Cisco Ironport

My company used one internally about 3 years ago, we abandoned it after a year.

We primarily use Barracuda products, so i'll be a bit biased, but it was cumbersome to use. If you are good with command line, it's very powerful, but it was pretty difficult to use, at least for me. Also you only rent the hardware which was really expensive...

I would second the barracuda products. Support is good if not great. I have installed a few dozen and currently have them in my work place. Can't really complain too much about them.

the units we were demoed didn't take command line at all.. they had applications with full blown UI's now... I was kinda leary on Cisco knowing iOS and it's heavy command line usage... but this seemed like it didn't want command line usage

yeah I know, but our hardware vendor is a cisco shop... that's why I'm trying to find out more about them... we contract out to them to do some stuff we don't have time for and they want us to go 100% cisco for networking... right now we are using Forefront TMG and endpoint management which well sucks and is going bye bye going by MS's current stance on it... so anything is kind a step up...

I would second the barracuda products. Support is good if not great. I have installed a few dozen and currently have them in my work place. Can't really complain too much about them.

yes they do, I wasn't asking what would you rather use, I was asking what you thought of it.. I can still say no to them, but before that happens I need opinions on what others think. Once you get facts and opinions on said product, then if it's not what you expect then you look for alternatives... I have to do research on the suggested products first before taking suggestions...

Then out opinions/impressions don't really matter much.  

Any particular reason for looking at the hardware appliance instead of their cloud solution?

because we can not send sensitive data though to 3rd parties... we have legal requirements to fulfill, it's hard to explain all the reasons, so my answer is just going to be "because we can't"... and on top of that we always like having our own hardware that we have full control over..

Any particular reason for looking at the hardware appliance instead of their cloud solution?

because we can not send sensitive data though to 3rd parties... we have legal requirements to fulfill, it's hard to explain all the reasons, so my answer is just going to be "because we can't"... and on top of that we always like having our own hardware that we have full control over..

No problem.  I looked at using Cisco Ironport for my company last year, all be it on the cloud solution and had made the decision to move across but by the time the MD approved it we would have had no time to implement before our contract with Symantec had ended.  So ended up staying with Symantec as it was simpler, not that we've had any major problems with the Symantec solution.

Does anyone here use Cisco's Ironport security appliances? If so what are your impressions?

I will be biased since I work with that company. But the command line is pretty useful & so is the GUI. You can always count on CISCO TAC.

I will be biased since I work with that company. But the command line is pretty useful & so is the GUI. You can always count on CISCO TAC.

which company did you work for originally? Cisco or Ironport before cisco bought them?

which company did you work for originally? Cisco or Ironport before cisco bought them?

I work for the parent company.

Are the Cisco ASA's the replacement for IronPort?

No. CISCO ASA and Ironport work in completely different spheres of security domain.

Well we made decisions... Cisco router / Firewall ASA55XX series... Iron port for e-mail filtering, Barracuda for web monitoring / filtering

I'm just hoping it works out good

Well we made decisions... Cisco router / Firewall ASA55XX series... Iron port for e-mail filtering, Barracuda for web monitoring / filtering

I'm just hoping it works out good

I recommend Palo Alto network device.   Better and current tech, were Cisco just git into NGFW with a half-ass solution.   PAN devices are years ahead an much better.