Lets settle this: Graphics or gameplay?

Graphics or gameplay?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What should a game have better?

• Graphics
    • Gameplay

having the best of both worlds such as GTA V.  In fact, beautiful graphic motivate people to try out a game and gameplay will determine the fun and excitement of the overall game. As of today, graphic is yet to make the biggest leaps with PC GPU. That's where it will shine in lieu of consoles.....

I've just completed Ryse, and I can tell you right now, if it didn't look so damn good, I wouldn't have bothered. So the graphics definitely had a huge part to that game being successful. The story telling was pretty good too. Gameplay? Nowhere to be seen.

Did I enjoy the experience? Yes I did.

Am I glad I bought it? Yep.

Will I ever play it again? Nope.

Will I be trading it for another game? asap.

I've just completed Ryse, and I can tell you right now, if it didn't look so damn good, I wouldn't have bothered. So the graphics definitely had a huge part to that game being successful. The story telling was pretty good too. Gameplay? Nowhere to be seen.

Did I enjoy the experience? Yes I did.

Am I glad I bought it? Yep.

Will I ever play it again? Nope.

Will I be trading it for another game? asap.

The other question would be...

If it wasn't one of the launch titles for the XB1. Would you have bothered buying it at all?

I'll vote Gameplay, graphics are nice but I hate graphically beautiful games with no game, Yes Polyphony, I'm talking about you

I've played some mini games that I've enjoyed wholeheartedly and they had sub standard graphics by modern game standards, Amy for one, wasn't a great game graphically speaking compared to RE6 but I actually liked it.

I don't count watching a movie/scene as gameplay either. I can't stand games where half the "game" is watching a video clip. I think that's why I never got into Halo. UT was straight to the point.

But they're not that great any more, at least not if you actually think of it compared to modern games and not how you used to enjoy it back when they where awesome. nostalgia is a powerful hallucinogenic. 

Not true, nostalgia will only go so far, those old games are still extremely popular because of the gameplay more than anything else, lets not kid ourselves here

• Like 1

The other question would be...

If it wasn't one of the launch titles for the XB1. Would you have bothered buying it at all?

Good question. I'm not entirely sure, tbh. I mean, I bought it with every intention of trading it for another game, so quite possibly, but if I was spoiled for choice, then perhaps not at that price.

Both. A game can be awesome to play but if it is as fugly as hell then it detracts from the overall experience and vice versa.

Get a third option on the poll and i'll vote.

I think there are other aspects as well. For example, The Last of Us was a good looking game and while the gameplay was good and the combat could get repetitive towards the end but the best part of the game was probably the story. Great ending (a bit like RDR).

Blizzard's games = graphics + gameplay

Arguably on both account, none of those categories score "great" on their games anyway, good sure. but not great. 

Gameplay is most import. It is a GAME, after all. But it wouldn't hurt to have great graphics too.

Case point: The Last of Us. Great graphics, gameply and story.

Screen-Shot-2013-06-05-at-10.20.26-AM-59

On the otherside, you have great graphics, but a ###### gameplay and story: Every single Crytek game.

crysis-3-field-125hjcz.jpg

• Like 1

Not true, nostalgia will only go so far, those old games are still extremely popular because of the gameplay more than anything else, lets not kid ourselves here

Not really, while you go back and play Zelda and Mario and all those games(granted Mario and other platformers have the advantage of never really going old) you don't play them for the same hours you did as a kid, neither do you play them for the same hours kids play their games today. 

Remember when kids today grow old, the games they will look back at with nostalgia and will want modern games to be like in 10-20 years, is todays games. Not SMB.

As for gameplay on old games. lets go back slightly less far to Wind Waker. playing the HD remake now. the controls on that game are pretty horrific by todays standards. they may have been great then, but no, keep dying because he walks the wrogn way, jumps the wrong way, does stupid attack jumps that lands him in the lava after doing a special attack on the lava centipede...  Good game, decent graphics. but controls doesn't make it a great game. kids today wouldn't accept the lack of voice overs, most adults wouldn't, 6 sided barrels... yeah, even witht he stylized graphics kids today would expect the stylized barrels to actually be round ;)

On the otherside, you have great graphics, but a ****ty gameplay and story: Every single Crytek game.

Opinions, don't think yours is the only one... cause many would highly disagree with you. 

Opinions, don't think yours is the only one... cause many would highly disagree with you. 

What specifically do you disagree with? That Crysis does not have a great story or that the gameplay is not all that good? Because the user scores would indicate that people do not disagree with me.

What specifically do you disagree with? That Crysis does not have a great story or that the gameplay is not all that good? Because the user scores would indicate that people do not disagree with me.

Me specifically, I don't know I have played some Crysis games, and being a SciFi fan I like the story and the gameplay as nice clean FPS action. just because a game doesn't have puzzles up the wazoo doesn't mean it has bad gameplay. 

And while a lot of people agree with you, a lot of people disagree as well. 

Kinda useless poll, noone in their right mind could choose graphics alone over gameplay. However just gameplay is wrong, you need both for an acceptable experience. Crysis games are mindblowing visually and lack just as much on the gameplay part. Some got so attached to the way it looks they immersed themeselves in that "great" experience, but its gameplay can be beat by any Call of Duty game. (used COD since it's trendy to pick on it, it's actually miles ahead of bs Crysis)

• Like 1