THANKS NVIDIA! /s Crappy drivers freezing my PC

I have dual 9000 series in SLI mode. I often sleep the machine overnight. Since installing above 301.xx I will come down may be once a week in the morning to find the machine completely off. Not in a boot loop, just plain off. Powering it back on suggested a bad shutdown due to the start-up repair timeout appearing.

Disabling hybrid sleep mode reduced it to once in 2 weeks

But ultimately either disabling SLI or regressing the drivers seems to be the answer and I haven't seen the problem for over a month now.

Guys.. there are also reports of newer drivers on older cards causing the GPU to run at 100% which is what causes the freezes and shutdowns/reboots. Not only are they not good for your card at all, but maxing it out in 2d isn't all that fun either.

Until there is conclusive proof that the issues have been sorted and a WHQL (or non beta) driver has been released, I'm sticking with what works (in my case 311.06).

Last point, Nvidia has claimed a number of times that the issues were fixed in drivers prior to the latest one (beta 331.93)? so yeah, I don't feel like being on a constant beta test either.

I've had 2 NVIDIA cards in the past, both were a nuisance because of 3rd rate drivers. Been using ATI since and while they are also not perfect, they are way better than NVIDIA for me!

Yeah,

Luckily for me, I'm not a gamer, so graphics aren't totally important for me, as long they work! Usually just use the windows update site for drivers and haven't ever had an issue. Seems the only time I've ever had an issue is when I try to use the Nvidia site for newest ones! Otherwise, never been a huge fan of Nvidia either.

Removing the link to follow this topic now, as no need to follow it anymore.

Good luck to you folks having issues here! :)

• 3 weeks later...

v332.21 has been released.

Will try them later after a full system backup just to make sure.

v332.21 has been released.

Will try them later after a full system backup just to make sure.

Too early to say yet, but I installed 331.93 yesterday (full install, with all the extra crap) and then updated to the WHQL 332.21 drivers, no freezes yet. 

GeForce 560 GTX. (coming from 311.06).

Edit: Forgot to mention I selected "clean install" when upgrading to 331.93, but not for 322.21. 

Aha! those aren't on WinUpdate yet are they. I will keep an eye on the link in the first post because it looks like that person is also looking out for a fix.

you use windows update for ya drivers wtf.... get em from nvidias website

you use windows update for ya drivers wtf.... get em from nvidias website

No I don't, but if you have Windows Update set to deliver recommended and non/other Microsoft related updates (for Office etc) then you also get NVidia drivers as well...

Not everyone is comfortable installing beta drivers, at least the MS delivered ones are WHQL (and usually the latest too). 

Just get the nVidia GeForce experience on the go, as previously stated. And if you want to opt into beta drivers, tick the box.

Man, I quit following this topic and have been trying to find it again for a bit now. Sure wish the search function on this site actually worked as it NEVER finds anything even remotely close to what I searched for!

Anyway,

All I was trying to find is the name of that Nvidia tool, which I had forgotten, http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

Got here just in time to find it on the front page again! :)

Man, I quit following this topic and have been trying to find it again for a bit now. Sure wish the search function on this site actually worked as it NEVER finds anything even remotely close to what I searched for!

Did you search for nvidia from the Hardware Hangout forum? That will be better than doing a search from the forum index which includes all forums.

Did you search for nvidia from the Hardware Hangout forum? That will be better than doing a search from the forum index which includes all forums.

Theres a reason nvidia release so many driver revisions cus some screw up some hardware and some fixes things with certain hardware so have to find the best for you and relying on whql isnt good enough. If i relied on whql drivers for AMD GPU i wouldnt of played BF4 for 2 months cus the beta ones fixed the crashing after beta 8

• 2 weeks later...

I have a system built by Cyberpower with 2 GTX 460's in SLI. I never experienced a problem except with COD:Ghost. But that's not a driver issue as BF4 runs flawlessly. I have used Nvidia since the middle 1990's and rarely had any issues with drivers. I tried a Ati card back in the day and their drivers are what made me switch back to Nvidia. Hope you sort it out soon.

Wow. I had a GT 520. Never had much driver issues with it. Wanted to get a new AMD but ended up with a GTX 760...

And i can't even use it.

I can play games as high with graphics as left for dead 2. Even though the card runs BF3 at 60fps with everything ultra. But within 30minutes.... everything freezes.

Same for Skyrim, Simcity... anything.

Frowny of death :(

Tried all driver versions that support my card, from 324 to 332.21. Same issue on everything. Even worse Windows blames my motioninjoy driver :(. But if I unload it from the system, instead of a frowny of death it just completely freezes. Windows tries to restart the driver a few times, sometimes it works. Mostly everything just hangs.

F*(#$&(*#$#(* NVIDIA, last F*(#$*(#$ING TIME I GET ONE.

Wow. I had a GT 520. Never had much driver issues with it. Wanted to get a new AMD but ended up with a GTX 760...

And i can't even use it.

I can play games as high with graphics as left for dead 2. Even though the card runs BF3 at 60fps with everything ultra. But within 30minutes.... everything freezes.

Same for Skyrim, Simcity... anything.

Frowny of death  :(

Tried all driver versions that support my card, from 324 to 332.21. Same issue on everything. Even worse Windows blames my motioninjoy driver  :(. But if I unload it from the system, instead of a frowny of death it just completely freezes. Windows tries to restart the driver a few times, sometimes it works. Mostly everything just hangs.

F*(#$&(*#$#(* NVIDIA, last F*(#$*(#$ING TIME I GET ONE.

That seems to be a different issue rather than this one about 400 and 500 series of cards with the newer drivers. You should do a search on Google for GTX 760 freezing to see if anyone else is having the same problem.

Good luck!

Oh yer sorry, was meant to get back with my findings. Totally forgot.

Anyway, not had any issues with 332.21. It's all good.

I have 2x 670's in SLI and before that 2 580's and before that 8800's. I've always run the latest beta driver and it has never cause a system problem. Maybe you have something else going on.

The new divers don't crash on me. The ones just released this month. :-) Give it a try. :-)

The new divers don't crash on me. The ones just released this month. :-) Give it a try. :-)

The only issues I have EVER had with the Forceware drivers (and I went from AMD directly to nVidia) have to do with Flash (mostly browsers or software that use Flash Embedded, such as Google Chrome and some game launchers) - otherwise, every version of Forceware since the original Windows 8.1 WHQL has been flawless.  (GPU hardware - factory-refurb nVidia GTX550Ti.)

The only issues I have EVER had with the Forceware drivers (and I went from AMD directly to nVidia) have to do with Flash (mostly browsers or software that use Flash Embedded, such as Google Chrome and some game launchers) - otherwise, every version of Forceware since the original Windows 8.1 WHQL has been flawless.  (GPU hardware - factory-refurb nVidia GTX550Ti.)

NVidia had issues with the 560ti series cards

Really? Mine is still working just fine, and it's factory overclocked. Heck I know 3 of my friends with a 560 Ti, and I haven't heard one of them complain about it. 

A lot of people seem to be blaming drivers in this thread for what are clearly hardware problems.

Or a PEBKAC.

Sweeping statement is sweeping.