(UK) BT HomeHub 5 - Home Network problem

Question

mulligan2k

as the title says since upgrading to bt infinity i received the new bt homehub 5 which works fine for the internet, but now i cant see other pc's on my home network

ive only got two i'm interested in sharing with, my downstairs win7 pc and win7 laptop.

as far as i know both are set up correctly - both network connections are set to 'home', drive sharing allowed, all the check boxes for sharing. ive tried with and without a homegroup setup

interestingly, i plugged my old home hub 3 router, connected both my pc and laptop wirelessly to it - and i can see and access each other fine

switch back to the new router and they disappear!

i cant seem to find any related options on the router setup page - ive tried disabling the firewall - and a google search is coming up blank

any ideas out there? or experience with a home hub 5?

thanks in advance

phil

16 answers to this question

Arachno 1D

I was going to say post on the BT forum but I just had a look and they dont support file sharing questions.......

Id double check your settings,are you getting a request for the file sharing password from windows or is it they are not showing under network sharing?

manroweb

Can you tell us more on how your devices are connected to the network? Maybe a network map?

Which devices are wired? Which are wireless?

Is there a setting to turn off wireless isolation?

Are you using 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? I think some of the older homehubs had an option to sync the 2 SSID's?

Are you sure you are connected to your SSID(s) and not the BT open SSID?

mulligan2k

I was going to say post on the BT forum but I just had a look and they dont support file sharing questions.......

Id double check your settings,are you getting a request for the file sharing password from windows or is it they are not showing under network sharing?

i found this thread on the bt support site - same issues as me

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-Home-Hub-5-Cannot-browse-all-devices-on-network/td-p/1088180

not showing at all

Can you tell us more on how your devices are connected to the network? Maybe a network map?

Which devices are wired? Which are wireless?

Is there a setting to turn off wireless isolation?

Are you using 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? I think some of the older homehubs had an option to sync the 2 SSID's?

Are you sure you are connected to your SSID(s) and not the BT open SSID?

just my laptop and pc both wireless connections to the router, just trying to see each other

no wireless isolation option i can see

both connected through 2.4, tried with 2.4 and 5ghz sync'd and with the 5ghz on a diff ssid to make sure im not connected to it

both connected through the hub ssid not bt open wifi

Arachno 1D

Are you showing the Home Hub media gateway in Network [as per image]?

84ba411372d389cb3c95604a60c2e0bc.png

manroweb

i found this thread on the bt support site - same issues as me

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-Home-Hub-5-Cannot-browse-all-devices-on-network/td-p/1088180

not showing at all

just my laptop and pc both wireless connections to the router, just trying to see each other

no wireless isolation option i can see

both connected through 2.4, tried with 2.4 and 5ghz sync'd and with the 5ghz on a diff ssid to make sure im not connected to it

both connected through the hub ssid not bt open wifi

Looks like a similar problem.

Are you able to ping your devices on the network?

Can laptop ping router?

Can PC ping router?

Can laptop ping PC?

Can PC ping laptop?

mulligan2k

Are you showing the Home Hub media gateway in Network [as per image]?

84ba411372d389cb3c95604a60c2e0bc.png

yep, comes up as home hub 5.0A

(notice they've dropped the 'media gateway' which also comes up on my old home hub 3.0)

Looks like a similar problem.

Are you able to ping your devices on the network?

Can laptop ping router?

Can PC ping router?

Can laptop ping PC?

Can PC ping laptop?

laptop and pc can both ping themselves and router, however neither can ping each other - gets a 'destination host unreachable'

sc302

Sounds like a firewall issue. Disable your firewall on you computer and try again.

mulligan2k

Sounds like a firewall issue. Disable your firewall on you computer and try again.

tried on both (at the same time), no change

only windows firewall running, nothing extra

also the firewall on the router is off

Arachno 1D

Looks like you may need to temporarily fit a four port wireless hub prior to this device until they respond to customer feedback by updating the firmware

mulligan2k

Looks like you may need to temporarily fit a four port wireless hub prior to this device until they respond to customer feedback by updating the firmware

thinking along the same lines, im waiting on a customer services reply about supplying me with the white openreach box that allows the home hub 3 ive still got to connect to bt infinity - the new home hub 5 is built in. sadly i moved house and bt said to leave the box at the old property. worse case theres some on ebay for about ?15

manroweb

yep, comes up as home hub 5.0A

(notice they've dropped the 'media gateway' which also comes up on my old home hub 3.0)

laptop and pc can both ping themselves and router, however neither can ping each other - gets a 'destination host unreachable'

Can they ping each other on your old router?

I still think you have wireless isolation turned on.

mulligan2k

Can they ping each other on your old router?

I still think you have wireless isolation turned on.

they ping each other fine on the old home hub 3 router

i agree some kind of 'wireless isolation setting' must be enabled somewhere, but i cant see an option to turn it off on the router page

suspect its a new security feature since BT are pushing customers to add their home wifi to BT's wifi network

manroweb

Do you have "always assign the same ip" set on your wireless devices? If so try unchecking it, and reboot router.

On previous generations of BT Home Hub's this caused issues with ping/file sharing.

sc302

Would it be possible to setup a teamviewer session so that I can poke around? I may be able to find something. I have looked through the "documentation" but the "documentation" is really setup for basic users unless the interface is so basic that it just shows wifi, lan, etc without any other configuration options. I highly doubt that. Would like to help you out. If not you can call up bt to try and help you.

+BudMan

And what profile is your network, home/private or public?

You changed out your gateway with a new device, so the mac address will change even if using the same network ip space, its almost a given that windows will see this as a new network.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753545(v=ws.10).aspx

When windows sees a new network, it should ask you what type of network.. So what did you set it too? Or when you first setup windows and it asks you what network this is, and you say home/private there is also option to treat all other networks as public. Did you set that option so you wouldn't even get asked?

Here is the thing, if you can not ping the other machine by IP.. Look at your mac address table with arp -a, do you see a valid mac for the IP your pinging? If not then you have something else wrong.. If you see a valid mac, its more than likely firewall related.

I would say your windows firewall is on because your in a public network according to windows. Or if not the windows firewall, some other security software blocking ping based upon network awareness.