Microsoft LifeCam Studio or Logitech C920?

Webcams  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which webcam should I choose?

• Logitech C920
    • Microsoft LifeCam Studio

Hello,

Ive been wanting to replace my webcam for sometime and I thinks about time. I look like sparkles lol...

My webcam is about from 2000-2001.....VGA FTW.

Anyways, jokes aside, basically I need it to be able to attach to flat screens and laptops. Also the ability to stand it up on a flat table and tilt it is nice.

There are really two cams Ive seen that stand out: The Microsoft LifeCam Studio and The Logitech C920.

Some price checking:

LifeCam Studio:

99.90? (Microsoft Store)

62.09 ? (Google Shopping)

C920:

105? (Logitech)

79,95 ? (Google Shopping)

61.39 ? ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-HD-Pro-Webcam-C920-1080p-Widescreen-Video-Calling-Recording-/300775326295?pt=PCA_Video_Conferencing_Webcams&hash=item46079b4257 )

If there are any other webcams in your opinion that should be taken a look at, go ahead and mention it :)

Thank you

I've had the Lifecam Studio for about 2 years, and it has served me well. I don't use it frequently, but when I do it's just for Skype. The microphone on it is also great. It was on sale (cheaper than the Logitech high-end webcam), so no complaints here. 

C920, I have the webcam and the it serves me so well. This photo I took is from my webcam and I love the quality. The autofocus is the best part when you're recording or videochatting since it gives 1080p. Well, the blur out in the background was photoshop, but it focuses on you very well I mean.

November 2012: 599029_226715220800835_1260565936_n.jpg

The C920 has a Dual Microphone, so people will hear you better.

I'd check out some youtube videos, so you can see the audio/video quality for yourself.

If I recall, the last time I looked, Logitech was the way to go.

Hello,

C920, I have the webcam and the it serves me so well. This photo I took is from my webcam and I love the quality. The autofocus is the best part when you're recording or videochatting since it gives 1080p. Well, the blur out in the background was photoshop, but it focuses on you very well I mean.

November 2012: 599029_226715220800835_1260565936_n.jpg

The C920 has a Dual Microphone, so people will hear you better.

Mr. XXIV I dont mean this as a racist comment or anything (if it offends you, please PM and Ill remove it) but your skin color on your face looks really pale/washed out (it ist really detailed) compared to for example your blue knit cap. My opinion on the picture but thank you anyways for that example

Hello,

Mr. XXIV I dont mean this as a racist comment or anything (if it offends you, please PM and Ill remove it) but your skin color on your face looks really pale/washed out (it ist really detailed) compared to for example your blue knit cap. My opinion on the picture but thank you anyways for that example

Nah, it's cool. But that's the exact color depth of my C920. The only edit is the blurred background. Plus, I don't go outside often since I always work on the computer for a living. :P

The specs of the two are similar - it really comes down to price and software.  (No - I'm not kidding; both are also compliant with the QVC specification at the hardware level - which means they are utterly cross-OS compatible - a major issue if you multiboot with an OS other than Windows, such as OS X or a Linux distribution.)

The Lifecam Studio is, like the 920 (and new 930e) a flagship webcam; it's also considerably cheaper than the 920 (even though said 920 is likely being deeply discounted with the launch of the 930e) - unless you use a specific feature of the Logitech webcam, why overpay for it?

I'm not saying that the 930e or 920 is a BAD camera - just that it's overpriced.

Hello,

Is it me or does besides tilting up and down, the C930e has the ability to also tilt left and right (feature missing from the C920)?

If so, Im sold.

The specs of the two are similar - it really comes down to price and software.  (No - I'm not kidding; both are also compliant with the QVC specification at the hardware level - which means they are utterly cross-OS compatible - a major issue if you multiboot with an OS other than Windows, such as OS X or a Linux distribution.)

The Lifecam Studio is, like the 920 (and new 930e) a flagship webcam; it's also considerably cheaper than the 920 (even though said 920 is likely being deeply discounted with the launch of the 930e) - unless you use a specific feature of the Logitech webcam, why overpay for it?

I'm not saying that the 930e or 920 is a BAD camera - just that it's overpriced.

The quality in the 920/930 is actually sharper, and don't get me started on the Audio, especially when it comes to light or dark. My current avatar is from my 920.

Now, I'm usually not a fan of Microsoft's PC peripherals, but I've been using the Lifecam Studio for a while, and performs consistently well, in picture quality and as stated in a post above, the mic is absolutely fantastic.

Logitech is pretty much a standard for a webcam, but the drivers seem rather messy, and my friends with Logitech webcams would have problems with "chipmunking" until they yank and replug in the USB. Not sure if it affects the Logitech models you are looking at, but the Lifecam Studio has been straight up solid.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Went back and reviewed this thread as I got a pretty good pay check coming in this month.

The C920 has:

Full HD 1080p video calling (up to 1920 x 1080 pixels) with the latest version of Skype for Windows*

720p HD video calling (up to 1280 x 720 pixels) with supported clients

Full HD video recording (up to 1920 x 1080 pixels) with a recommended system**

Logitech Fluid Crystal? Technology

H.264 video compression*

Carl Zeiss? lens with 20-step autofocus

Built-in dual stereo mics with automatic noise reduction

Automatic low-light correction

Hi-Speed USB 2.0 certified (USB 3.0 ready)

Tripod-ready universal clip fits laptops, LCD or CRT monitors

The C930e has:

Full HD 1080p video calling (up to 1920 x 1080 pixels) 720p HD video calling (up to 1280 x 720 pixels) with supported clients

H.264/SVC video compression

Supports H.264 SVC 1080p for Microsoft? Lync? 2013, along with optimizations for best call performance in single or multiparty HD video

90 degree field of view

Zoom to 4X in 1080p

Rightlight? 2 Technology for clear image in various lighting environments, even low light

Optional light application for control of pan, tilt and zoom

Carl Zeiss? lens certification

Autofocus

External privacy shutter

Built-in dual stereo mics

Automatic low-light correction

Hi-Speed USB 2.0 certified (USB 3.0 ready)

Tripod-ready universal clip fits laptops, LCD or CRT monitors

I REALLY like that you can move the C930e left and right as well as up and down, big plus :) but I do notice that it doesn have "20-step autofocus" and no "automatic noise reduction" on mic (I plan to use this as my mic for speaking too as the one I have is pretty ###### and banged up)

The quality in the 920/930 is actually sharper, and don't get me started on the Audio, especially when it comes to light or dark. My current avatar is from my 920.

I typically loathe mics from ANY webcam, because display-mounted webcams also pick up any audio source near (such as display-mounted or even nearby speakers) - it's why I prefer completely separate boom mics connected to a sound card to the mic built into a webcam (that's with any audio or VoIP application from Skype back to the original Internet Phone - the Vocaltec version from the 9x/NT4WS days) - the issue is with them all.

I typically loathe mics from ANY webcam, because display-mounted webcams also pick up any audio source near (such as display-mounted or even nearby speakers) - it's why I prefer completely separate boom mics connected to a sound card to the mic built into a webcam (that's with any audio or VoIP application from Skype back to the original Internet Phone - the Vocaltec version from the 9x/NT4WS days) - the issue is with them all.

Sure but most people don't want to bother with that and the C930e mic is very decent.

I know I'm late to this thread however, I use the Microsoft Lifecam Studio 720p and I think it's brilliant.

Two things that stick out for me: Low light is fantastic (better than my S4 [maybe that's not saying much :P]) and the microphone- that bastard picks up everything!!

I voted Logitech, but no real reason.

I always had Logitech webcams and they served me right. Apart from Skype I don't use it.

At work I have the MS LifeCam but hardly use it. The MS one is smaller, not so wide, whereas Logitech is much wider. MS will show a small red LED when activated, Logitech has two big blue arcs on the sides.

Oh yeah, one thing I like about the MS one is that you can have stupid object superimposed on your image. When I have webcam meetings you can put a crown, afro hair, weird looking sunglasses and beard, etc..., superimposed on your image. They move as your head moves, always gives a laugh to everyone :)