Comparing next-gen games: screenshots from the Xbox One, PS4, and more

The Xbox One shots look dark for some reason, but at the same time, the PS4 shots are too bright for my liking. I'll be grabbing a PS4 once Infamous 2nd Son is released

There are games on the 360 and PS3 that ran in 1080. Considering Assassins Creed is one of those "We'll make it a bit sharper and release it on next-gen" games that typically surface during the crossover between generations, I have no doubt the X1 could do 1080/60 on Assassins Creed. I ran it side by side by my friends PS3 and the only real difference was sharpness.

Call of Duty Ghosts is another one of those games, make it a little sharper and release it, little bit of polish etc. It beggars belief how the filesize is so huge.

AC did not run at 1080p on the PS3 or 360. AC3 was 720p native, earlier games might even be sub-HD.

Hello,

I find it odd that games such as FIFA which have a halftime point cannot be compared in the exact samescreen shots.

I don't think this is a fair comparision because the screenshots are slightly different in all pictures.

AC did not run at 1080p on the PS3 or 360. AC3 was 720p native, earlier games might even be sub-HD.

I didn't say it ran in 1080p on 360 or PS3, I said last gen had games that ran in 1080, so it's not an impossible thing to aim for like many people seem to think. And I said Assassins Creed doesn't look that much better than last gen, just sharper, so I think the X1 would be able to run it in 1080p.

Heres a blast from past :D

bleemgt2back.jpg

Gran Turismo 2 on the bleemcast compared to the PS1 looked like an early development of Gran Turismo 3

The Xbox One shots look dark for some reason, but at the same time, the PS4 shots are too bright for my liking. I'll be grabbing a PS4 once Infamous 2nd Son is released

cuz DF too arrogant to admit their capture setup is completely broken and isn't working properly(xbox could be at fault,but theres a way to capture properly regardless, in a different mode). the sharpening effect is not a filter from upscaler, but because bad colorspace settings.

signed,

actual xbox one owner who verified results

• Like 1

So what's going on with Xbox One?

Xbox One was also acquired at full range 0-255 RGB with the dash set accordingly, in line with the other versions - exactly how we approach every Face-Off. We have now had informal confirmation from a very good source that current Xbox One hardware has issues with full-range RGB output that are not present on either PC or PS4. We asked DICE for comment and were told that they are "investigating the video output range and settings for Xbox One".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-face-off-qa

so they freely admit their captures may be broken, yet they are still doing captures and analysis on these images. that is not only unprofessional, but irresponsible. they could try to capture in limited range RGB(like some others,who don't have the same output issues), but they wont, because to them it isn't a fair comparison to the other devices(even though we cant visually perceive a difference of color between limited vs full), but they will continue to push the baseless and ridiculous claim that the upscaler has a sharpening filter. so yeah, believe what you want,i am giving my experience with what my eyes see with the device I have.

• Like 1

so they freely admit their captures may be broken, yet they are still doing captures and analysis on these images. that is not only unprofessional, but irresponsible. they could try to capture in limited range RGB(like some others,who don't have the same output issues), but they wont, because to them it isn't a fair comparison to the other devices(even though we cant visually perceive a difference of color between limited vs full), but they will continue to push the baseless and ridiculous claim that the upscaler has a sharpening filter. so yeah, believe what you want,i am giving my experience with what my eyes see with the device I have.

RGB settings do not affect sharpness. You seem like then kind of person who could have proof posted in front of them and still deny it.

Your eyes alone arent enough, unless you also own a PS4 and have been playing multiplat games side by side.

RGB settings do not affect sharpness. You seem like then kind of person who could have proof posted in front of them and still deny it.

Your eyes alone arent enough, unless you also own a PS4 and have been playing multiplat games side by side.

gamma being off can make things seem sharp,try it in ps. and I can do comparisons from a second identical screen with images posted.

• Like 1

You can change the RGB setting on the dashboard from limited to full. You would of thought if DF was doing correct captures, they would of at least checked the video settings...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I find it odd that games such as FIFA which have a halftime point cannot be compared in the exact samescreen shots.

I don't think this is a fair comparision because the screenshots are slightly different in all pictures.

I thought the same, the PS4 only had a slight advantage over the screens on the article page because the Sony screens where zoomed in more and showed closer definition.

But if you click the image in full resolution, its basically the same screen in full view and the differences are much larger.