget restrictions), and hardware limitations/boundaries that no amount of money would change.

• Like 3

A game with great graphics can be boring.   However I would rather play a game with good game play and great graphics than a game with good game play and good graphics.  For me I want the best of both.  I would rather play a fun game with amazing graphics than an amazing game with crap graphics.  

I think Minecraft is the best example of gameplay over graphics.  I think its safe to say that Minecraft is one of the worst looking games currently being played but also has a huge following.  I agree that there should be both in todays market due to the power of the systems today.  If it was all about graphics people wouldnt be playing old zelda and final fantasy games.

I think Minecraft is the best example of gameplay over graphics.  I think its safe to say that Minecraft is one of the worst looking games currently being played but also has a huge following.  I agree that there should be both in todays market due to the power of the systems today.  If it was all about graphics people wouldnt be playing old zelda and final fantasy games.

Due to scope Minecrafts graphics can actually be quite taxing :P Although JAVA doesn't help....

If you use stock graphics.  I use nice HDR graphics that make it look super realistic and nice.   Also, there are people that find nostalgia in old graphics.  Personally I have skipped past a lot of indie titles purely based on the graphics.   I have also bought games purely based on the graphics.

I think back to all the games I played as a kid and realize that graphics had little to do with it.  Hell, sometimes nothing considering how much I like Zork et al.  

• Like 1

It cannot be settled. While good graphics is very straightforward - just throw more candy on screen -, good gameplay is not, is very subjective and varies heavily among genres, among players themselves, among systems (PC vs console) and, I repeat, is very subjective. Anyone is likely to pick gameplay, but we must remember most of us have our own, different from many, ideas of what constitutes good gameplay.

Gameplay always comes first for me, but I'll actually choose art style over graphics.

hmmm well, some art styles I just can't stand and they turn me off from games, but if you simply compare stylized games to "realistic" games, you can compare WoW to EQ2. WoW looked horrible compared to EQ2 at launch. and while WoW's graphics haven't really changed in any major way, while EQ2 has slightly improved, if you look at them today, WoW looks "good" and EQ2 looks horrible...

realism doesn't age well, UNLESS it's really good to start with, even then it'll never age as well as stylized untill it's "perfect". That doesn't mean I want all my games to be stylized though, especially not since graphics have come a long way since then. and besides, in my head, EQ2 looks awesome with lush forests and plains, as long as I don't actually launch the game and see how bad it actually looks compared to my memories :p

Gameplay, but why not both?    <---------- THIS

There's also a difference between a developers choice to funnel more money into one or the other (budget restrictions), and hardware limitations/boundaries that no amount of money would change.

Audioxboxer.... +1000 for you.... Enjoy it.... :laugh:

Hello,

I'm not voting until there's a "both" option. Don't see why we can't have both in a good game.

Then no Half-Life 3 for you :p

Maybe thats why Valve is delaying it so much because they dont have a "Both" option :shifty:

Hello,

Then no Half-Life 3 for you :p

Maybe thats why Valve is delaying it so much because they dont have a "Both" option :shifty:

ugh overrated games, I don't get the fandom about them, the gameplay isn't and wasn't that great in them. 

A game with poor gameplay is no fun, no matter how pretty it is, just an overglorified tech demo otherwise.  I've seen plenty of old games with poor graphics (by today's standard) that are just a lot more fun to play than current stuff.  Gameplay > graphics every time.  Graphics does matter, but without good gameplay, who cares?

Agree 100%. :)

Gameplay has always been more important as a game could have really amazing graphics, but has rubbish gameplay that means you'll probably only play the game a couple of times and then think about a game like Minecraft, which is the opposite as it has questionable graphics, but has great gameplay, which means high replay value. :)