wow the winter update looks bigger and more badass than a WoW expansion.  I played this for a fair while but found it to be a bit repetitive will be getting back into it when the update lands.

wow the winter update looks bigger and more badass than a WoW expansion.  I played this for a fair while but found it to be a bit repetitive will be getting back into it when the update lands.

Same, loved it when I had content to burn thru. Became so dull once maxed out :/

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with the progress they've been making.. it seems like the same game it was over a year ago. I'm sure there's been changes, but for simplicity level of this type of game and the amount of time they've had for development... their progress feels wholly lackluster.

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with the progress they've been making.. it seems like the same game it was over a year ago. I'm sure there's been changes, but for simplicity level of this type of game and the amount of time they've had for development... their progress feels wholly lackluster.

Disappointing to hear that :(

Been waiting patiently since falling in love with Terraria.

• 1 year later...

Starbound has a release date now: 22 July 2016

They announced this today during todays livestream, they are currently doing a Q & A on Twitch

I guess it's time to re-install and see what's new. I haven't played since 2014~ but I didn't want to burn out on it with the resets before the final game launched. Took a lot longer than I expected :p

I think they completely changed progression since then, you get quests instead of just summoning a boss to progress. :p NPC crew members and upgrades for your battle pets via unique collars are a thing now too. :) 

I've avoided playing nightlies since they said they were re-doing progression, I didn't want to get spoiled on the final story until it was all ready to play. Should be fun choosing a profession and working my way through this time.

TanzNukeTerror on Reddit took the time to transcribe the Q & A Livestream from earlier so here it is:

Spoiler

"What do you have planned for post-release content?"

• 1.0 isn't the end, so there will be post-release updates
  • Content-wise: (Not 100%) self-contained themed updates (Example: Fishing update focused on a robust, fishing system, all complete and polished.) Will talk to the community to see what they'd like in terms of themed updates so they can get one at a time.
  • Story-wise: Some planned updates (not 100%) include possible missions, extra story content outside main storyline.

"Is there boss-specific loot?"

• Yes, they're really cool.

"Are the Protectorate furniture items available later on?"

• Most of the protectorate stuff is gone, for the time being at least. We thought it was important for the Protectorate to be unique and missing, because you're supposed to experience a sense of loss. (Might change in the future.)

"Is there automated farming?"

• There's sprinklers to help with automated crop farming, but other than that, not really.

"What's the state of servers?"

• With 1.0, you can join friends through Steam, or through their IP if you don't have Steam. Dedicated servers are still available.

"What about workshop support?"

• We're working on Workshop support right now, for 1.0. It looks like it's going to be there. It depends on whether or not we'll be able to get it ready by the release date.

"Are you still working on performance?"

• We're working on performance issues, in terms of bug-fixing, but 1.0 is already massively better-performing than the previous Stable. Small servers are generally better-performing, but large servers require better hardware [than small servers]

"Can the crew members copy your wardrobe?"

• In 1.0, there's crewmembers. You get them from doing quests for colonists.
  • You can get a Stylist [called tailor in-game, not stylist] crewmember, which will make your crew copy your wardrobe (except hats, because some randomly-generated quests change their hats).

"Has the capture pod pet system expanded?"

• Yes, quite a bit.
  • Better pathfinding
  • Pet collars (give pets stat boosts or perks, like health boost or more unique effects like the ghost collar)
  • Pet tether, allows you to have a pet tethered to a place as a guard pet
  • Pet healing station

"Will you wipe characters for 1.0?"

• Yes. We know people would prefer we didn't, but honestly, the game is so different that if we didn't wipe characters, you'd miss out entirely
  • Includes the Outpost expanding as your character progresses, missions, quests, achievements. There are so many things going on now that if you weren't to start a new character, you'd miss a great deal of this update.
  • Good news is now that we've hit 1.0 and everything's really solid, there are absolutely no plans to wipe characters or saves ever again.
  • In terms of post-1.0 content: If we add new worlds and planets, you will have to go to new worlds to experience that, but we're not going to touch your existing worlds or anything like that. That's one of the big things, coming out of early-access for us. It's no longer acceptable to wipe characters.

"Will there be a price hike when Starbound leaves early-access and hits 1.0?"

• No. We're going to stay at the current price.

"What are the difficulty changes?"

• There are three options for difficulty
  • Casual: Takes out hunger, you no longer /need/ to eat. No item-drop on death, only a percentage of your pixels.
  • Survival: The intended way to play Starbound. Has hunger. When you die, you drop your items, which stick around forever.
  • Hardcore: Hunger and permadeath. Not recommended for first-time players.

"Can the crew members die?"

• Yes. But their stats are based off your armor, so they can be really strong. But they can't die permanently, they beam up to your ship.

"Has the world generation changed?"

• Yes. Planets now have multiple sub-biomes instead of just single-biome planets. Example: You can find a volcano in a forest.
  • There is still progression, though. Different planet tiers unlock new biomes, so there's more variety as you go.

"Is it easier to find certain dungeons?"

• Yes. Esther, who is your guide throughout the game, is very wise and always gives you hints at where to look for dungeons. She won't tell you exactly where to find them, but will nudge you in the right direction. It's not entirely random like before, but focuses on exploration.

"How do you obtain the cave scanner and ore scanner?"

• That's something we're going to let you find out. They are in 1.0

"Will there be an opportunity to bring back the Protectorate?"

• Building a colony is thematically tied to that. Like you're building a colony in spirit of the Protectorate.

"What is the level at which mods interact with the game, and how flexible is the system?"

• We can't open up absolutely everything to the modding API, but more than ever.
  • One of the biggest systems is the new active Item system. You'll be able to create really unique things in lua if you have some coding knowledge.
  • If you don't have programming knowledge, you can still create unique weaponry, furniture, armor, and everything else with just some configuration changes and art.

"Can we play through the story on multiplayer?"

• Yes. Of course. You can play through the entire story in multiplayer. That's how we intend, really. The one exception is the Protectorate [intro] mission, but after that, you can play through the entire story in multiplayer.
  • Our recommended way to play Starbound is with 1-4 people, but you can play with as many as you'd like.

"Are there randomly-generated encounters?"

• Yes, NPCs that generate on the world can generate quests relative to their location.

"Will character progression be easier in multiplayer?"

• There's not much that re-balances the game for multiplayer based on the number of players.
  • We found in testing that a lot of people liked to go into multiplayer to work together and make things easier.

"What is the status of the skyrail system?"

• It's been replaced by an entirely new system that allows you to make elevators, all sorts of complex shapes and configurations, and comes with all sorts of new objects that allow you to make rails alternate.
  • They're semi-integrated with wiring, which lets you build really interesting stuff.

"What about Novakids and Novakid villages?"

• Novakids don't have villages in 1.0, and there's a reason for that and it ties very directly into their lore. Once people play through the game, I think they'll understand why that is, but that doesn't mean we don't want to do Novakid content.

"When is 1.0 coming out?"

• 22nd of July 2016 (Steam, GoG, the Humble store)

"Is it easier to create custom maps?"

• Yes. We use a tool called Tiled, which is a map editor. We use it to create dungeons and missions and microdungeons. It's already available, but to use it very nicely for Starbound, we're doing a little bit extra to make sure people have an okay time with it.

"So will we get Starfoundry now?"

• Metadept, the creator of Starfoundry, now works on Starbound fulltime, and it's something he'd like to look into one day. But it's going to remain his mod, because it's so advanced that it should probably remain a mod, since that's what modding is for. But it looks like Starfoundry might come back one day.

"How will collecting clues work in multiplayer?"

• It works pretty much the same way. Of course, multiplayer gives you a lot of options for teleporting to each other so you can split up and find separate clues to make things go faster. But the mechanic works the same way, you just scan the clues. You each have your own quest, so you can both scan the same clues and update your quest bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Starbound v1.1 - Changelog

Major changes:

Fishing

• Two tiers of fishing rods are now craftable from the Foraging Table and can be used to fish on ocean planets (including arctic, toxic and magma oceans)
  • Added 48 unique fish types to catch
  • Rare fish can give valuable rewards, including reel and lure upgrades to enhance your fishing rod

Collections

• New Collections interface tracks various kinds of collectables including captured pets, figurines, fish, cooking recipes, fossils, and bugs

• 3 months later...