Computer Speakers

The Z906 set only have one speaker cone per satellite, therefore limiting it's performance.

?But then my KEF's only have 1 per satellite too, and apparently they are pretty good.

106036.jpg

My vote for the Yamaha AV Receiver + speakers solution as well, it's a great choice.

I have my laptop via HDMI, Xbox 360, PS3, Ubuntu Laptop, Raspberry Pi, PSOne, PS2 and server all hooked up as required.

AV came from ebay, speakers (Technics 120w) all 2nd hand.

That's why I said somebody had good taste  :laugh:

Mine are KHT2005.2

Edit: thanks for removing your post, and making me look like I am talking to myself  :rofl:

1 speaker per enclosure or per box.  To get a full range of sound you need speakers that can push that full range.  Think of it like this, you have highs, lows, and mids.  In a single speaker enclosure you will have a mid range to produce all of the sound, you miss the highs and the lows that 2 or, even better, 3 way speakers can produce. 

I will give examples below

This is a 3 way speaker, it has a tweeter for highs, mids for your mid range, and a woofer for the low range...you can add a sub woofer for the extreme lows and earth shaking sound, this is not what a standard woofer is for.
post-118098-0-44544600-1387654425.jpg

This is a 2 way speaker, it haas a tweeter for highs and usually a woofer for lows.  It tries to fill in for the mids as best as it can, but does good with the highs and lows

post-118098-0-45919300-1387654424.jpg

This is a 1 way speaker, it has a mid range to try to handle all frequencies.  They do an ok job, but when comparing to the others it tends to miss quite a bit of sound.  You will never miss what you never had...imagine if you never had your favorite desert, you would never crave it or miss it or understand what it is or how good it is.  This is the type of speakers that bose falls in and why audiophiles dont like them.

post-118098-0-27423200-1387654423.jpg

When I talked about how many speakers are in a box, I was referring to 1, 2, or 3 way speakers...not how many physical enclosures come in the speaker system

This is one of the toughest decisions i've made in recent times ..

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/precision-acoustics-precision-acoustics-surround5-625-watts-5-0-channel-home-theatre-system-surround5/10175924.aspx?path=baa09d566477ed17cfe4d3845189e73een02&SearchPageIndex=1 

Look at this one - isn't it great for it's price ? 

I really wish I was more knowledgeable about speaker set ups.. Because I think receivers and the link I posted above would require different set ups...

I have been thinking about the Energy Sats - plus Polk Sub - these would result in 350W but they would cost about the same as the link I added above... In this situation which would be better ?

I wanted to do Energy sats and Polk sub because of the cost - and later I would add the receiver ...   but this precision system has a total of 625Watts..for the same price .. only 8 left available and i'm not sure the boxing day price would be much cheaper ... I could purchase it now and if it gets cheaper on boxing day purchase it again and cancel the first order... 

If the Precision is a better option - what else would I need ? what cables etc ? 

so what else would I need to buy to be able to use it on my PC ?  

Still gonna need an amp/receiver. The speakers are not powered, so your soundcard will not be able to drive them.

Search for some reviews regarding those speakers, and see if they really do give you more bang for your buck. Size and watts are not everything, kinda like CPU clock speeds.

Edit: *not just reviews from the site that really wants you to buy them

Like would worth the extra money to get the yamaha ? 

I'm trying to cut down cost.  

And finally what are the other cables I will need ? Someone added a cable earlier .. It's that all I would need ? If so that would be perfect

sucks to be in Canada lol.... these have great reviews... 

I realize a good receiver is going to cost a few dollars... and that's why I wanted to get a good starter set up then add a receiver later..

WHen I use the US website... no escape for me... ohwell.. 

Order Summary

Items: $349.00 Shipping & handling: $135.57 Total before tax: $484.57 Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00 Import Fees Deposit $72.49 Order total: $557.06