can I replace Laptop HDD with SSD?

Generally speaking yes you can, and its a very simple process. Just firstly check that the drive bay is 2.5 inches and if it is, your good to go. Simply plug in the SSD and your ready to go.

Looking at the specs of the laptop, you should have no worries updating it with a SSD.

The specs of the hard drive connection aren't on that page but I've had an HP laptop and it had a SATA 2.5" hard drive.  I would open it up and double check.  Laptops are pretty easy to access the hard drive.  The SSD should fit right in.

(S)ATA/ATAPI Drives        

Hitachi HTS547575A9E384         [General Information]   Drive Controller: Serial ATA 3Gb/s @ 3Gb/s   Drive Model: Hitachi HTS547575A9E384   Drive Revision: JE4OA50A   Drive Serial Number: J2190054D3ASKD   World Wide Name: 5000CCA63FCF9D02   Drive Capacity: 715,404 MBytes (750 GB)   Drive Capacity [MB]: 715404   Media Rotation Rate: 5400 RPM   Nominal Form Factor: 2.5"       [Drive Geometry]   Number of Cylinders: 16383   Number of Heads: 16   Sectors Per Track: 63   Number Of ECC Bytes: 4   Number of Sectors: 16514064   Total 32-bit LBA Sectors: 268435455   Total 48-bit LBA Sectors: 1465149168   Cache Buffer Size: 8192 KBytes   Controller Type: Dual Ported, Multiple Sector Buffer, Read Cache       [Transfer Modes]   Sectors Per Interrupt: Total: 16, Active: 16   Max. PIO Transfer Mode: 4   Multiword DMA Mode: Total: 2, Active: -   Singleword DMA Mode: Total: -, Active: -   Ultra-DMA Mode: Total: 5 (ATA-100), Active: 5 (ATA-100)   Max. Multiword DMA Transfer Rate: 16.7 MBytes/s   Max. PIO with IORDY Transfer Rate: 16.7 MBytes/s   Max. PIO w/o IORDY Transfer Rate: 16.7 MBytes/s   Transfer Width: Unknown   Native Command Queuing: Supported, Max. Depth: 32   TRIM Command: Not Supported       [Device flags]   Fixed Drive: Present   Removable Drive: Not Present   Magnetic Storage: Present   LBA Mode: Supported   DMA Mode: Supported   IORDY: Supported   IORDY Disableable: Supported       [Features]   Write Cache: Present, Active   S.M.A.R.T. Feature: Present, Active   Security Feature: Present, Inactive   Removable Media Feature: Not Present, Disabled   Power Management: Present, Active   Advanced Power Management: Present, Active   Packet Interface: Not Present, Disabled   Look-Ahead Buffer: Present, Active   Host Protected Area: Not Present, Disabled   Power-Up In Standby: Not Suppported, Inactive   Automatic Acoustic Management: Not Suppported, Inactive   48-bit LBA: Supported, Active   Host-Initiated Link Power Management: Not Supported   Device-Initiated Link Power Management: Supported, Enabled   In-Order Data Delivery: Not Supported   Hardware Feature Control: Not Supported   Software Settings Preservation: Supported, Enabled   NCQ Autosense: Not Supported   Link Power State Device Sleep: Not Supported   Hybrid Information Feature: Not Supported   All Write Cache Non-Volatile: Not Supported   Extended Number of User Addressable Sectors: Not Supported   Device Encrypts All User Data: Not Supported   CFast Specification: Not Supported   NCQ Priority Information: Not Supported   Host Automatic Partial to Slumber Transitions: Not Supported   Device Automatic Partial to Slumber Transitions: Not Supported   NCQ Streaming: Not Supported   NCQ Queue Management Command: Not Supported   DEVSLP to Reduced Power State: Not Supported   Extended Power Conditions Feature: Not Supported   Sense Data Reporting Feature: Not Supported   Free-Fall Control Feature: Not Supported       [self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.)]   [01] Raw Read Error Rate: 100/62, Worst: 96   [02] Throughput Performance: 100/40, Worst: 100   [03] Spin Up Time: 176/33, Worst: 100 (Data = 1)   [04] Start/Stop Count: 99/Always OK, Worst: 99 (Data = 1797)   [05] Reallocated Sector Count: 100/5, Worst: 100   [07] Seek Error Rate: 100/67, Worst: 100   [08] Seek Time Performance: 100/40, Worst: 100   [09] Power-On Hours/Cycle Count: 90/Always OK, Worst: 90 (Data = 4626)   [0A] Spin Retry Count: 100/60, Worst: 100   [0C] Power Cycle Count: 99/Always OK, Worst: 99 (Data = 1711)   [b7] SATA Interface Downshift / Runtime Bad Block: 100/Always OK, Worst: 100   [b8] End to End Error Detection Count: 100/97, Worst: 100   [bB] Reported Uncorrectable Errors: 100/Always OK, Worst: 100 (Data = 18874368)   [bC] Command Timeout Count: 100/Always OK, Worst: 99 (Data = 4784137)   [bE] Airflow Temperature / Exceed Count: 69/45, Worst: 48 (Data = 31.0 ?C)   [bF] G-Sense Error Rate: 81/Always OK, Worst: 81 (Data = 5114)   [C0] Power-Off Retract Count: 100/Always OK, Worst: 100 (Data = 2621480)   [C1] Load/Unload Cycle Count: 98/Always OK, Worst: 98 (Data = 23647)   [C4] Reallocation Event Count: 100/Always OK, Worst: 100   [C5] Current Pending Sector Count: 100/Always OK, Worst: 100   [C6] Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count: 100/Always OK, Worst: 100   [C7] UltraDMA/SATA CRC Error Rate: 100/Always OK, Worst: 100   [DF] Load/Unload Retry Count: 100/Always OK, Worst: 100

Quote  from HWinfo64 4.26

SO, what now?

And the other question;What about the removed HDD? My guess: is an external (container) to hold it and another 3.5 inch HDD

I suggest that you should take a look at Western Digital's newly released SSD+HDD "WD Black?" product. Yes, you can have both SSD and HDD in one disk!

Take a quick look here: http://www.wd.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

Here's how it looks like:

wd-black-2.png

The base specs starts at 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD.

And for those asking if it's similar to Seagate's Hybrid implementation: no, it's not. The SSD and HDD in this WD Black? act independently as if it were two standalone drives.

I suggest that you should take a look at Western Digital's newly released SSD+HDD "WD Black?" product. Yes, you can have both SSD and HDD in one disk!

wd-black-2.png

And for those asking if it's similar to Seagate's Hybrid implementation: no, it's not. The SSD and HDD in this WD Black? act independently as if it were two standalone drives.

antastic , but the price is so high for me.

I would take that samsung drive only because it is down from 129-89$.

Bad thing is that it is not available anymore.I will try to search a canadian online store.

wd-black-2.png

Because the nature of a laptop, being moved around, bumped around and such, I would recommend 100% solid state, and no spinning drive!

antastic , but the price is so high for me.

I would take that samsung drive only because it is down from 129-89$.

Bad thing is that it is not available anymore.I will try to search a canadian online store.

The only real drawback with this solution is the price. I guess that's what paying for a premium is all about.

Because the nature of a laptop, being moved around, bumped around and such, I would recommend 100% solid state, and no spinning drive!

That may be true...but why sacrifice such huge storage for an SSD when you can have them both?

What? Laptops have been getting around with spinning drives for a long time now.  :laugh:

• Like 3

What? Laptops have been getting around with spinning drives for a long time now.  :laugh:

...and that's what G-Sensors inside mobile HDDs are for!

wd-black-2.png

Honestly, what is the benefit of this drive? It seems like a solution in search of a problem.

The worst part is this using a single SATA wire. So you'll suffer performance since only one drive can be on the wire at any given time.

If you need a dual drive solution then a mSATA SSD + standard laptop HDD would achieve the same results without the performance loss or added complexity.

More power to you. It might just be coincidence that I see more bad sectors on laptops than desktops. Me personally all I run in laptops are SSD's.

Honestly, what is the benefit of this drive? It seems like a solution in search of a problem.

The worst part is this using a single SATA wire. So you'll suffer performance since only one drive can be on the wire at any given time.

If you need a dual drive solution then a mSATA SSD + standard laptop HDD would achieve the same results without the performance loss or added complexity.

Just a note, not all laptops out there have an mSATA slot and not everyone is willing to give up their storage for some speed bump.

This solution is much better than Seagate's Hybrid SSHD implementation.

Just a note, not all laptops out there have an mSATA slot and not everyone is willing to give up their storage for some speed bump.

This solution is much better than Seagate's Hybrid SSHD implementation.

You must be really misinformed if you think it will only be a small speed increase, it's going to be a huge increase period, that's the main selling point of SSDs speed, and you shouldn't be needing huge storage if you are using a laptop, that's what PCs and external drives are for

The only real drawback with this solution is the price. I guess that's what paying for a premium is all about.

That may be true...but why sacrifice such huge storage for an SSD when you can have them both?

It's really up to the controller inside the drive and drivers. Since it's 2 drives using the same SATA connection i assume it requires special drivers and a special controller. If those are not great then it might be not as good as one SSD inside and one external HD connected via USB3 or eSATA.

Please watch the following video (after 15 secs adv):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQx7PlIXFuE

Yes you can use it as an external HDD using one of the followin ones:

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/2-5-enclosure-usb-3-0

(Move down few lines, use USB 3.0 for 2.5" HDD).

Quote from HP support website.Question is I want an enclosure to support 3.5 as well as 2.5" from Canada...Any ideas?

Quote from HP support website.Question is I want an enclosure to support 3.5 as well as 2.5" from Canada...Any ideas?

Get an enclosure for 3.5" SATA drives. The connectors will be the same. The only issue is that it probably isn't designed to house 2.5" ssd.

It's really up to the controller inside the drive and drivers. Since it's 2 drives using the same SATA connection i assume it requires special drivers and a special controller. If those are not great then it might be not as good as one SSD inside and one external HD connected via USB3 or eSATA.

Considering you'll probably only store stuff on the HDD, the likeliness is it should on the whole perform as well as a dedicated SSD, except for big file transfers. Maybe not a problem even at that depending on how the controller shares the data.

My brother has a converter from 2.5 to 3.5"

Do you mean a mounting bracket? Intel's come with those per default -- dunno if all SSDs do though. Also, keep in mind that they won't necessarily work well because enclosures don't necessarily have you screw a drive in like a case HDD bay would. 

Obviously the WD Black 2 is aimed at people who do photo / video editing in the field, not the normal consumer. If you have the OS on the SSD, and your data on the spinning disk, I don't see that you'd have a lot of times where you were trying to heavily access both drives.

It makes sense to me, especially if you have an ultra book and work in areas with very limited space.

Obviously the WD Black 2 is aimed at people who do photo / video editing in the field, not the normal consumer. If you have the OS on the SSD, and your data on the spinning disk, I don't see that you'd have a lot of times where you were trying to heavily access both drives.

It makes sense to me, especially if you have an ultra book and work in areas with very limited space.

The performance specs aren't even near SATA III speeds anyway, so it is probably not going to make a difference in performance even if you did do concurrent access on the ssd and hdd. Did you guys really think this would saturate the port or bus?

Do you mean a mounting bracket? Intel's come with those per default -- dunno if all SSDs do though. Also, keep in mind that they won't necessarily work well because enclosures don't necessarily have you screw a drive in like a case HDD bay would. 

Yep, that is it.

Still want one from Canada!! Any help with shopping for 3.5" enclosure!!!