How To Install A Bigger Hard Drive!

Hello,

The thing is that has anyone actually tested if over 500GB of space can be used? Maybe the Xbox One is locked at 500GB and anything else is just detected as disk full (would make sense)

• Like 1

Modder Shows Xbox One Can Boot From a Bigger, Faster Hard Drive

Despite the lack of support to swap in different hard drives (especially ones of a larger capacity) in the Xbox One, this guy says he's gotten the two pieces of hardware to cooperate. Not only that, the console runs faster with a non-stock hard drive installed.

Booting to the main screen goes about 10 percent faster with one; loading a level in Call of Duty: Ghosts goes about 20 percent faster.

Of course, installing this drive (or any) is going to void your warranty. And, as he points out, he still needs to figure out how to partition the drive so that its full capacity can be used. But the video suggests it can be done, at least.

As for why the Xbox One wouldn't support such modifications, that should be obvious. Christ, they won't even expose how much space you're using on the OEM drive. You sell a lot more peripherals and create a lot more demand for future models this way. I can't upgrade the hard drive in my iPad 4 for example, which for some reason needs 1.2 GB of hard drive space to implement a 50 MB operating system update. Oh noes! I should buy a new machine rather than delete games from the old one.

He's showing more of his work here.

Source: Kotaku

• Like 2

Yeah, like not allowing users to upgrade the the HDD in the first place  :rofl:  :rofl:

I guess its strange now when comparing it to Ps, but when MS first started using a hard drive by default, it wasn't strange at all.

I guess its strange now when comparing it to Ps, but when MS first started using a hard drive by default, it wasn't strange at all.

I'll never get the rationale for denying consumers the ability to upgrade their HDDs. It isn't an engineering or design issue.

I'll never get the rationale for denying consumers the ability to upgrade their HDDs. It isn't an engineering or design issue.

I think the easiest answer would be the chance of needing to offer support. Maybe MS just isn't interested in supporting such a thing.

I really don't think its anything sinister like MS is just evil and wants to upset users that care about this stuff. You also can't say its them being greedy either considering the fact that they will not be selling their own drives.

It would be very interesting to hear the real reason.

Sony seems to have no issue with it. You would think MS could have looked at the PS3 and determined that allowing users to add larger hard drives was of little to no risk. It isn't a huge issue, I just think it was a missed opportunity for MS & the Xbox brand.

Sony seems to have no issue with it. You would think MS could have looked at the PS3 and determined that allowing users to add larger hard drives was of little to no risk. It isn't a huge issue, I just think it was a missed opportunity for MS & the Xbox brand.

I agree, but the question remains:

why did they not do it? I really can't think of a reason at this point. Its as if they simply didn't consider it, sticking to what they have done previously, but can it be as simple as that?

The only thing this allows is for them to release a newer SKU next year with a bigger hdd for the same price.  It maintains control to an extend and helps future sales.  If the only difference between one and the other SKU is the size of the hard drive then people might opt for the cheaper (older) model with the smaller drive and just upgrade it later.     While it's possible to upgrade now it's not simple and this means that in most cases people will opt for the newer one with more storage.

It's the same thing with smartphones and tablets.  You can't change the internal storage with those, at best you can add to it with a microSD.  In the case of the XB1, once added,  you'll have the option to expand it with an external HDD.   If the external HDD option works like I hope, that is, it's treated like a giant memory card of sorts and will allow you to take it around to other XB1s with you then that's the better option.   No need to re-install games when you visit a friends house, just sign-in with your account for example and play the games off of the external drive.    It was the same thing with the 360s hard drive, you can take it out and put it into another 360 and use it.  Unlike what the PS3/4 do, the drive, once it's installed is locked to that unit, you can't take it out and move it to a new one, once it's connected/changed the system will reformat it.     So there are advantages and disadvantages to going with the model MS has decided on.   But if they handle external drives the right way then I see a huge advantage in it over having the option to easly upgrade the internal drive.

• 2 weeks later...