Microsoft ready to kill Windws RT

one options is as stated before, they COULD allow for a swap process of switching out the RT Os on surface RT tablets and run the full blown OS on surface RT. with the hardware of the RT tablets, I'm more than sure it could run it.It would allow my daughter to run desktop apps too.

Ummm RT is the full windows. Just compiled for arm and with the desktop limited cause it's not a desktop but a tablet.

More likely is that WP will move towards RT.

thanks for informing me... my mom sold her house after my dad passed away and she sent the funds so she could get my daughter a surfaceRT.. then just to bork it right off...quite lame for them to develop an OS only to later kill it. but that's MS.. they make some RELLY,REALLY good decisons and some REALLY,REALLY bone headed decisions

Get the Surface. It's a great device. I bought one for my mother, I bought two yesterday for friends.

I have no qualms whatsoever in recommending them.

Most people who bag them haven't had a chance to really try them.

It should be, though. You should be able to run full Office off your phone (if connected to an external monitor).

It's almost there. It just needs a little tweaking. The result would be amazing.

You really think you should be able to do that? With 10 minutes battey life, for sure...

Windows Phone 7.

People have VERY short memories...

well not so much short memory as this is the first I heard of it today.. :yes:

well not so much short memory as this is the first I heard of it today.. :yes:

You'd not heard of the way MS developed Windows Phone 7, knowing FULL WELL that as soon as they had the version using the NT kernel ready (WP8) that they were going to kill it off and leave the device owners out in the cold?

It was all over the tech news when WP8 was announced, and all over Neowin, too...

No one should be shocked if they decide to do it again with Windows RT.

You really think you should be able to do that? With 10 minutes battey life, for sure...

Yes, you should be able to use full Office and Photoshop on your phone when it's plugged in to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Why not?

If you have your phone plugged in to an external monitor, it could also be plugged in to recharge simultaneously. Even completely wirelessly.

Yes, you should be able to use full Office and Photoshop on your phone when it's plugged in to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Why not?

If you have your phone plugged in to an external monitor, it could also be plugged in to recharge simultaneously.

For some reason I can't really explain, it just doesn't feel right.

OK its not being killed, its being merged into one with Windows Phone. This is a good strategy.

Windows RT gets updates direct from MS update, and there is absolutely no hint of this being dropped, nor does it make sense to do so as the updates apply to all the other OS's to a large degree. Nothing exists in windows RT that doesn't exist in windows 8. All apps made to run on windows RT are actually made for the store, which also runs on full windows 8.

Windows RT in its current form is a fantastic OS when you see it for what it is, a competitor to android and iOS tablet operating systems (i.e. stop saying its bad because you cant install full windows x86 apps, because this is true on all). Its fluid, functional and 8.1 made it more so. The only thing that sets it apart from iOS and Android is the number of apps which is obviously a moving target and continuously improving (along with not being a direct feature list of the OS).

This is totally different, windows RT does not use a different codebase / kernel. If MERGED (not killed off) there is no reason to drop support, since all apps are store apps and the store will merge AND is also available on full windows 8, along with the codebase being the same as windows 8.

The windows phone 7 example is totally different, they HAD to get something out and the windows 8 kernel was not ready, I can see why it ###### people off but I also understand the need to do this. Windows RT being merged is totally different though and there is absolutely no reason or logic behind saying support will be dropped, as this would actually take effort to drop, rather than effort to support (the updates are a subset of the updates full windows 8 gets, and the apps are made for the store which lives on).

You'd not heard of the way MS developed Windows Phone 7, knowing FULL WELL that as soon as they had the version using the NT kernel ready (WP8) that they were going to kill it off and leave the device owners out in the cold?

It was all over the tech news when WP8 was announced, and all over Neowin, too...

No one should be shocked if they decide to do it again with Windows RT.

their plan up untill a few months before the WP8 launch was to be able to migrate WP7 devices to 8, in the end it just didn't work out with the hardware. 

This is totally different, windows RT does not use a different codebase / kernel. If MERGED (not killed off) there is no reason to drop support, since all apps are store apps and the store will merge AND is also available on full windows 8, along with the codebase being the same as windows 8.

The windows phone 7 example is totally different, they HAD to get something out and the windows 8 kernel was not ready, I can see why it ****ed people off but I also understand the need to do this. Windows RT being merged is totally different though and there is absolutely no reason or logic behind saying support will be dropped, as this would actually take effort to drop, rather than effort to support (the updates are a subset of the updates full windows 8 gets, and the apps are made for the store which lives on).

As I said before, RT won't be dropped, it will just become the ARM/tablet version of Windows. which is what it is today. it's the same OS just on a different architecture and the desktop/X86 emulation locked. 

I would prefer than Microsoft drop RT. It's too confusing for many customers to have an RT brand and a regular Windows brand. Most people don't seem to get the difference. They could just have WP8 on tablets and be just as effective.