PS4 Media playback capabilities

I get the impression that Microsoft and Sony are both shunning the ability to use their devices as complete media solutions for content you possess in favour of subscription models (be in cloud like Netflix/Spotify/Lastfm/Xbox Music or HDMI pass through to your cable/satellite operation for the Xbox One).

On that wonderfully positive note, got to love HTPC solutions these days!

That's my worry too

Eh.. ps3 can use external though.  You loose out going to the new generation if the purchase is based on media capabilities.

You lose out for now, but since such features are promised, you can see where it is going.

His question was about next gen consoles and their media capabilities. He wasn't asking if he should keep using his ps3.

So again, if you value media capabilities in your next gen console and you need to pick one now, the best bet is the X1.

This is not some universal endorsement, just based on what the op wants to use it for.

I get the impression that Microsoft and Sony are both shunning the ability to use their devices as complete media solutions for content you possess in favour of subscription models (be in cloud like Netflix/Spotify/Lastfm/Xbox Music or HDMI pass through to your cable/satellite operation for the Xbox One).

On that wonderfully positive note, got to love HTPC solutions these days!

I still lean on my htpc because of that.

I actually think its MS that gives us a better chance of seeing a console that can take over those duties with the X1. Mainly due to their laid out plans for unifying both the backend and app stores across all devices, including the X1. MS demoed Win 8 apps running on an X1.

If MS opens up the gates to a proper app store, we will see plenty of support for local media playback.

The developers behind Media Browser are chomping at the bit to get their app on the X1. They are currently talking to people at MS to get the ball rolling.