THANKS NVIDIA! /s Crappy drivers freezing my PC

This link explains it better than I can http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/nvidia-freezes.html and is spot on!

Long story short, I have a GeForce 560 GTX and ever since around version 320.xx my PC keeps freezing (mouse stops moving) and much of the time audio freezes too which results in a not so nice sound emitting from my speakers.

I have reverted back to 311.06 - which is recommended by the above link - and without all the 3D Vision and HD Audio drivers crap that comes with it.

The last thing is also that I've had to disable Windows Update from automatically downloading and installing updates since Nvidia drivers are delivered through that too. :/

Anyone else having this and want to share some experiences, other solutions?

I have the same issue on a new GeForce GTX 760 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127745).  At first, I thought it was just the game (Splinter Cell: Blacklist), because the audio sound that you get sounded like it might be part of the game.  But then I started hearing it in other games (World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, Diablo III, StarCraft, etc..)

But, I didn't know it was widespread, I've tried to do some searches to find others with the same problem.  Just haven't found the correct search phrase yet though.

Haven't noticed issues either on my desktop or laptop. Desktop is GTX 670, laptop is GT 335M (though since it's Optimus, most of the time the crappy Intel GPU is active). Both are on 331.65.

... which does coincide with the link in the OP; neither are in the 400 or 500 series.

This link explains it better than I can http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/nvidia-freezes.html and is spot on!

Long story short, I have a GeForce 560 GTX and ever since around version 320.xx my PC keeps freezing (mouse stops moving) and much of the time audio freezes too which results in a not so nice sound emitting from my speakers.

I have reverted back to 311.06 - which is recommended by the above link - and without all the 3D Vision and HD Audio drivers crap that comes with it.

The last thing is also that I've had to disable Windows Update from automatically downloading and installing updates since Nvidia drivers are delivered through that too. :/

Have you tried 327.23 but with all the bloat taken out? (NVidia audio and the updater<or whatever it is that writes an updateususer file on C drive>?

though you might have to look for your mobo's website to find an audio driver, mines an asus so I had to find soundmax drivers for vista (windows 7)

if you do, it allows you to uninstall everything but I believe it retains the component display drivers (I only left the NVidia control panel installed as it didn't affect my pc with just that left)

Yes I have tried many different drivers with varying results.. After I reinstalled on the SSD and installed the WHQL through WU (which also delivers all the bloat crap and Nvidia CPanel btw) it was OK (driver stopped responding maybe once a day) until yet another update appeared through WU in the 331 series and then I started getting lockups, driver recoveries and audio freezes and even reboots due to lockups. That's why I have reverted to 311.06 and since doing so I haven't experienced a single issue.

I am going to wait on more feedback on 331.93 because although it seems to have helped a lot of people, some are still getting freezes on the 560 (which is the card I have) in the Nvidia support topic.

Everthing working great with 331.58 and 331.93 but I have only one problem, sometimes I'm getting "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" in PES 2014, and only in replay or when i want to take free kick. - Source

He has a stock 460 pfff :/

And another post:

OK, I'm using 331.93 on my 560ti since it was released and I had my first freeze today while using Google Chrome (and a second trying to type this post...)

I have the 560ti and the 331.93 driver has not crashed yet. If people's machines are still crashing with the same card and hardware as I have then their system may be corrupt from all the previous crashes.

I used to be a great fan of NVIDIA cards, but for the last couple of months there drivers have been terrible... So in the end I got sick of issue after issue, and bought a AMD graphics card. It runs every game I throw at it; and it has never crashed my PC, unlike the NVIDA card used to.

Yes I have tried many different drivers with varying results.. After I reinstalled on the SSD and installed the WHQL through WU (which also delivers all the bloat crap and Nvidia CPanel btw) it was OK (driver stopped responding maybe once a day) until yet another update appeared through WU in the 331 series and then I started getting lockups, driver recoveries and audio freezes and even reboots due to lockups. That's why I have reverted to 311.06 and since doing so I haven't experienced a single issue.

I am going to wait on more feedback on 331.93 because although it seems to have helped a lot of people, some are still getting freezes on the 560 (which is the card I have) in the Nvidia support topic.

I have been using this driver for like 3 weeks, no crash/freeze so far.  And I have the same card.

I have the 560ti and the 331.93 driver has not crashed yet. If people's machines are still crashing with the same card and hardware as I have then their system may be corrupt from all the previous crashes.

We're cool and all yo, but when people start claiming that the PC system might be crappy/installation because a beta driver isn't doing what it should do, I'll pass :P

btw still no issues with 311.06 :D

i have experienced this. freezing, sound brrrrrrrrrrrr, fatal hw error bsods, crashing while browsing. 560 ti, had to switch to a different card. it was the drivers, had to use some ancient drivers to get it working, by that time i had given up.

i have experienced this. freezing, sound brrrrrrrrrrrr, fatal hw error bsods, crashing while browsing. 560 ti, had to switch to a different card. it was the drivers, had to use some ancient drivers to get it working, by that time i had given up.

eh the right drivers will set you right, the card is probably ok mate.

What happens sometimes when someone's PC crashes and freezes? You have to shut down your PC the wrong way. What happens sometimes when you shut down your PC the wrong way? It can get corrupt. Read everything before commenting because I didn't say anything was crappy. I said things may be corrupt because of system crashes and freezes due to the previous faulty drivers that NVidia screwed up on.

We're cool and all yo, but when people start claiming that the PC system might be crappy/installation because a beta driver isn't doing what it should do, I'll pass :p

btw still no issues with 311.06 :D

eh the right drivers will set you right, the card is probably ok mate.

i read on some forum that it was some sort of 2d bug, as gaming was fine, no bsods, only happened on the desktop.

Install Nvidia Geforce Experience and have that download the latest beta drivers on release instead of using windows update :o

I'm in some what the same boat as some of you although I'm not experiencing full fledged crashes, so I hope this isn't considered stealing the topic.

I hadn't ever heard of that Geforce Experience, so I thought I'd give it a try. As is usual for me when messing with ANYTHING Nvidia related, it doesn't work after several tries. Have NEVER liked Nvidia, period! Easy to understand why your title to this topic includes the words Nvidia and crappy! :x

When installing, Virtual audio install fails first. I get error saying no .Net Framework 4 installed, which it is, and I even enabled it, which it usually isn't, as I DESPISE that crap also. Then I get Nvidia Geforce Experience isn't installed, which deserves a DUH, no s**t, what does it think I'm trying to install?! :angry:

Anyone have any ideas? Yes, I DO have an Nvidia card installed!

post-17953-0-40271800-1387455237.jpg

Just had a brain fart!

I going to believe that program didn't install because the computer I was on has an AMD cpu?

Edit:

Just looked at system requirements:

CPU:

• Intel Pentium G Series, Core 2 Duo, Quad Core i3, i5, i7, or higher
  • AMD Phenom II, Athlon II, Phenom X4, FX or higher

I believe that computer has just a plain Athlon.

Edit 2:

It's an Athlon XP even! Sheesh, didn't realize I was working on that old of a box!!

^ :o  :omg:  

Yeah,

That's what I thought after seeing what I was working on! At least it had Windows 7 on it.

I have amd driver software if needed but I have no idea how to send because of file size if needed unless I can get it onto dropbox or something

It sounds like that reply was meant for me and I appreciate the offer, but that computer has already been fixed and sent down the road!

Thank you

• Like 1

I've had 2 NVIDIA cards in the past, both were a nuisance because of 3rd rate drivers. Been using ATI since and while they are also not perfect, they are way better than NVIDIA for me!