Apple and Microsoft may merge in 5-10 years

They are already partners in Rockstar Consortium. And, at one point in history, Microsoft owned some Apple stock.

Partners in a Consortium just means a coop between companies, how many other companies are in this consortium... and anyone can buy Apple stock, so that doesn't mean anything, I'm sure Apple owns Microsoft stock,

This story should have been posted on April Fools day as a fact, that would have been good.

Partners in a Consortium just means a coop between companies

I would have never thought of that by myself. Thanks for putting it in plain English for me.

and anyone can buy Apple stock, so that doesn't mean anything

That investment made some good returns for Microsoft.

how many other companies are in this consortium.

There are at least five there.

I'm sure Apple owns Microsoft stock

I highly doubt that.

I highly doubt that.

Actually they do own Microsoft stock, they also get wide ranging access to Microsoft Technologies.  The reverse is true as well.  

This is all part of the money infusion that happened in the early 2000s. 

I believe that the IT industry as a whole is moving towards some kind of a unification. No one needs to have two competing standards or modes of operation. It's neither efficient, nor effective. So, it's quite possible that, in ten years, an Android phone will be capable of running both iOS and WP apps.

In the end, this rivalry is meaningless because all these companies (MSFT, AAPL, GOOG, FB) are U.S-based, operating under the supervision of NSA.

I believe that the IT industry as a whole is moving towards some kind of a unification. No one needs to have two competing standards or modes of operation. It's neither efficient, nor effective. So, it's quite possible that, in ten years, an Android phone will be capable of running both iOS and WP apps.

In the end, this rivalry is meaningless because all these companies (MSFT, AAPL, GOOG, FB) are U.S-based, operating under the supervision of NSA.

in ten years its doubtful that msft, appl, goog and fb are rivalrying each other much. it will be more a rivalry between the western and eastern world.

/sigh. These analysts should be treated like the WBC. Just stop giving them attention to these stupid "market predictions".  :rofl:

This is just too far to happen I think...

The only way I see a merger happening between Microsoft and Apple would be with Apple buying Microsoft out. This could only happen of MS ended up a lot like BB where they were lumping along in the market at a severely depressed valuation. I understand that Windows 8 has been doing pretty poorly, but even still I can't see MS being so weak in the future that Apple would be able to just swap them up.

I still see MS moving to be very similar to IBM (working the backend and services larger clients) if they lose the mobile war and the desktop starts to slowly retreat. They will play a major role in software and cloud services no matter which way the market swings...

Basically, I just can't see how MS will become that low within the next 5 - 10 years. This not only seems unlikely it seems too far fetched to be realistic.

Do you not understand how competition drives things forward? And on topic, I also don't see it working.

If there was any chance of this happening it would have been in the late nineties and early 2000's. I personally can't see it happening at all.

^^^This. There is about a snowball's chance in hell of this happening. The 2 companies were founded on different ideals as well as catering to 2 different crowds and they have 2 different business models. Its like mixing oil and water its just not going to happen.

It wont happen even if both companies wanted it.  Would never get approved.

This.

I am surprised it took two pages of posts for someone to mention it.

I wonder how much these people get paid. I wish I could just stay at home and publish crap like this all day for a paycheck.

Kind of reminds me of the rumor that Apple was going to buy Nintendo (which I think is more likely than a MS/Apple merge)