Need opinions on an AV Receiver

So I've had a Pioneer VSX-1022-K and it's served me well, until it broke.  The HDMI passthrough stopped working so I had to run everything straight to the TV.  It also randomly restarts every so often.

So I was reading on CNet that the Sony STR-DN840 is its best buy but some of the features don't mean much to me.  I don't need WiFi since I have a wired connection there, I don't use Bluetooth or AirPlay.  I basically need a good 5.1 (not even 7.1) receiver with HDMI passthrough receiver.  At about $100 cheaper I was thinking of the Denon AVR-E300 as being a good alternative.  It seems to have all my needs covered.

Any Neowin audiophile want to give me some suggestions?

So I've had a Pioneer VSX-1022-K and it's served me well, until it broke.  The HDMI passthrough stopped working so I had to run everything straight to the TV.  It also randomly restarts every so often.

So I was reading on CNet that the Sony STR-DN840 is its best buy but some of the features don't mean much to me.  I don't need WiFi since I have a wired connection there, I don't use Bluetooth or AirPlay.  I basically need a good 5.1 (not even 7.1) receiver with HDMI passthrough receiver.  At about $100 cheaper I was thinking of the Denon AVR-E300 as being a good alternative.  It seems to have all my needs covered.

Any Neowin audiophile want to give me some suggestions?

Whats your budget?  I have been a big supporter of Onkyo as a great mid-range receiver.  I had the 606 and eventually upgraded to an 809.  I've never had any issues over the years and the 7 hdmi inputs makes adding new components very easy (I think I had all 7 filled up at 1 point).  Denon is also a great brand, solid performance but usually you pay a bit more (not always a bad thing). 

Check out this 6 series onkyo - http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR616-Channel-Certified-Receiver/dp/B0077V88W2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386170614&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+616

Also has a newer model but another $100+ for the 626

Whats your budget?  I have been a big supporter of Onkyo as a great mid-range receiver.  I had the 606 and eventually upgraded to an 809.  I've never had any issues over the years and the 7 hdmi inputs makes adding new components very easy (I think I had all 7 filled up at 1 point).  Denon is also a great brand, solid performance but usually you pay a bit more (not always a bad thing). 

Check out this 6 series onkyo - http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR616-Channel-Certified-Receiver/dp/B0077V88W2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386170614&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+616

Also has a newer model but another $100+ for the 626

Thanks for replying Jerzdawg.  I actually gave up on this thread since there wasn't much activity.  I was ready to buy the Denon but then I read it lacked Dolby Digital Plus, which is what Netflix uses so sound from Netlifx (which I use a lot) would be hit or miss.  Then I decided to look for a Sony model below the 840.  Sure enough, there was a 740 which sells for ~$300.  I did a Google Shopping search and one retailer had it for $220.  I was suspicious but it had a Google guarantee so I took the chance.  I just received it yesterday and so far so good.

I almost bought the Onkyo some months ago and had it on my Amazon wish list.  I guess I let CNet sway me on the reviews.

Thanks again for replying, though!

I have Onkyo HT-R380 5.1 receiver. Sound quality is excellent for movies. But 1 huge problem in it. It is very sensitive to voltage/current fluctuations. If I start a fan or turn on a light or Air-con, the whole audio and video signal cuts off for a sec and comes back on. Very annoying and the sole reason I might be looking for another company.

3 of my friends who have same unit have the same problem.

If you happen to get an Onkyo, check for this fault.

If you're using netflix from a computer/htpc you won't get surround anyway :/

I'm using it from an Apple TV and now from an Xbox One.

then you'll get surround :)

unfortunately for us europeans, PC is if not the only way, the easiest and cheapest way to get full netflix access. though lately Hola has started streaming really bad quality for me, as before I used to get pretty much the same as from the euro servers...

Take a look at the Sony STR-DH540. It's the 5.1 network-less version of the STR-DN840, and should in theory even sound slightly better (less THD). You've got a slight reduction on the amount of HDMI ports but 4 in 1 out should do for most. HDMI sources that don't need surround can still be connected directly to your TV, which will pass through the audio to the receiver with ARC.

And at less than $200 it's an amazing deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH540-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B00BHC7ZT4/

http://store.sony.com/5.2-channel-4k-a-v-receiver-zid27-STRDH540/cat-27-catid-All-Speakers-and-Stereo-Components

(ah, just read you go the 740 which is basically the same one with 7.1! Good deal too!)

then you'll get surround :)

unfortunately for us europeans, PC is if not the only way, the easiest and cheapest way to get full netflix access. though lately Hola has started streaming really bad quality for me, as before I used to get pretty much the same as from the euro servers...

Well, this is what a reviewer said about the Denon:

This receiver does everything it's supposed to, sets up beautifully, sounds great, is perfect, etc, except for one thing that (in certain specific cases) will really let you down. Denon receivers (not just this one) seem to have a problem decoding Dolby Digital Plus. What is Dolby Digital Plus (or DD+) you ask? Well it just happens to be the audio compression used by Netflix for 5.1 surround sound. If you plan on watching your Netflix videos through any devices that have HDMI passthrough (Playstation 3, WD TV, Chromecast, etc) then you will find your movies and shows sounding pretty cr*ppy.. hissing, audio dropoff, artifacts, garbled dialog, etc.