http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/12/i-wrote-this-post-on-my-xbox-one-or-using-a-game-console-as-a-work-machine/

?I wrote this post on my Xbox One??or, using a game console as a work machine Opposable Thumbs / Gaming & Entertainment ?I wrote this post on my Xbox One??or, using a game console as a work machine Browser-powered writing, e-mail, and chat are possible but come with headaches.

by Kyle Orland - Dec 7 2013, 1:35pm EST

In the run-up to the Xbox One's launch this year, one of the more amusing stories was a Microsoft blog post suggesting that users could mark the system as a tax write-off if they used things like Skype chatting and Microsoft Office online for business purposes. It seemed silly, but it got me wondering: Could the Xbox One and some Web-based apps fill in for the desktop or laptop I usually use for my day-to-day work?

After using it in just that way for the better part of a day, I was surprised to find that the Xbox One's version of Internet Explorer lets the system serve as a halfway decent work machine?though not without a good deal of headaches and missing features. It wouldn't take many tweaks for Microsoft to really unlock the Xbox One's potential for productivity, letting the company market the box in earnest as a living room computer in addition to a high-end game machine.

Getting to work

1403159_10153547615055640_674695696_o.jp

My extremely janky living room work setup. Note the Xbox One controller sitting on my legs as a de facto mouse.

As a writer, being able to type on the Xbox One was the first and most absolute basic requirement for using it as a work machine. Using the on-screen keyboard was out of the question, and using a Smartglass-powered tablet touchscreen for text entry seemed like cheating. Luckily, the Xbox One seems to have no issues accepting input from a USB keyboard as long as that keyboard is plugged in before you turn the system on from a hard reset.

I'm using a wired keyboard, but I've heard reports that wireless keyboards with a USB receiver work just as well for those that want to type while they recline on the couch. It doesn't look like you can use the keyboard to navigate system menus or control any games, but it works great for typing in URLs and text for Web-based forms (like those in the Ars Technica Content Management System that I'm typing in right now for instance).

1. This author is insane :laugh:

2. Proves one more time that artificial benchmark scores (PS4 > XBO) don't translate well into real world performance (XBO > PS4).

• Like 2

It is quite an insane idea.

However, it does illustrate just how far consoles have come.  We are at the point where they can be used for many pc-like functions, which would include some productivity tasks.

Part of that is thanks to the fact that you can do so much just from an internet browser.  Since IE on the X1 is as robust support wise as its desktop version, it allows for some interesting functions that you might not think of.

Honestly, it would not take much for MS to switch on full keyboard and mouse support. Maybe they could be convinced to do that down the road, but I doubt its even on the roadmap at the moment.

/insert South Park meme

If you're going to use X1 like a PC, you're going to have a bad time :P

Would never use a console browser for anything important like Word docs. Far too unstable.

Nice, but just because something has a web browser, doesn't mean it should be used as a productivity device (ex: Kindle Paperwhite). I would rather play games on the Xbox One and leave it to an actual computer to be productive. Don't like the concept of converging all functions to one device.

• Like 1

Nice, but just because something has a web browser, doesn't mean it should be used as a productivity device (ex: Kindle Paperwhite).

Why not, if anything it's a convenience. Flat out replace a PC, of course not, but it's certainly nice to have the option. I wouldn't use my phone as my only web browser, media player, book reader etc either... but I still frequently do just that, and it doesn't get in the way of the phone doing it's primary duty.

Basically, Chromebook One.

How is this anything like a Chromebook?

Nice, but just because something has a web browser, doesn't mean it should be used as a productivity device (ex: Kindle Paperwhite). I would rather play games on the Xbox One and leave it to an actual computer to be productive. Don't like the concept of converging all functions to one device.

Not to be picky, but isn't that what pc gaming is all about?

PC gaming is the epitome of converging all functions to one device.

You buy one pc and it does all your work and your play. It also happens to do both pretty darn well.

Would never use a console browser for anything important like Word docs. Far too unstable.

I wouldn't use it in that way either, but the browser is actually stable enough for it now.

I would know, I've been using it regularly in order to access my local streaming media via the MediaBrowser server web page. It handles media playback well and I have yet to see a crash or slow down while using it.

The only difference between the ps4 and the x1 vs a pc is the ability to replace parts on your own and the OS.

I'm pretty sure my Dreamcast had a web browser, but sure, this is some cutting edge **** here guys.  :laugh:

I'm not sure anyone would call this cutting edge....oh except the guys making the jokes :laugh:

I guess you could say that web browsers on consoles are a lot better then back in the Dreamcast days though.

2. Proves one more time that artificial benchmark scores (PS4 > XBO) don't translate well into real world performance (XBO > PS4).

lol K.  Considering I can do it all on my PS4 just as easily.. if not faster.. not sure how you came up with this.  Also, every thing I have seen/read says the PS4 is actually better at gaming than the xbone from a graphics point of view.

lol K.  Considering I can do it all on my PS4 just as easily.. if not faster.. not sure how you came up with this.

Faster? I'm not sure how you got to that conclusion, but ok.

I believe that you guys might be taking his comment the wrong way. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that he was referring to the browser benchmarks specifically. The ones done with artificial benchmark tests. Those test pointed to the ps4 browser being faster. However the reality turned out to not support those numbers.

I can attest to that from using both browsers myself. IE also has more robust support for some features that matter to me in regards to media access (I have little use for a web browser on either console for general browsing). The ps4 browser cannot currently access my local media server software, while IE on the X1 can.

Lets try not to turn this into a war thread please. Can't we just laugh at a silly experiment?

lol K.  Considering I can do it all on my PS4 just as easily.. if not faster.. not sure how you came up with this.  Also, every thing I have seen/read says the PS4 is actually better at gaming than the xbone from a graphics point of view.

Something tells me you didn't read the article or at least this part?

To solve this problem, I had to bend the rules a little and move over to the PlayStation 4 (hey, I'm still working on a game console, right?) That system also has a Web browser that allows for a lot of the same productivity features being discussed here. Working on the PS4 this way is much less enjoyable though, thanks to extremely choppy webpage scrolling, extremely slow pointer movement, slightly less webpage compatibility, and occasional memory issues when too many tabs are open on the PS4 browser.

but I believe that he was referring to the browser benchmarks specifically. The ones done with artificial benchmark tests. Those test pointed to the ps4 browser being faster. However the reality turned out to not support those numbers.

Exactly this.

Lets try not to turn this into a war thread please. Can't we just laugh at a silly experiment?

post-59115-0-09982900-1386550896.gif

Not to be picky, but isn't that what pc gaming is all about?

PC gaming is the epitome of converging all functions to one device.

You buy one pc and it does all your work and your play. It also happens to do both pretty darn well.

PC's are flexible in that they allow you to run apps, gaming, etc. Xbox/PS4/Wii/<insert game console> are primarily designed to play games. PC's are primarily designed to run apps (games included). PC's are not convergence devices because it's not like they just started to play games recently. Xbox just had the recent addition of browsing the internet (with the 360). 

PC's are flexible in that they allow you to run apps, gaming, etc. Xbox/PS4/Wii/<insert game console> are primarily designed to play games. PC's are primarily designed to run apps (games included). PC's are not convergence devices because it's not like they just started to play games recently. Xbox just had the recent addition of browsing the internet (with the 360).

Wait, what does time have to do with the pc being a convergence device? Just because they have played games for a long time doesn't change the fact that they were probably the first single device that could do so much.

In fact, the pc platform is the most flexible device out there.

You can build an htpc that can handle the duties of media playback and gaming very well. Consoles are slowly but surely heading in that same direction.

think about it, if the whole convergence happens(starting with threshold) and xbox is able to run win8 apps with little or no modification, down the line, the lines could become blurred of what is a pc,what is an xbox.

think about it, if the whole convergence happens(starting with threshold) and xbox is able to run win8 apps with little or no modification, down the line, the lines could become blurred of what is a pc,what is an xbox.

Honestly, it could play out like the Steambox someday:

Imagine a future Xbox console that is even more like a pc component wise and MS allows oems to build boxes to the specs they want but make use of the Xbox OS/Windows solution. Its even more integrated than the Steambox because you would in effect be able to switch on the fly from a gaming focused OS and then into windows.