Another sign curved iPhones may happen

http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/10/another-sign-curved-iphones-may-happen-apple-scores-a-patent-for-curved-touch-surfaces/

Even a gadget addict like me can?t see much of a point in curved-screen smartphones, but that?s not stopping companies from exploring the technology.

Apple has just scored U.S. Patent No. 8,603,574, which covers a ?curved touch sensor,? reports AppleInsider. We?ve recently heard that Apple may beexperimenting with curved screen iPhones, so this latest patent makes plenty of sense.

It describes a new way of building a touch panel that could eventually be used in future iPhones, iPads, touch mice, and other gadgets. According to the patent, one technique involves laying a touch panel over a flexible substrate while it?s flat, which is then joined together with a second, curved flexible substrate.

While the technique may be unique to Apple, both LG and Samsung have already released curved screen smartphones of their own. And, no, there?s still no clear reason why you?d want a curved smartphone.

Apple?s patent also shows a way that it can use a flat touch panel right under a curved glass display (which may be cheaper to produce, but likely won?t make for accurate touch interaction).

Perhaps more intriguing than a curved iPhone, the curved touch panel technology could be used in something like Apple?s rumored iWatch, which could one-up the smartwatch competition by using a curved glass display to better fit your wrist.

not sure what to think about this 

I wonder if they are gonna try to sue LG and Samsung now. Seems like apple and other tech companies get patents just to sue people.

I fail to see the attraction in a curved phone. The LG version is interesting in that it can bend without breaking, but I feel like that was almost made curved just to show that off. Just make it flat and let it bend a little without breaking, you know, the exact opposite of what they did. I definitely don't understand the curve the other way like Samsung's little toy. Really? So you can push one end down and get notifications? I can think of a thousand better ways to do that, not to mention that the one they built is VERY slow to respond (I'd assume due to polling speed of the sensors, higher means faster response, but less battery life). They all just seem like gimmicks that are beyond pointless. How awkward would a curved phone be in your pocket?

Now, curved wearable electronics are MUCH more likely, and much more useful. For a watch type device it would be awesome, but a curved phone? No thank you.

I believe the point of a curved phone would be larger screen that you can use one handed. The phones like the s4 and note are really to big to use with one hand successfully. If it were curved I may make less spelling errors with one handed operation. If there were an option that the phone was flexible, that would be even better.

It looks like patent troll monster Apple is looking to go after Samsung again, even though they weren't first to make a curved phone :no:

The patent is on manufacturing technology for curved surfaces that Apple has made. IT IS NOT A PATENT ON CURVED ANYTHING!

Since when does reality matter with this crowd?  These folks don't need much motivation to pick up the pitch forks and torches and storm the Apple campus with an angry mob.