THANKS NVIDIA! /s Crappy drivers freezing my PC

This link explains it better than I can http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/nvidia-freezes.html and is spot on!

Long story short, I have a GeForce 560 GTX and ever since around version 320.xx my PC keeps freezing (mouse stops moving) and much of the time audio freezes too which results in a not so nice sound emitting from my speakers.

I have reverted back to 311.06 - which is recommended by the above link - and without all the 3D Vision and HD Audio drivers crap that comes with it.

The last thing is also that I've had to disable Windows Update from automatically downloading and installing updates since Nvidia drivers are delivered through that too. :/

Anyone else having this and want to share some experiences, other solutions?

Haven't had driver crashes on 8.1 on my spare workstation but that's running a really old card (8600 GT). Haven't used an nVidia card on my main gaming rig for a few years now however. Was there any information in event viewer that could tell you what was causing the crashes?

I have a GTX 460 and I was stuck on 314.22 due to the random freezing issues with every release up until the beta 331.93 version came out.

The release notes in the beta 331.93 specifically state they have a Fermi freeze fix in them.  I've been stable since I went to 331.93.  Everything released in between 314.22 and that version causes my machine to freeze.

• Like 2

I have a GTX 460 and I was stuck on 314.22 due to the random freezing issues with every release up until the beta 331.93 version came out.

The release notes in the beta 331.93 specifically state they have a Fermi freeze fix in them.  I've been stable since I went to 331.93.  Everything released in between 314.22 and that version causes my machine to freeze.

Aha! those aren't on WinUpdate yet are they. I will keep an eye on the link in the first post because it looks like that person is also looking out for a fix.

I was having a similar issue with Nvidia drivers and hardware accelleration in Firefox. I updated/re-installed flash, java and disabled hardware accelleration in Firefox and the problem seems to have went away.

I haven't had any problems yet since getting my 780 about a month ago. Which is my first Nvidia card in almost 10 yrs.

Yeah it affects the older cards, if you can call the 560 old :P

Aha! those aren't on WinUpdate yet are they. I will keep an eye on the link in the first post because it looks like that person is also looking out for a fix.

They will never get onto windows update because they are a beta release.  The only ones that get onto WinUpdate are WHQL certified and even then they will show up weeks/months after nvidia releases them on their website.  I suggest if someone has a Fermi freezing issue to go get the beta drivers straight from nvidia as soon as possible.

I had kind of the same issue. Here is a link to my message post: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1184861-weird-video-pixellation-issue/

I tried the custom driver in the Answered section and it helped some. One additional thing I did was adjust the power management settings. Here is a link to do that: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130

I have not had a lock up, graphics freeze, AND TF2 no longer crashes which I've had problems with for the past 6 years.

This link explains it better than I can http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/nvidia-freezes.html and is spot on!

Long story short, I have a GeForce 560 GTX and ever since around version 320.xx my PC keeps freezing (mouse stops moving) and much of the time audio freezes too which results in a not so nice sound emitting from my speakers.

I have reverted back to 311.06 - which is recommended by the above link - and without all the 3D Vision and HD Audio drivers crap that comes with it.

The last thing is also that I've had to disable Windows Update from automatically downloading and installing updates since Nvidia drivers are delivered through that too. :/

It was a known 8 month problem happening on most 400/500 series since r314.22. The latest 331.93 beta driver fixes it as stated above.

There's an ongoing thread about that problem and most users report that most problem have been addressed.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/621899/geforce-drivers/desktop-internet-browser-freeze-thread-w-geforce-460-560-gpus-updated-for-nb-12-5-13-page79-/

microsoft never gives newer drivers out on windows update for gpu. there drivers release is slower then intel gpu drivers release.

matter of fact have the newest drivers and it still tried to push the older driver on me.

Cheers for the helpful replies guys (Y)

Edit: Windows 8.1 Javik, had it on Windows 8 as well though.

Ah ok, wasn't what I thought then

That really sucks, man. I have a 560 GTX Ti and I haven't had a single issue with freezing.

RJ8irh1.jpg

OK, I'm using 331.93 on my 560ti since it was released and I had my first freeze today while using Google Chrome (and a second trying to type this post...), as everyone I'm fine with anything prior to 314.22 and all that - https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/621899/geforce-drivers/desktop-internet-browser-freeze-thread-w-geforce-460-560-gpus-updated-for-nb-12-5-13-page79-/post/4049949/#4049949

I also have a 560 so I won't be trying those yet.

post-2-0-84597500-1386607145.png

Yeah it affects the older cards, if you can call the 560 old :p

But it doesn't affect my GTX550Ti (same generation as the 560Ti)?

Where I HAVE had problems with my GTX550Ti (which directly replaced an AMD card) has been with Flash and applications and software that relies on specialized implementations of Flash (Google Chrome and certain game launchers - notably, SDC Universe Online - have been the greatest offenders).