Console of the Year: PS4 Wins (TrustedReview)

The Last of Us is my console of the year.

To be fair with semantics why can't there be a previous gen and current gen console of the year? It's not like when the iPhone/Android phones launch Q3/Q4 people comparing say we can't award some phone of the year title as it's not fair on the previous handsets. This is Christmas, you're going to get 'awards' like this regardless of how long something has been out prior to Christmas, again, just saying.

What i'm saying is what has the PS4 (or the XB1 for that matter) done to warrant "Console of the year"? Nothing, that's what.

The accolade would be far better suited to a console that achieved something, like the 360 or PS3.

Better specs and graphics capabilities for one, which I believe is the main purpose of a gaming console upgrade.

But it also added features which many people wanted; e.g Controller-free motion detection, second screen, party chat, voice control, companion apps, face login, etc.

Plus a bunch of new features which I hadn't seen suggested before.

The consoles have been out awhile now and you can do a lot of testing in two months, maybe the game line-up isn't the best at this stage but everything else is a vast improvement.

Better specs and graphics capabilities for one, which I believe is the main purpose of a gaming console upgrade.

But it also added features which many people wanted; e.g Controller-free motion detection, second screen, party chat, voice control, companion apps, face login, etc.

Plus a bunch of new features which I hadn't seen suggested before.

The consoles have been out awhile now and you can do a lot of testing in two months, maybe the game line-up isn't the best at this stage but everything else is a vast improvement.

We'll just have to agree to disagree i think.

• Like 3

Hello,

A console that has been out a few weeks wins console of the year :laugh:

If anything the console of the year should goto the PS3 or 360

Not being funny here but surely the XBox 360 would have been console of the year?

QFT.

Does everything I expected it to do.   Games? Check.  Bluray Movies? Check.   Netflix? Check.  Web Browsing? Check.   

So does the One. Both consoles appear to be great, but I am still not quite sure, aside from the hype train and good old fashion teen angst, why people choose a clear console winner a month in...

:rolleyes:

So does the One. I am still not quite sure, aside from the hype train and good old fashion teen angst, why people choose a clear console winner a month in...

:rolleyes:

There are consoles and games that have won awards before they were even released, two months into a release is plenty of time to decide which is better.

Maybe they'll have significant changes in the future and another one ends up better. This is just the opinion of the TR Judges, which was backed by the TR public voters, I don't get why people are getting upset over it.

I prefer the PS4 over the Xbox One, but its not awards like this or anyone else's opinion which persuaded me.. I played with both and saw what both had to offer. I suggest everyone to do the same and stop making mountains over molehills, its just a game console after-all..

There are consoles and games that have won awards before they were even released, two months into a release is plenty of time to decide which is better.

Maybe they'll have significant changes in the future and another one ends up better. This is just the opinion of the TR Judges, which was backed by the TR public voters, I don't get why people are getting upset over it.

I prefer the PS4 over the Xbox One, but its not awards like this or anyone else's opinion which persuaded me.. I played with both and saw what both had to offer. So stop making mountains over molehills. 

Don't get your panties in a bind.

No one made 'mountains over molehills' about it. Neither do I see people getting upset over it, rather they are stating their opinion in a public forum.

To your point that games win awards before they are even released... the fact that it happens in itself is bogus, and rather idiotic in scope and practice. It tells a large tale that even movies and other mediums do that, but that is another story and conversation.

That said, even with a public poll, and some judges backing, I find it odd and angsty that a winner was even chosen a month in, but then again, everyone wants a good story, and everyone wants a winner and a loser to justify their lives and purchases.

Like I mentioned, both are great, though I do have a favorite out of the two, I cannot say one is a winner over the other.

As a side note, when you start telling folks a good reason to buy a console is because it is smaller and can fit in a cramped bedroom, you lose all validity with me. Others will disagree, but it is points like that, and the whole 50% more power thing that tweaks my melon. In terms of use so far, both consoles are nearly identical, in terms of what people HOPE they will be, well, that's miles off (see latest American President for additional example of hope vs substance).

No one made 'mountains over molehills' about it. Neither do I see people getting upset over it, rather they are stating their opinion in a public forum.

To your point that games win awards before they are even released... the fact that it happens in itself is bogus, and rather idiotic in scope and practice. It tells a large tale that even movies and other mediums do that, but that is another story and conversation.

That said, even with a public poll, and some judges backing, I find it odd and angsty that a winner was even chosen a month in, but then again, everyone wants a good story, and everyone wants a winner and a loser to justify their lives and purchases.

Like I mentioned, both are great, though I do have a favorite out of the two, I cannot say one is a winner over the other.

If you have to dispute a judges vote and public opinion on something then I'd say that is being upset. If it meant nothing than I don't see the point in posting negative remarks in this forums. (As you can see Forum Moderator had to step-in and delete them)

Its been two months since they were released, not one. You yourself are trying to downplay the award and give bogus information to de-validate its relevance just by taking off a month so yes, you are making mountains out of molehills if you have to do that. Its just an award. As you mention you have a favorite (Xbox One obviously), but you say you can't pick a winner.. But that favorite is your winner. At TR it just seems that the PS4 is the favorite and that's it... Its not the end of the world if other people don't share the same opinions as you.

If you have to dispute a judges vote and public opinion on something then I'd say that is being upset. If it meant nothing than I don't see the point in posting negative remarks in this forums. (As you can see Forum Moderator had to step-in and delete them)

Its been two months since they were released, not one. You yourself are trying to downplay the award and give bogus information to de-validate its relevance just by taking off a month so yes, you are making mountains out of molehills if you have to do that. Its just an award. As you mention you have a favorite (Xbox One obviously), but you say you can't pick a winner.. But that favorite is your winner. At TR it just seems that the PS4 is the favorite and that's it... Its not the end of the world if other people don't share the same opinions as you.

Getting back to the topic, you say I am downplaying the award, hardly, I am saying it is rather a small thing in scope, and quite frankly a joke to reward an annual console award to a new console that is rather the same than another using some rather 'dumbed' down criteria. Give out all the awards you want, but I find fault in the fact they used a console award to generate clicks and ride hype and current trends.

I haven't said which I like more, but in honesty, I prefer the One overall, based on what I use it for, but as for only a 'game console', I find both equally fun and useful. To your point, which is made personal several times in your word choices, great, people chose the PS4, all I said was I am not sure other than hype and angst why people choose a winner a month in. Period. Good Day!

why people choose a winner a month in. Period. Good Day!

Two Months.

To add to the topic at hand: 

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Takes-75-Vote-Worldwide-Voting-Poll-57297.html

"If PolarGreen Man GamingIGNKotakuTwitter or Amazon's poll came across as fixed or influenced by the amassing waves of pro-Sony supporters and PS4 fanboys the world around, perhaps a non-biased, non-affiliated, non-partisan system could be used to gauge consumer interest between the PS4 and XB1? Welcome to XboxOnevsPsfour "

Where "PS4 Takes 75% Of The Vote In Worldwide Voting Poll"

Meh I wouldn't put much faith in internet polls, they're so easily skewed, and in some cases flat out cheated, it's happened before. Just look at all the bogus X1 downvotes on Amazon for example. If anything should pick a "winner", it should be the number of sales, which is clearly showing a different result.

• Like 2

To add to the topic at hand: 

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Takes-75-Vote-Worldwide-Voting-Poll-57297.html

"If PolarGreen Man GamingIGNKotakuTwitter or Amazon's poll came across as fixed or influenced by the amassing waves of pro-Sony supporters and PS4 fanboys the world around, perhaps a non-biased, non-affiliated, non-partisan system could be used to gauge consumer interest between the PS4 and XB1? Welcome to XboxOnevsPsfour "

Where "PS4 Takes 75% Of The Vote In Worldwide Voting Poll"

And yet, the Xbox is selling just as well as the PS4, if not selling faster.  Shows how much value are in the polls.  These are the same ones that said Xbox would tank 6 months ago.

• Like 3

Meh I wouldn't put much faith in internet polls, they're so easily skewed, and in some cases flat out cheated, it's happened before. Just look at all the bogus X1 downvotes on Amazon for example. If anything should pick a "winner", it should be the number of sales, which is clearly showing a different result.

And yet, the Xbox is selling just as well as the PS4, if not selling faster.  Shows how much value are in the polls.  These are the same ones that said Xbox would tank 6 months ago.

But the sales are saying the same thing, more PS4's have been sold. Its not as biased as the polls suggest but stock is non-existent on the PS4. Its hard to sell something you haven't got in stock, but even then pre-orders on the next PS4 shipments are pretty huge.

Personally I'd prefer it if it wasn't so popular cause I wouldn't have to wait till March for PS4 stock in Australia! But unfortunately its selling out before it even gets shipments here and I have to wait for a pre-order I made after I decided I'd get hands-on experience with both before I decided.. Next time I will just put a pre-order in for both and just sell the one I don't plan on using.. might even cover the costs of the other console judging by what some PS4's are selling at on eBay.

PS4 was released nov 15th and it's dec 17th. That's 32 days, it's not two months yet.  :)

Ah okay, my bad. I thought they were out longer for some reason. Into the 2nd month at-least lol.

But the sales are saying the same thing, more PS4's have been sold. Its not as biased as the polls suggest but stock is non-existent on the PS4. Its hard to sell something you haven't got in stock, but even then pre-orders on the next PS4 shipments are pretty huge.

Personally I'd prefer it if it wasn't so popular cause I wouldn't have to wait till March for PS4 stock in Australia! But unfortunately its selling out before it even gets shipments here and I have to wait for a pre-order I made after I decided I'd get hands-on experience with both before I decided.. Next time I will just put a pre-order in for both and just sell the one I don't plan on using.. might even cover the costs of the other console judging by what some PS4's are selling at on eBay.

At least you get to wait until any actual good games might be released. That said, it's not that hard to get one in australia if you really want one

But the sales are saying the same thing, more PS4's have been sold.

Last I've been reading the sales numbers are rather close.. nowhere near the numbers these opinion polls are claiming.

At least you get to wait until any actual good games might be released. That said, it's not that hard to get one in australia if you really want one

On eBay at double the price?

Cause I've tried every retailer and online store, unless I want to pay ridiculous prices all are saying shipment around march now.

Ah okay, my bad. I thought they were out longer for some reason. Into the 2nd month at-least lol.

Sony started production before Microsoft. I think the time difference is close to a month or something. If we assume 1M/month production, there should be 1M more PS4s in the wild than XBO.

The latest figures we have are 2M XBO and 2.1M PS4. It's hardly a landslide sales victory for PS4.

This is with the rumored "yield issues" for XBO. Imagine what would have happened if XBO didn't have "yield issues" (tongue firmly in cheek).

I think its great that people like the ps4, but why is this news to anyone.

We don't need any polls to tell us people like the ps4, just look at the sales figures.

Its a great console.

I'm not sure why people would take this poll and then make a claim against the X1 though. News flash: its selling well too. People like the console, gamers like the console. Turns out MS built a console that can game just like the ps4 does. They have also invested tons of money into game development like Sony has. Sony just went with a stronger gpu. The existence of media features does not invalidate gaming features.

The best thing we can do is enjoy what we own and leave it at that. We don't need polls to validate our opinions. If you prefer the games on the ps4, then your in for a treat. I'm glad I got it thanks to the games that will be coming.

Because things like this thread happen, it get's people talking and talking means interest and interest means more sales. If people are looking to buy then the sensilble people look to reviews and oh hello trusted reviews lets check you out.

I am not in anyway suggesting this of the article in question, but I used to know a guy who did techie reviews and he was sent items to review, and sometimes (possibly the majority) the things that got the highest score, were the ones that never went back ;)

It was released 8 years ago, its not hard to say a current-gen console has beat a 8yr old console. Or a competing console which has been out the same amount of time.

If you had a choice between a 360 and a PS4 would you get the 360? I know I wouldn't nor would I get a PS3 over an Xbox One but I'm not a fanboy of a brand, I just go for whatever I think is better.

Personally, not having played a PS4 so can't really include that but having owned a PS3, XBox 360 and a Xbox One I would choose the 360 in it's latter form over any of the others. Don't get me wrong I love my XB1 but it seems to be missing some of the functionality that the 360 had in terms of social and online gaming (party system etc). I never got on fully with the PS3 so the 360 would get my vote for sure.

This early in the generation, I feel a last-gen console was a much better option.

Uh-huh -- I'm half tempted to finally get a 360 now that the thing is plenty mature, lots of deals to be had, etc etc.. probably the same on the PS3 side I would think. (Of course, being primarily a PC gamer puts me in a "don't need next gen till last gen" mood.)