cannot detect wireless networks

recently i had to rebuilt the registry in my pc but since then its like windows doesnt know what to do with anything anymore lol. everything is where it should be but since i replaced the registry completely it doesnt know the programs are there despite everything being installed. so slowly ive been trying to fix everything as i notice when somethings wrong. (eg. couldnt install programs, had to reinstall windows installer) so right now im trying to connect to my wifi and its not happening, the drivers are installed for the wireless network card, the configuration program opens up just fine, but both windows and the program cant seem to find any wireless signals AT ALL, even though im in an apartment building and theres signals everywhere. manual configuration doesnt work, and i cant figure out what else to try.

are there any windows services or components i could try reinstalling to get this working right again? im assuming thats what it probably is. and is there anyway i can fix the registry other than reinstalling or updating things so they re-register in windows registry?

If you are on Windows 8 or 8.1, you can reset or repair Windows... it shouldn't take long.

otherwise, if you are on Windows 7 or older, I suggest that you wipe and clean install and you will have internet again.

Of course, do not forget to back the data up before you format/reset.

yea ive thought about it but id rather save that as a last resort.

technology fascinates me so in doing this im learning how it works and whats causing the problem and how to resolve it. id really love to try and fix this atleast rather than wipe it clean. im sure if we can fix this atleast i can get online and run updates and reinstall programs that'll help with the registry.

yea ive thought about it but id rather save that as a last resort.

technology fascinates me so in doing this im learning how it works and whats causing the problem and how to resolve it. id really love to try and fix this atleast rather than wipe it clean. im sure if we can fix this atleast i can get online and run updates and reinstall programs that'll help with the registry.

Well, good luck with that if you keep trying to fix it... because your registry is screwed...

If I were you, I'd do the reset/format and network driver will be installed automatically during the windows installation.

If you do the clean install... then you can delete the old windows folder and you have clean install...  they won't touch your data ... but I suggest you back your data up before you do that...  in case something happens to your data ...

If I were you, I should avoid the upgrade option.

"im running xp sp2"

Really sp2? So clearly your worried about security ;)

"recently i had to rebuilt the registry in my pc"

And what did you do exactly, and why would you have to do such a thing in the first place? Virus? What?

Just clean install and be done with it.

"im running xp sp2"

Really sp2? So clearly your worried about security ;)

"recently i had to rebuilt the registry in my pc"

And what did you do exactly, and why would you have to do such a thing in the first place? Virus? What?

Just clean install and be done with it.

Totally agreed.  WTF does that even entail, to "rebuild your registry"?  There's no such thing as cleanly "rebuilding your registry".  I hope the original poster had fun with his experiment--nothing wrong with that...but if his time has any value, it's time to reformat, reinstall, and move on.

The lesson to learn here is that if your registry is in a state where it's in need for "rebuilding", you've reached the point where you repave over the OS.

You could try a reinstall to the same directory which may repair the system but as suggested back up your files first.Even installing SP3 may help but its much of a muchness ........