Office desktop computer

This might not be a popular post however, i think it important to see what other businesses are putting out there.

The company I work for is not a Huge business however, right now we have 694 Computers that are out and about on our network.

This is the current spec for a "low end" machine that we are buying for our employees.

Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF

Core i5 (3.2Ghz)

4Gb DDR3 1600Mhz

DVD Burner (for data backups)

250Gb HDD

Windows 7 Pro x64

Comes with a Keyboard and Mouse, we add the 3 Year Warranty and Accidental Damage for a total of $609 for each machine.

Here is the thing...

My backwater country with its cheap workforce, low availability, support and localization options, bad prices, rather high software piracy and, finally, simply bad attitude, would beg to differ. I should know - I work for a company that builds such office computers from off-the-shelf parts for consumers and several small to medium sized companies, regular customers, alike. Although none of that is significant in context of this thread, that thing of yours is not universal truth.

One thing that companies also look out for is a model from a supplier/manufacturer that they can get another at the drop of a hat.  They develop a desktop hardware policy and go with a supplier that can help them maintain the policy.

Now, you seem intent on an SSD in your machine, I am seeing this as more of a personal labour of love rather than any form of work request.  The time you have spent on this, I would have given you a dressing down for wasting company time!

As I already stated - unless you are the smallest of smallest companies it makes no sense to build your own machine.. It just doesn't.. Your talking pennies is cost of the hardware. Even if you were a 10 pc shop I would think your going down the wrong path ordering parts to assemble a pc.

I used to work for a company building custom specification PC's when i was a teenager. Maybe i am faster at building a computer than the average person thanks to that... however its more than possible to un-box and assemble a computer in 30 mins.

I can only imagine from your replies here you have worked with some pretty large organizations, I agree with what your saying in regards to that scenario. However in the case of the company i work for I can guarantee saving ?100-200 per PC on what Dell quoted is certainly not pennies to the company sadly.

Hello,

One thing that companies also look out for is a model from a supplier/manufacturer that they can get another at the drop of a hat.  They develop a desktop hardware policy and go with a supplier that can help them maintain the policy.

Yup, thats another reason this PC is also Dell; all others (except maybe 1 or 2) are Dell.

Now, you seem intent on an SSD in your machine, I am seeing this as more of a personal labour of love rather than any form of work request.  The time you have spent on this, I would have given you a dressing down for wasting company time!

:huh: I think a SSD would improve loading times on programs. Its a 149 euro investment. I dont think we are gonna die or anything :rolleyes:

Thank you for opinions from all.

An SSD will improve loading times, of course you only start your editing apps once a day, if that. For work apps it has very little impact on actual usage though with some rare exceptions where you might not want an SSD anyway for other reasons.