• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Wii U hack incoming this December - Chaos Computer Club

FiB3R    1,663

lecture: Console Hacking 2013

WiiU

About a year ago Nintendo released their latest video gaming console, the Wii U. Since 2006, the Wii has led to one of the most active homebrew scenes after its security system was completely bypassed. This talk will discuss the improvements made in Wii U's architecture and explain how it was broken in less than 31 days. The talk is targeted at those who hack (or design) embedded system security, but gamers might also find it interesting.

The talk will consist of several parts. First, we will discuss the Wii U: what it is, what makes it tick, and how it compares to its predecessor, the Wii.

More...

Via @MuscleNerd, @Senaxx

• Like 1

vcfan    2,339

love ccc. I guess the hackers of this are the same guys who broke the wii,and did a ps3 hack as well.

• Like 1

Geoffrey B.    1,415

its sad to think that if they do manage to get this out there and it is easy for people to write for it that this might increase the sales of the Wii U.

it would be nice to see Google Chrome re-written to work on it lol.

Brandon H    3,781

while a WiiU hack is nice, I really want the 3DS to get hacked already so at least the ActionReplay can get a version out that works with 3DS games

i wanna cheat at Pokemon X/Y :p

• Like 1

FiB3R    1,663

love ccc. I guess the hackers of this are the same guys who broke the wii,and did a ps3 hack as well.

Same here. A lot of it will go over my head, but I enjoy it anyway.

Lots of interesting talks this year... https://events.ccc.de/congress/2013/Fahrplan/events.html

I see some familiar names speaking at the console hacking lecture: comex, marcan

• Like 1

torrentthief    313

Pirated games would results in people buying the consoles which would result in game companies making games due to more consoles sold. It could actually benefit Nintendo.

HawkMan    5,232

Pirated games would results in people buying the consoles which would result in game companies making games due to more consoles sold. It could actually benefit Nintendo.

yes, just like what happened with the Wii... err well... except... that didn't happen. non existent third party releases will be more non existent. 

• Like 1

+fusi0n    2,135

while a WiiU hack is nice, I really want the 3DS to get hacked already so at least the ActionReplay can get a version out that works with 3DS games

i wanna cheat at Pokemon X/Y :p

So you can get 151 Mew?

• Like 1

Brandon H    3,781

So you can get 151 Mew?

i mostly just increase the exp gain rate so I don't have to grind as much :p

...well and mess with no clip  :rofl:

this is all after i beat the game officially at least once of course

• Like 1

Geoffrey B.    1,415

So you can get 151 Mew?

Mew is already easily available without hacking in the new pokemon games.

Lord Method Man    1,612

This doesn't mean there's going to be pirated games available. Like it said it was actually hacked in 31 days.

+fusi0n    2,135

Mew is already easily available without hacking in the new pokemon games.

It was a joke.. 

compl3x    6,290

Yeah, piracy is a sure-fire way for a company to make a profit.

While it might be technically interesting to learn how securities are bypassed, it is overwhelmingly used for piracy. Not just for people who download games online, but also the scumbags who sell games at weekend markets and make profit off of other peoples' hard work.

+fusi0n    2,135

i mostly just increase the exp gain rate so I don't have to grind as much :p

...well and mess with no clip  :rofl:

this is all after i beat the game officially at least once of course

Same here.. Pokemon Blue it was.. Stayed up until 5am in the morning.. lol

• Like 1

benthebear    315

Wouldn't it result in companies not making a game for the console? I mean, if a console has a spike in sales due to it being hacked and able to play pirated games, don't you think game makers would avoid that system because, you know, their game will just get pirated... 

• Like 1

Liana    155

Wouldn't it result in companies not making a game for the console? I mean, if a console has a spike in sales due to it being hacked and able to play pirated games, don't you think game makers would avoid that system because, you know, their game will just get pirated... 

I believe that does happen to an extent; if a system gets hacked to the point where it's easy to pirate and play commercial games, would you want to keep making games for that system? 

nub    181

Not necessarily, Xboxes and Playstations are sold at a loss.

NightmarE D    203

The only reason I mod my consoles is to play games that I have bought straight from a hard/flash drive. I prefer not having to insert a disc and you get the benefit of your game discs and the console drives lasting longer from less wear. Especially with my original Fat PS2. They weren't known for having the greatest drives/lenses in them.

n_K    2,720

yes, just like what happened with the Wii... err well... except... that didn't happen. non existent third party releases will be more non existent. 

There's currently no piracy on the Wii U, yet from what I've read all the indie and large game production companies have already abandoned the system...

I fail to see how piracy has impacted it?

Lord Method Man    1,612

There's currently no piracy on the Wii U, yet from what I've read all the indie and large game production companies have already abandoned the system...

I fail to see how piracy has impacted it?

He said Wii, not Wii U.

The Wii was hacked to allow pirated software to run and it didn't do anything to spur third-party development.

"Piracy drives hardware sales" is just a bullet point in the Downloaders Handbook of Rationalizations.

FloatingFatMan    20,473

Not necessarily, Xboxes and Playstations are sold at a loss.

No they're not...

Blackhearted    512

The only reason I mod my consoles is to play games that I have bought straight from a hard/flash drive. I prefer not having to insert a disc and you get the benefit of your game discs and the console drives lasting longer from less wear. Especially with my original Fat PS2. They weren't known for having the greatest drives/lenses in them.

The big problem with that argument is: What keeps you from just going and downloading the iso's off the net when it's much cheaper and easier than buying and ripping the disc yourself?(especially when we're talking about nintendo games which are unreadable in most standard pc optical drives)

Veiva    200

They aren't releasing the hack... the title is very misleading.

Though I guess, depending on how much team overfl0w releases, someone could replicate it. However, considering their hardline antipiracy views, I kind of doubt that they'd release that much info about the exploit. I figure they'll talk more about the security systems of the Wii U. Meh.

I am interested in their talk about the Wii U GamePad, though. After all, that's really the only thing unique about the Wii U--imagine using it with the PC! Snazzy.