Teenager furious after paying

The 19-year-old student, of Bilborough, had saved up in order to buy a limited edition Day One version of the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four-year-old son, McKenzie.

I'm so sure.

Unless the seller has emptied his paypal account and can't be contacted ;)

I bought something on eBay once and got scammed (nowhere near as bad as this though lol and it only cost $20), contacted eBay and they started their investigation. They sided with me and said I should get my money soon, then they replied back and said "the seller has emptied his paypal account and so we've contacted law enforcement to see if they can track him down, but at the moment there's nothing we can do. We'll keep you informed if anything changes." And that was the last I heard from them...and this was 10 years ago lol.

You can't do that now. You have to wait a couple weeks before you can withdraw the funds. If the buyer launches a dispute, it will be even longer.

He got away with this one, the photo was admittedly posted in the wrong eBay category but if the listing made it clear he would only get a photo he shouldn't have paid up.

The 19-year-old student, of Bilborough, had saved up in order to buy a limited edition Day One version of the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four-year-old son, McKenzie.

A four-year-old doesn't need an XBOX One

• Like 1

You can't do that now. You have to wait a couple weeks before you can withdraw the funds. If the buyer launches a dispute, it will be even longer.

Im actually a seller, and I can tell you 1 thing for certain. You are able to spend the money as soon as you get it, if you are a reputable seller. Withdraws maybe a different story, we usually dont withdraw from paypal, just use it to buy other things online. There is no wait time to 'spend' the cash. 

But, with paypal, you are required to have a bank account on file, along with a verified address, otherwise you cannot use paypal in full. Once them 2 are verified, they pretty much can track you down if need be. Which is good imo.

A four-year-old doesn't need an XBOX One

They have games for kids who have Xbox 360 like this:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Kinect-Sesame-Street-TV/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5309da

They plan to make more games for kids who have/or will get Xbox One.

That's the reason, I have two xbox 360s... one for myself and friends.... other is for beta and offline gaming for kids.

It's a shame that Ebay sides with these people. Why in the world would anybody bid that much money without reading (or understanding) what they are putting their money on? Granted this one was obviously some sort of stupidity trap, but the seller clearly described it correctly. This sort of thing happens all the time.

I had a Wii box laying around a few years ago, and instead of recycling it, I decided to list it on Ebay since a lot of people genuinely like to have the original box for things (myself included). I started it at around $10, which would be reasonable for something like that, and exclaimed multiple times in the description that it was just the box and the console wasn't included. Amazingly, a bunch of idiots still bid it up to over $100. Of course immediately after they had sent the payment, they email me whining about how I'm conning them, blah blah blah. They opened a case, Ebay sided with them, and it was a tremendous waste of my time.

The sellers are the ones that make the money for Ebay, so it's pretty sad that they get treated like crap.

I have no problem with them treating ###### sellers like crap. Its what guys like this deserve. If they treat legitimate sellers like crap then that's a different story.

Yeah the guy who bought it isn't too sharp, but the seller is a pile of trash for pulling the stunt in the first place.

And that is why he was refunded by ebay

He was refunded on ebay because it was a ridiculous auction.

Look at the points here:

The seller said it was just a picture.

The buy knew it was a picture.

Buyer decided to do it anyway.

Thats not a scam, thats just a stupid buyer and a jerk seller.

The 19-year-old student

to buy a limited edition Day One version of the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four-year-old son

Despite the listing stating it was a photo of an XBox One

Nothing to see here, move along.

This is why you should make expensive purchases of highly desirable items from Amazon or from a retailer!

Um what?

See here is my problem with posters on this thread and E-Bay itself. That listing made it CLEAR it was a photo of the console and this idiot child in a man's body ######ed up and bought it. There should be zero contest here and E-Bay should stick with the policy that it is sold exactly as the listing is.

I'd say more but its hard to type when E-Bay is bending sellers over so they don't have to deal with idiots. Yes punish the ones who keep our site going they said....

Um what?

See here is my problem with posters on this thread and E-Bay itself. That listing made it CLEAR it was a photo of the console and this idiot child in a man's body ****ed up and bought it. There should be zero contest here and E-Bay should stick with the policy that it is sold exactly as the listing is.

I'd say more but its hard to type when E-Bay is bending sellers over so they don't have to deal with idiots. Yes punish the ones who keep our site going they said....

I am dealing with an ongoing issue with an idiot eBay buyer right now who apparently caused a dent on my item by trying to force it open, and now they're claiming it was not as described. My photos clearly did not show any dent they are claiming.  Ebay now has a hold on my money that's now gone, which has resulted in a negative paypal balance. I hate ebay now, because they clearly favor the buyers significantly more.

There are much more important and appropriate things to be buying a four year old boy, such as food, clothing and shelter.

It's pretty obvious the guy wanted the Xbox One for himself. He's just using his son as an excuse to get sympathy.

Um what?

See here is my problem with posters on this thread and E-Bay itself. That listing made it CLEAR it was a photo of the console and this idiot child in a man's body ****ed up and bought it. There should be zero contest here and E-Bay should stick with the policy that it is sold exactly as the listing is.

That buyer set out with the hopes that someone would mistake the auction for a genuine Xbox one, he listed it in the console section, and charged roughly the console price. He set out to mislead from the start. 

That buyer set out with the hopes that someone would mistake the auction for a genuine Xbox one, he listed it in the console section, and charged roughly the console price. He set out to mislead from the start. 

I assume you meant seller and that is not relevant. The item sold is what the listing shows.

...unless you are telling me reading comprehension matters not anymore. Sorry but I have no sympathy for idiots.

I assume you meant seller and that is not relevant. The item sold is what the listing shows.

...unless you are telling me reading comprehension matters not anymore. Sorry but I have no sympathy for idiots.

Have to say I agree. Frankly if it stated it was a photo, then it should have been a non-issue. If a description of an item is in question then the buyer needs to contact the seller about said listing. It isn't hard, I've done it multiple times with eBay.

charged roughly the console price. He set out to mislead from the start. 

If it was an auction item, not a buy-it-now item, no, the seller didn't charge roughly the console price. He could have listed it at $0.99 and idiot buyers would still run the price up to $500.

The buyer admitted to knowing he was just buying a picture. The buyer wasn't misled one bit.

Being an idiot isn't a crime, misleading someone into a  purchase is fraud. How clearly labeled was it? Was it listed as 'photo of an Xbox'? Why wasn't it under the photography section? Why wasn't it a photo of the photo? Why would he reasonably expect someone to pay ?450 for a terribly printed picture?

I can't find the original eBay link so I don't know how obvious it was. Other than it used the generic image of an Xbox, and used the description listing for an Xbox, and was in the console sub section.

I've seen eBay listings for new I phones when they launch with buy it now prices of ?700, listed under the phone section, the listing had pages and pages of info just about the iPhone, and squeezed in the middle of 2 random paragraphs was '*box only' in size 1 font.

Either way he deserved a refund. I doubt the description said it would be "cheaply printed on terrible paper, on a printer clearly running out of ink, a people hue and lines running down it"

In fact I'd bet it didn't mention that because the article said it was the description for an Xbox, not a photo.

Maybe the ad was posted in a way that it was confusing?

According to the article, the buyer knew it was a picture but just decided to be dumb anyway.

Being an idiot isn't a crime, misleading someone into a  purchase is fraud. How clearly labeled was it? Was it listed as 'photo of an Xbox'? Why wasn't it under the photography section? Why wasn't it a photo of the photo? Why would he reasonably expect someone to pay ?450 for a terribly printed picture?

I can't find the original eBay link so I don't know how obvious it was. Other than it used the generic image of an Xbox, and used the description listing for an Xbox, and was in the console sub section.

I've seen eBay listings for new I phones when they launch with buy it now prices of ?700, listed under the phone section, the listing had pages and pages of info just about the iPhone, and squeezed in the middle of 2 random paragraphs was '*box only' in size 1 font.

What stopped the buyer from sending the seller a message asking to clarify if the photo part was accurate or not?

What stopped the buyer from sending the seller a message asking to clarify if the photo part was accurate or not?

Nothing, however this doesn't excuse the fact the listing was deliberately misleading. 

Nothing, however this doesn't excuse the fact the listing was deliberately misleading. 

It doesn't excuse the fact that the buyer clearly saw it say "photo" and proceeded regardless.