Gran Turismo 6 microtransaction pricing revealed -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-04-gran-turismo-6-microtransaction-pricing-revealed

We already knew Polyphony's racer would include microtransactions - a first for the series. Now we're nearing the game's Friday 6th December release more information on how these work has been revealed.

Let's start with the virtual currency, credits. Credits, which you use to buy cars and parts, can be bought in 500K, 1 million, 2.5 million and 7 million denominations.

The PlayStation Store updated today with the prices for these. They are as follows:

• 500,000 In-Game Credits (?3.99/?4.99)
  • 1 Million In-Game Credits (?7.99/?9.99)
  • 2,500,000 In-Game Credits (?15.99/?19.99)
  • 7 Million In-Game Credits (?39.99/?49.99)

The video, below, showcases GT6's cars and reveals one of the top priced, the Jaguar XJ13, which costs 20 million credits. You can grind for it in traditional Gran Turismo fashion or you can buy it straight away if you drop ?119.95 - that's the total you pay for two packs of 7m credits, two packs of 2.5m credits and one pack of 1m credits.

The issue is, will Gran Turismo's progression system be adversely affected by microtransactions? Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.

Sony maintains that GT6's microtransactions offer players an alternative fast-track route through the series' famously grindy progression. Eurogamer's review will be published on Friday.

I am planning to work for my Gran Turismo money like I have in all the other games. Getting 10,000 requires a lot of racing and 7,000,000 requires several months to a year of racing. As a long time GT player, I can definitely say buying credits will defeat the purpose of and ruin the experience of simulation mode! :no:

• Like 2

I dont see a problem with this.  If they didnt change the "grinding" structure from GT5 then this shouldnt be an issue.  Dont want to pay for cars... race more and earn them.  Simple as that.  Some people have $ to burn and some dont.  My favorite Free to Play game on IOS is Clash of Clans... tons of people buy gems to skip the grinding, others dont pay a dime and get the same stuff.  As long as things arent made to the point where you have to buy something to get it.. I can live with it.

I dont see a problem with this.  If they didnt change the "grinding" structure from GT5 then this shouldnt be an issue.  Dont want to pay for cars... race more and earn them.  Simple as that.  Some people have $ to burn and some dont.  My favorite Free to Play game on IOS is Clash of Clans... tons of people buy gems to skip the grinding, others dont pay a dime and get the same stuff.  As long as things arent made to the point where you have to buy something to get it.. I can live with it.

I see a problem though, for some longtime Gran Turismo players like me take time to work our way up in races to earn money and buy cars. Being able to buy credits for simulation mode isn't an issue in itself really but I see I unfair if you go online because some people will have bought credits and be racing faster cars while others have slower cars  because they're working their way up.

I am just going to work my way up like always. Since they are keeping the same career system, it isn't an issue, but for online races I think is.

On the plus side, atleast they're not charging you more for less like they tried with forza.

Always the optimist :laugh:

Well it'll be interesting to see how the gaming public at large reacts tot his. I know many of you oppose this stuff, but will it be rejected overall?

Turn 10 definitely got negative feedback and have sense made changes for the better for gamers. The same could happen for GT6.

On the plus side, atleast they're not charging you more for less like they tried with forza.

You do know it takes them 6 months to make one car right?

Regarding micro transactions, it doesn't really bother me unless the economy becomes freemium. Forza 5 has avoided this other than the removal of car gifts, and GT6 seems to be the same. Just a lazy mans game ranker. 

It sucks the free to play model is showing it's ugly side in $60 games.  If your game is F2P or a freemium game, then sure this is acceptable but you shouldn't have micro-transactions in a full price game that unlock anything but cosmetic items.  

I am confused to why Polyphony should follow Turn 10 :huh:. Polyphony started working on Gran Turismo as far back as the early 90s and Polyphony has made a tried and true formula for it. Plus, car physics is still being perfected in Gran Turismo.

Regarding micro transactions, it doesn't really bother me unless the economy becomes freemium. Forza 5 has avoided this other than the removal of car gifts, and GT6 seems to be the same. Just a lazy mans game ranker. 

I wasn't referring to them being incredibly slow at making cars(or whatever other excuse they've got for skipping on half the game), i was refering to that pre-launch info we seen that showed them charging you more money for less tokens.

I wasn't referring to them being incredibly slow at making cars(or whatever other excuse they've got for skipping on half the game), i was refering to that pre-launch info we seen that showed them charging you more money for less tokens.

It annoys me when people say this about games on launch. They had to re-model 200 cars with over 100K+ polys each and laser scan every single track, they spend a week off-site at every track. The cars had to by dyno'd, engine noise modeled and tested to make sure they fit the model of that exact car. All that for a launch game which they probably started not even that long ago. I think they did exceptionally given the time.

Micro transactions don't really grind my gears unless it's pretty much impossible to get anywhere without them (FIFA Ultimate Team).

On Forza 5, I race on Unbeatable with all the assists turned off. It works out at a 130%+ boost on my credits. I get masses of coins per tournaments and quickly went into the high-end ones. I can imagine it being the exact same on GT6.

I am confused to why Polyphony should follow Turn 10 :huh:. Polyphony started working on Gran Turismo as far back as the early 90s and Polyphony has made a tried and true formula for it. Plus, car physics is still being perfected in Gran Turismo.

Wait, why are you saying that they are 'following' Turn 10?

Geez, is the goal here to blame all of this on Turn 10? I think its much more likely that Polyphony decided to do this on their own, probably even before it was known for Forza 5. It just so happens that both developers thought they should give it a try.

Man, you really hate them :laugh:

No room for real answers.

Regardless, it seems like Turn 10 got the message from gamers early and made changes.

I loose interest in games midway which have micro transactions. Be it any game, we come to a point where devs make it extremely difficult to progress unless we buy some stuff. That's where I stop playing.

These days I game very less on iOS or Android devices only because of micro transactions. All the fun is zapped out.

As a result, I will not be buying Gran Turismo 6 for the first time.

So long as they haven't tweaked the main game so credits are harder to gain and works like older GT's. Then i don't mind micro-transactions.

If it is more like a F2P micro-transaction where you hit a pay wall or grind for months on end just to gain 1 car. Then i hope the game fails.

• Like 2

So long as they haven't tweaked the main game so credits are harder to gain and works like older GT's. Then i don't mind micro-transactions.

This is what it sounds like they're doing and I don't have a problem with that. I never found that it took too long to start building up a decent collection of cars, so there was always the option to sell old cars.  Plus when you get to towards the mid-tier and higher you get decent reward cars and prize money.

If some people want to skip that and pay money to do so, more power to them, but that's not what I'll be doing.  The other thing is that you'll never be able to tell online either as you don't know if it's some random guy that poured time in to save for this one car or if they bought it 5 minutes ago (on top of that you can just set race restrictions).  I don't see how this is a big deal at all, just don't buy credits.

If it is more like a F2P micro-transaction where you hit a pay wall or grind for months on end just to gain 1 car. Then i hope the game fails.

I highly doubt Gran Turismo 6 is going to be a bust. Gran Turismo 5 was not that great, and Polyphony probably learned from making Gran Turismo 5. I didn't like Gran Turismo 5 that much, the game had clunky, unnecessarily complex and slow menus, wait times to race were very long, race tracks looked like HD versions from GT4, a majority of the cars were upscaled GT4 cars, and the menu music was unaspiring. Additionally, the AI was is like zombies, they didn't anything.  The premium cars looked stunning though.

As a person coming out from Gran Turismo 4 (skipped GT5 because of some issues), I really miss the ability to buy used cars. GT4 is still my favorite game in the series because of the said feature.

So far I am really like Gran Turismo 6, especially the menu music and simplified menus! It looks much much better than GT5 already!

This is what people don't get about modern games and racers in particlar, the time it takes to make those movie quality game models(yes, they actually have to make one movie quality high res model for the normal maps, then they have to redo ALL the work from scratch to make the high res game model, possibly again for other LODs depending on the model type).

Cars for sim racers are even worse since they're scanned, then they have to be cleaned up, and all the mechanically moving parts that are important for suspension and such need to be modelled and properly linked. it's an insane amount of work. 

The alternative to pay for this would be to probably double game prices for these games, OR they can keep the game at the  prices they are, and offer an alternative income model allowing them to "tax" the rich and stupid ADD kids who mistakenly think the point of the game is to have the most expensive car. 

It sucks the free to play model is showing it's ugly side in $60 games.  If your game is F2P or a freemium game, then sure this is acceptable but you shouldn't have micro-transactions in a full price game that unlock anything but cosmetic items.  

You don't have to use them, you can play the game as normal. or would you rather they drop them and you pay 120-180 for the full game instead ?

Can't agree more, nobody is forcing anyone to buy in game tokens just to get these cars. If people do then more fool them than actually playing the game to EARN the cars the best way, by playing the game itself!

I personally think this is indicative of todays generation, why work hard for something you want if you can just pay your way to get their faster. 

You don't have to use them, you can play the game as normal. or would you rather they drop them and you pay 120-180 for the full game instead ?

The game sort of forces you to use them because the developers then increase the time to grind/unlock stuff to give an incentive to pay $$ to unlock the content.

• Like 1