Question for Xbox One owners: does Skype on Xbox One also allow for text messages?

Hi guys,

My Xbox One arrives soon and I'm really looking forward to playing around with Skype. I'm just curious, as the Xbox One supports keyboards apart from the on-screen one, does the Skype app allow for IM messaging, or is it voice/video only?

Thanks!

It allows you to send video and normal text messages, and video quality is very good if you have normal internet ! I really enjoing my xbox one and often call my family through it as i'm living away!

It allows you to send video and normal text messages, and video quality is very good if you have normal internet ! I really enjoing my xbox one and often call my family through it as i'm living away!

The fact it can send normal text messages is a big deal for me, thank you. Great to hear you're enjoying it!

I am a heavy Skype user (+10 years) and I am tempted to get Xbox One for Skype alone. :)

I used to use skype back when it had free Canada to US calling I would make prank phonecalls with it.  Other than that I don't use it.. heck I even have a crack installed so I can still use WLM instead of upgrading.  What do you use skype for?

I used to use skype back when it had free Canada to US calling I would make prank phonecalls with it.  Other than that I don't use it.. heck I even have a crack installed so I can still use WLM instead of upgrading.  What do you use skype for?

video calls mainly. I was/am a Messenger user from its inception and hate Skype client for anything besides video calls but video calls is something Skype always did right. This reminds me that WLM always for video calls and that was the reason I started using Skype.

video calls mainly. I was/am a Messenger user from its inception and hate Skype client for anything besides video calls but video calls is something Skype always did right. This reminds me that WLM always for video calls and that was the reason I started using Skype.

Ah okay, makes sense.  If you using video calling a lot it makes sense, as skype is good for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I now have my Xbox One, but when I connect a regular USB keyboard it is not detected and I can't use it to type in messages. Any ideas?

• 4 months later...

Okay, so I now have my Xbox One, but when I connect a regular USB keyboard it is not detected and I can't use it to type in messages. Any ideas?

It definitely works with USB keyboards, this is a fact - make sure the app is fully updated as noted above! Also try to power cycle for the console. Not a good idea to do every day, but once a week or so is great.