Paul Walker Dead at 40 - 'Fast & Furious' Star Dies in Car Crash

How fast do you think he was going to do that kind of damage?

It was 3:30 in the afternoon on a warm, sunny, dry day. How many times have you ever spun out of control in those conditions when you were driving around the speed limit?

Find a wide open road get your car to about 15 mph accelerate really fast and turn your wheel really quick one direction so that you spin out of control. Take note of how your car spins out of control and think about the physics. The care will spin and fly and hope you do not slam into another object. You will be helpless and your car will be out of control. You will not gain control until your car comes to a stop and settles on all wheels. It happens when you are screwing around. Of course you can speed too.

All I'm saying is that

1) you can do major, fatal, damage at lower speeds which I have seen in the really real worlds ER's - far too often - and,

2) very experienced sports car drivers have lost it on the street in vehicles that are designed with over-steer characteristics. It only takes a very small mistake. As the guy from Top Gear said, make a mistake and the Carrera GT will bite your head off, just like the Mongusta.

So, what you're saying is that you're just throwing out random plausible reasons for an accident, but not necessarily this accident :)

Find a wide open road get your car to about 15 mph accelerate really fast and turn your wheel really quick one direction so that you spin out of control. Take note of how your car spins out of control and think about the physics. The care will spin and fly and hope you do not slam into another object. You will be helpless and your car will be out of control. You will not gain control until your car comes to a stop and settles on all wheels. It happens when you are screwing around. Of course you can speed too.

I'm not following you... Are you saying that he might have been doing donuts, or just jerked the wheel really quick in one direction? Are you saying that's how the damage could have occurred at low speed, or that's how they could have lost control?

I've done donuts before, when I was younger and even more dumber :)

But, if he did that just doing donuts, I'd be extremely surprised.

So, what you're saying is that you're just throwing out random plausible reasons for an accident, but not necessarily this accident :)

I'm saying that automatically brushing an accident like this off to speed is an error, and there's nothing funny about it. Too many people are complacent at low speeds and they shouldn't be.

Mine, at 40mph, with another car hitting it head on, also estimated to be 40mph.  I'll let you do the math for the estimated impact force.

100_0089.JPG

I'm not buying the 35mph theory.

Well a head on collision with both cars doing 40 is the same as hitting a wall at 40. of course you hit at the best possible position, head on, not partially head on either, but full frontal, using the whole front crumple zone.  front impacts aren't really comparable to this crash. 

It's likely he was speeding, but he didn't necessarily drive very fast to cause the damage he did to the car. 

I'm saying that automatically brushing an accident like this off to speed is an error.

So, you're saying that NBC was wrong to characterize the crash as being a "high speed crash" in their article, and that the L.A. County Sherriff's Department made an error this morning when they said that "speed was a factor" in the crash.

Noted... I'm also noting no other examples of what might have been the cause that can survive any reasonable amount of scrutiny.

So, you're saying that NBC was wrong to characterize the crash as being a "high speed crash" in their article, and that the L.A. County Sherriff's Department made an error this morning when they said that "speed was a factor" in the crash.

Noted... I'm also noting no other examples of what might have been the cause that can survive any reasonable amount of scrutiny  :)

Can you and the others argueing please stop it. Let the police figure this out and we should be paying our respect to some one alot of people who were fans of.

• Like 3

Well a head on collision with both cars doing 40 is the same as hitting a wall at 40. of course you hit at the best possible position, head on, not partially head on either, but full frontal, using the whole front crumple zone.  front impacts aren't really comparable to this crash. 

It's likely he was speeding, but he didn't necessarily drive very fast to cause the damage he did to the car. 

When is the last time you saw a car in pieces like that at low speed, outside of a testing facility that controls the circumstances?  Dry road, low speed, professional driver...sorry but something doesn't add up.

I think some of us are in denial, or just arguing for the hell of it.

Can you and the others argueing please stop it. Let the police figure this out and we should be paying our respect to some one alot of people who were fans of.

I'm done.

I'm not following you... Are you saying that he might have been doing donuts, or just jerked the wheel really quick in one direction? Are you saying that's how the damage could have occurred at low speed, or that's how they could have lost control?

I've done donuts before, when I was younger and even more dumber :)

But, if he did that just doing donuts, I'd be extremely surprised.

lol, No. I am saying they did not necessarily have to be going fast but they could have lost control from screwing around or other reasons and have that result without going fast.

lol, No. I am saying they did not necessarily have to be going fast but they could have lost control from screwing around or other reasons and have that result without going fast.

why you stilll fighting over this guys knockl it off please. Show some respect for paul walker.

No, I wont... I'm simply responding to those who have an argument with me. I've said what I think, and if someone wants to disagree they are welcome to, and I'm welcome and obliged to take what they've said into consideration and make a response.

The police will figure it out. And, you'll always know who the killer is at the end of a murder mystery film. Do you skip ahead to find out who the killer is, or do you enjoy the suspense and challenge of figuring it out for yourself along the way?

Paul Walker was probably a good guy, and not just an actor with fans. It is sad that he's dead.

The funny thing is, this is how I pay my respects. Please don't judge how I mourn :)

No, I wont... I'm simply responding to those who have an argument with me. I've said what I think, and if someone wants to disagree they are welcome to, and I'm welcome and obliged to take what they've said into consideration and make a response.

The police will figure it out. And, you'll always know who the killer is at the end of a murder mystery film. Do you skip ahead to find out who the killer is, or do you enjoy the suspense and challenge of figuring it out for yourself along the way?

Paul Walker was probably a good guy, and not just an actor with fans. It is sad that he's dead.

The funny thing is, this is how I pay my respects. Please don't judge how I mourn :)

No what you're doing is coming off like you're the official attorney of Neowin in how you're arguing with people. You're on the verge of some real pathetic trolling and you do it a lot on here. Not a day goes by where I don't see at least one post by you doing this and it is getting very old.

Saw you going on and on about someone coming off as a "wannabe forum expert". Might want to take a look in the mirror buddy because that is 100% what you do here on a daily basis. Not a single person on this site knows how this crash happened and you're acting like you do when it's a FACT that you can't possibly know.

You're arguing for the simple fact that you enjoy annoying others and you clearly see yourself as above others. What I quoted is proof of that.

Proof of what I say about this user can be seen by simply viewing his post history.

• Like 2

I'd have to agree it's possible, but it would've had to have been pretty crazy too :)

No what you're doing is coming off like you're the official attorney of Neowin in how you're arguing with people. You're on the verge of some real pathetic trolling and you do it a lot on here. Not a day goes by where I don't see at least one post by you doing this and it is getting very old.

Saw you going on and on about someone coming off as a "wannabe forum expert". Might want to take a look in the mirror buddy because that is 100% what you do here on a daily basis. Not a single person on this site knows how this crash happened and you're acting like you do when it's a FACT that you can't possibly know.

You're arguing for the simple fact that you enjoy annoying others and you clearly see yourself as above others. What I quoted is proof of that.

Proof of what I say about this user can be seen by simply viewing his post history.

I say what I think and I reply if someone disagrees in response. Sometimes I disagree with someone and reply to them.

I didn't say that anyone was coming off as a "wannabe forum expert". Maybe you should read that post again, and it's history since you seem so interested in my posts.

Maybe this has more to do with you disagreeing with me?

I would invite anyone to look at my post history. I would also encourage anyone to read back over this thread from my first post.

Edit:--> Attorney of Neowin... I like that :)

How terrible....

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/600/article/p2p-78396070/

>

Walker, 40, and his friend, whom witness Jim Torp identified as Roger Rodas, took a red Porsche out for a spin as a charity event held in support of Walker?s organization Reach Out Worldwide was winding down.

Torp said he heard a loud boom, and knew in his heart his friends had been in an accident. The smoke from the crash was visible from Always Evolving Performance Motors, which Rodas owned, where car enthusiasts and supporters were still gathered -- some thinking it was just a fire on a nearby hill.

His son, Brandon Torp, 28, grabbed a fire extinguisher and headed up the hill, followed by about 20 other workers, the elder Torp said.

"There was nothing they could do," he said.

Torp said his son saw his two friends burn in the car before the Fire Department arrived. Officials at the scene held back a childhood friend of Walker from pulling his body from the burning car, and firefighters had to pull Rodas? young son away from the wreckage, said Jim Torp.

>

Pretty sad, it seems from this pic that the car is kinda wrapped round the tree on the passenger side, to me that indicates a high speed "side on" impact with the tree, possibly caused by loss of control/driver error?.

1201_news_Car_Crash_dw_01_copy.jpg

respect to their friends and relatives

TMZ is now reporting there are signs of a possible steering fluid leak right before the crash. Also the skid marks left a straight line instead of a swerving pattern and were only made right before the point of impact.

Most likely Rodas were speeding, but looks like that wasn't the whole reason for the crash. Either way, sad to hear as Paul Walker always seemed down to earth and fairly humble in comparison to most celebs. I always enjoyed the FnF series no matter how ridiculous they were.

I'd have to agree it's possible, but it would've had to have been pretty crazy too :)

Looking at some of the latest photos and how the car is obliterated it is easy to assume the car was in a high speed accident but then again if the gas exploded it could destroy the car to pieces too. But one photo it looked like the car slammed into a tree and was in the middle of the car. It was hard to tell from the photo but it did not look like the tree went up the middle of the front of the car but from the back which means the car slammed into the tree from the back. Either way that was a hell of a wreck.

Looking at some of the latest photos and how the car is obliterated it is easy to assume the car was in a high speed accident but then again if the gas exploded it could destroy the car to pieces too. But one photo it looked like the car slammed into a tree and was in the middle of the car. It was hard to tell from the photo but it did not look like the tree went up the middle of the front of the car but from the back which means the car slammed into the tree from the back. Either way that was a hell of a wreck.

Another issue is that the Carrera GT has a plastic chassis. Carbon reinforced, but still plastic.

TMZ stories mentioned above

http://m.tmz.com/

>

Paul Walker may not have ever gotten into the car that took him to his death if it hadn't been acting up moments before the crash ... TMZ has learned.Paul showed up Saturday for a fundraiser at Always Evolving -- Roger Rodas' high end auto shop that specializes in exotic cars. Paul had a stake in the shop.Sources connected to Roger tell TMZ when Paul arrived ... Roger was watching one of his employees try in vain to back the Carrera GT into the shop, but it kept stalling. Roger decided to take matters into his own hands ... told the worker to get out and took the wheel himself. As Roger began to back into the garage ... Paul came up and said he hadn't driven in the Porsche yet -- so he jumped in the passenger seat and they took a 20 minute drive.The fatal accident happened on the way back from that drive -- just 500 yards from the shop

>

> UPDATE:

>

The exotic sports car in which Paul Walker violently died, crashed as a result of mechanical failure -- very possibly a steering fluid leak ... this according to sources closely tied to the auto shop where the vehicle was stored and maintained. Sources connected to Always Evolving -- the shop co-owned by Walker and the Porsche driver Roger Rodas -- tell TMZ they saw evidence of a fluid burst and subsequent fluid trail before the skid marks at the accident scene.The AE sources point to the fact there is a noticeable absence of skid marks until just before the point of impact. They say if Roger had lost control the skid marks would show swerving, but instead the marks were in a straight line. They feel this cements the theory the driver didn't have steering control. Also suspicious -- the fire spreading so quickly in the front of the car. The sources say flames would be expected in the rear where the engine is ... but fire in the front reinforces their theory of a fluid leak of some sort.

>

Just as an observation, some videos on youtube have shown the car more intact than that picture, and apart from the dad of the driver, did anyone else try to rescue them from the car?