Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years

Wouldn't I have been shafted for a 2.2 litre engine? I went for it because it was a tiny 3 door car with a 1.2 litre engine. It was group 4 for insurance.

I believe you'd have to pay more tax on the vehicle, but as emissions and running costs go, it's not that bad, depending on use, it can actually be cheaper to run over longer distances as the car's geared differently, and modern diesels are less polluting than their petrol variants with some cars. I'd suggest writing down the number plate of someone's car, and calling your insurance company to see what they can do for you if you tell them you are buying it. (it's what I do)

Yes

There is no postage because there will be no tax disc

Payment is via direct debit, taken automatically by the banking system.

you pay 10% excess on a 6 month disc just now and 5% on the new system they are looking at

if you dont want to pay the excess pay for 1 year

I believe you'd have to pay more tax on the vehicle, but as emissions and running costs go, it's not that bad, depending on use, it can actually be cheaper to run over longer distances as the car's geared differently, and modern diesels are less polluting than their petrol variants with some cars. I'd suggest writing down the number plate of someone's car, and calling your insurance company to see what they can do for you if you tell them you are buying it. (it's what I do)

yeah i do that too, look at cars on autotrader and then do insurance quotes online

in my 2.2 i get between 55-60mpg on long journeys and 40+mpg in the town

It'll be nice to pay monthly but why do they need to charge 5% extra for this, seems to be another way to squeeze money out of lower earners!

Lower earners or poorer savers?  I just use a standing order each month to transfer a proportion of any bills I pay annually (because it's cheaper) into a savings account and then pay it from there.

Either way it's good to have the option finally!

you pay 10% excess on a 6 month disc just now and 5% on the new system they are looking at

if you dont want to pay the excess pay for 1 year

yeah i do that too, look at cars on autotrader and then do insurance quotes online

in my 2.2 i get between 55-60mpg on long journeys and 40+mpg in the town

I live in the countryside with literally no mototways etc. Lincolnshire is rather isolated from civilisation. I get 45 mpg which I'm happy with, I never said I couldn't afford it, it just stung handing over ?4200 in the same day. I'd just gotten back from 4 months in the Falkland islands and had saved up ?5k while I was out there.

Haha look at all you peasants complaining over your ?100 a year car tax. I'll pay ?485 next month for a year

:laugh:

:(

:cry:

• Like 1

Haha look at all you peasants complaining over your ?100 a year car tax. I'll pay ?485 next month for a year

:laugh:

:(

:cry:

That's what happens when you drive a Range Rover to take your 1 child to school in ;)

That's what happens when you drive a Range Rover to take your 1 child to school in ;)

2006 Honda S2000 that gets "up to" 32 mpg :p

i wish we could pay our vehicle tax monthly rather than paying all at once, we have two vehicles so it comes out to nearly $150 a year just to renew are tags each year :(

Don't complain, here's my renewal:

Registration fee 443.45   Traffic improvement fee 48.85   CTP insurance premium 334.60       ========   Total fee ($) 826.90     ========    

why don't you guys just do what we do, charge a tax based on how much gas you use? why have an excise tax on the car itself? We pay a tax per gallon of gas sold, so if you aren't using you car, you aren't being taxed...

Yes, that has been suggested many times, but the government ignore the suggestion as they are all wasters.

So people that use the roads more, makes sense, however this was suggested under the previous government and they ignored it.

So all they do is add a little duty to fuel duty.

The road vehicle licence tax doesn't go to repairing roads and improving highways, nope only around 20% of it does, it's a scam.

Same with being forced to pay a TV licence, to fund the bloated broadcasting corporation.

Paying people ?18,000,000 a year as a retainer or a chief executive ?800,000 for 4 hours work per week.

Just fund via adverts.

Britain and their politicians do not listen.

I have no problem with road tax - as drivers we already know that a vast % of our money goes to the gov't. The thing I have a problem with is how they calculate it based on emissions.

I have a 2010 Alfa Romeo MiTo - it's a little 1.4l petrol hatchback, and since it's turbocharged, it produces about 160bhp. Not a huge or really powerful car - my road tax is ?180 a year.

My parents have a 2004 Ford Focus diesel. It's emissions are lower, although if you consider the emissions per kw output, it's FAR less efficient than my MiTo. Every time you put your foot down, a cloud of black smoke puffs out of the back - yet because, on paper, when it was new, it's "emissions" were less than mine, their road tax is about ?100.

Just calculate it based on a fairer metric. If you're doing it based on emissions - shove a pipe up the exhaust every year (happens on the MOT test anyway!!!) and charge a rate based on the actual emissions now. Or take into account that a car which produces twice as much CO2, but has 4 times as much power, is actually twice as efficient.

Always made me laugh, putting any stickers in the swept area of your windscreen is illegal. But that's where you have to put your tax disc. 

Don't complain, here's my renewal:

Registration fee 443.45   Traffic improvement fee 48.85   CTP insurance premium 334.60       ========   Total fee ($) 826.90     ========    

That honestly seems like highway robbery.

That honestly seems like highway robbery.

That's for a 6 Cylinder vehicle.  (FG XR6 for those playing at home).

Queensland has the highest vehicle rego in any Australian state.  Lovely....