Paul Walker Dead at 40 - 'Fast & Furious' Star Dies in Car Crash

You're clearly someone who gets ****ed off easily and fails to assess the situation as a result.

Good luck diving into those flames and pulling out what's left of the occupants.

Put yourself in the situation

Your mother/father/brother/child etc has just wrapped there car around the trees and its now on fire, people are standing around filming it, not trying to help at all just filming it

how would u feel?

people seem to forget move star or not he is still someone brother/son etc

^^ correct.

That said, Fast and Flammable is correct. The Carrera GT has a plastic frame. Carbon reinforced, so it's strong, but with a largely plastic car fire is an even higher risk than usual.

Remember that low speeds is where sports cars have the LEAST amount of grip and the highest chance of driver error losing grip.

now only is the car movign to slow for aero down force to work. but at low speeds. the engine is basically running idle, it's just waiting for you to touch the pedal just a little bit, and once you do, especially at low gear in in speed, you suddenly have potentially hundreds of horsepower right there kicking in, causing wheel speed. do this in a corner, and you have a sudden catastrophic loss of control.

Several Koenigsegg drivers have suffered from minor to major crashes because of this. they buy the car to use as a daily driver, but the car wasn't built for road driving, it doesn't want to drive at those speeds. 

How to lose control at low speed in a performance car?

Because most high performances cars are set up with a degree of over-steer, meaning the tail tends to drift in turns. This is fine on a track where you expect it and there are safety barriers, but on the street where the roads aren't perfect (even a ripple counts) even a good driver can lose it.

Back around 1970 there was a car called the De Tomaso Mongusta that had such bad over-steer it was almost undriveable. I raced in my youth, but 5 min with a Mongusta on a skid pad was enough.

Really? You think he actually accidentally drifted and fishtailed out of control that far down the straight away after this slight curve at 45 mph in excellent conditions in a 2005 Porsche Carrera GT?

You raced in your youth... Are you saying that the driver was just totally incompetent? Did you actually look at the road when you came to that conclusion?

You can actually drive (virtually) right up to the accident scene yourself with Street View :) https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hercules+st+valencia+ca

Shouldn't all you detectives be out doing real work O.o

I mean seriously, with all your training and obvious natural talent, you should be out helping society..

That's what I'm wondering too.

Shouldn't all you detectives be out doing real work O.o

I mean seriously, with all your training and obvious natural talent, you should be out helping society..

This must be you using your training and natural talent... ;)

my car at 40mph

Mine, at 40mph, with another car hitting it head on, also estimated to be 40mph.  I'll let you do the math for the estimated impact force.

100_0089.JPG

I'm not buying the 35mph theory.

This must be you using your training and natural talent...  ;)

A witty retort if ever I saw one.

I'm off to buy a fridge. Continue your arm chair detecting.

A witty retort if ever I saw one.

I'm off to buy a fridge. Continue your arm chair detecting.

Thanks for dropping your nugget of wisdom... Yes, please don't let us distract you from your real work of helping society at Home Depot tonight :)

Highly unlikely that a "former race driver" "lost control" of a high-performance car on a dry, straight, road, in daylight, whilst travelling within the speed limit.

And why dismiss, out of hand, the possibility that the driver was speeding anyway? Is it out of some misguided feeling of reverence?

Highly unlikely that a "former race driver" "lost control" of a high-performance car on a dry, straight, road, in daylight, whilst travelling within the speed limit.

And why dismiss, out of hand, the possibility that the driver was speeding anyway? Is it out of some misguided feeling of reverence?

That's why this thread is so intriguing to me. What could someone have personally invested in the idea that speeding wasn't the issue with this accident in order to make them ignore the obvious facts?

I think some are just playing devil's advocate, like @HawkMan, but the others... Your guess is as good as mine :)

Maybe if the Moon and the Sun and the stars are all aligned perfectly :)

I wish you were my dad. I could've gotten away with anything :)

You did make a slight insult. Calling someone a "wannabe forum expert" for stating the obvious is not polite.

It makes sense though, as you see this as a competition, win or lose. It's not, it's just a discussion.

I acknowledged the possibility  of careless driving and speeding.  Now you want to go around and around.  And you completely ignored my response to your statement about the driver going 70 mph.  And as I said, if the shoe fits by all means wear it, but don't accuse someone of forcing you to.  What was the insult you used earlier? Oh yeah, Sherlock.  You throw out insults yourself and then whine when you think someone may have insulted you.  So I said you win, because to me it seemed as if you were the one competing.

It was a bad crash we got it, two people died, we got that, the driver made mistakes, we got that.  Speeding and careless driving certainly may have been the main contributing factors, we got it!

I acknowledged the possibility  of careless driving and speeding.  Now you want to go around and around.  And you completely ignored my response to your statement about the driver going 70 mph.  And as I said, if the shoe fits by all means wear it, but don't accuse someone of forcing you to.  What was the insult you used earlier? Oh yeah, Sherlock.  You throw out insults yourself and then whine when you think someone may have insulted you.  So I said you win, because to me it seemed as if you were the one competing.

It was a bad crash we got it, two people died, we got that, the driver made mistakes, we got that.  Speeding and careless driving certainly may have been the main contributing factors, we got it!

Sherlock is an insult? I notice the person it was directed at didn't complain. I'm not whining, just pointing out the fact.

I didn't ignore your response. I quoted you from earlier showing that you were not simply commenting on the minimum 70 mph speed I had surmised, as you claimed. You said any mention of speed or recklessness.

You accused me of being argumentative and pedantic earlier, but I'd ask you; If that's what you believe is probably the case, then why did you contradict me and say that any mention of speed or recklessness was just pure speculation in the first place?

Mine, at 40mph, with another car hitting it head on, also estimated to be 40mph.  I'll let you do the math for the estimated impact force.

100_0089.JPG

I'm not buying the 35mph theory.

Well if you were doing 40 and he was doing 60, forces add up, but let's not discuss physics rather than saying, I agree with you on the speed.

I hit the back of a trailer truck at around 50mph,not counting I braked and skidded for like 70 the car was totaled, was lucky to be out alive and this on a Toyota Hilux 2007. So +1 To those neigh sayers saying he was doing 80-100.

Well if you were doing 40 and he was doing 60, forces add up, but let's not discuss physics rather than saying, I agree with you on the speed.

I hit the back of a trailer truck at around 50mph,not counting I braked and skidded for like 70 the car was totaled, was lucky to be out alive and this on a Toyota Hilux 2007. So +1 To those neigh sayers saying he was doing 80-100.

Oh, I know how to calculate them, I was just using it as a point that the speed doesn't match the wreckage.

Oh, I know how to calculate them, I was just using it as a point that the speed doesn't match the wreckage.

hell :wacko: it sure doesn't.

paul_walker_car_crash_-_h_-_2013.jpg

The supercar that Hollywood film star Paul Walker died in has been described by Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson as "brutal and savage".

Clarkson said drivers were on a "knife edge" handling the 612 bhp Porsche Carrera GT, which has a top speed of 205mph.

He said if you "make a mistake - it bites your head off".

There is no suggestion anyone was to blame for the crash which happened when the car hit a tree and before bursting into flames in Los Angeles.

It's 5.7 litre V10 engine - originally designed for racing but now it's in a road car and the effect is absolutely mind-blowing

"You need to be awake to drive this fast. It really isn't an easy car to control.

"The clutch is brutal, the power is savage and the handling....you really are on a knife edge. But if you put in the effort boy, oh  boy do you get the rewards.

"It is a phenomena - mind blowingly good. Make a mistake - it bites your head off."

Tragic actor Walker was pictured with the car - which goes from 0-60mph in a staggering 3.9 seconds - just hours before the shocking crash.

• Like 1

Really? You think he actually accidentally drifted and fishtailed out of control that far down the straight away after this slight curve at 45 mph in excellent conditions in a 2005 Porsche Carrera GT?

You raced in your youth... Are you saying that the driver was just totally incompetent? Did you actually look at the road when you came to that conclusion?>

All I'm saying is that

1) you can do major, fatal, damage at lower speeds which I have seen in the really real worlds ER's - far too often - and,

2) very experienced sports car drivers have lost it on the street in vehicles that are designed with over-steer characteristics. It only takes a very small mistake. As the guy from Top Gear said, make a mistake and the Carrera GT will bite your head off, just like the Mongusta.