Smart-TV - Plays Network Files from NAS

Roger H.

Not that I should since my wife will kill me but just wondering if there are any that does this. I've seen a few that says they can play MKV container formats but then someone showed updates where the option no longer worked. Older Samsungs those were. There are a few too that i see can do it from the USB port but i rather from the NAS/Network.

I have a LG TV (non-smart) and like it but wanted to go bigger. I don't really need "Smart TV" features per say because i have a WDTV Live box that plays everything currently. I just figured i'd combine them instead and enjoy a new TV all at the same time.

Basically i use the WDTV box for movies/tv shows from Netflix/Hulu Plus and streaming Music from Pandora/Spotify/Shoutcast stations but once in a while i play some MKVs too. If the TV could do all that by itself i could just simply move the box to the bedroom or something and enjoy the built in functions.

D. S.

Most TVs don't play MKV files and the ones that do aren't very "open" about it. Can you set it up so your NAS can run software that transcodes the files and serves them over DLNA?

tuckeratlarge

My new Samsung 6670 Smart TV plays MKV just fine. I think they all do from Samsung.

• 3 weeks later...
Vandalsquad

Mine doesn't play MKVs.. I think we're still a bit away from replacing a dedicated streaming box and plugging our tvs straight to lan without issues.

+Anarkii

Easy fix - change the extension from .mkv to .avi 

I have a Samsung Smart tellie and the mkv's didnt play for me, changed the extension to avi and they played, flawlessly. A simple fix but it works.
;)

firey

Pretty sure my Samsung Smart TV Plays them, though I usually just use my raspberry pi instead of relying on Samsung All Share which is hit or miss.

+Anarkii

For me they dont play - I got a 40 inch LED smart tellie, e4000 or something like that. 
Using the Allshare program too. 

jerzdawg

Not the easiest method but it works pretty flawlessly for me.  

Run Universal Media Server on my PC

Using Skifta app on my iphone (there is something similar for android)

Through Skifta you choose 3 things

server (UMS)

playback (TV) in my case its a Panasonic VT50

file (you can choose any video file off of your NAS)

Roger H.

Trying at avoid transcoding and just doing it straight from SAMBA. No DLNA stuff either. So I guess Samsung is the only option then. :)

The_Observer

My new Samsung 6670 Smart TV plays MKV just fine. I think they all do from Samsung.

This! my Samsung TV plays every MKV file i have put at it, 

The_Observer

Pretty sure my Samsung Smart TV Plays them, though I usually just use my raspberry pi instead of relying on Samsung All Share which is hit or miss.

Have a Smart TV also, recommend you look at Plex! works great.

riahc3

Hello,

Easy fix - change the extension from .mkv to .avi 

I have a Samsung Smart tellie and the mkv's didnt play for me, changed the extension to avi and they played, flawlessly. A simple fix but it works.

;)

Its not a extension fix.

Sometimes people dont know the difference between codec and container, but its OK :) Its easy to mistake.

You have gave a MKV video has is encoded with xvid or mpeg4, for example. Same as you can have a .avi the same way.

Lets say your TV only plays xvid (for example). If you make a avi video with mpeg4, that video will not play on the TV.

Sure, some TVs filter extensions but it all comes down to codecs.

I simply use WMP to stream to my TV. Works great.

But Ive done a quick search and yeah, it seems most Samsung can. I THINK my LG can too, not entirely sure since I now stream to my bluray player (bluray has 802.11n and tv only has 802.11g)

+John Teacake

I have something similar an LG None Smart TV. What about Chromecast's Although files from local sources support is lacking Booooo! Or that Media Box thing called Roku or something they look good. 

• 3 weeks later...
compl3x

My LG plays .mkv just fine. I stream stuff from my NAS to my t.v. via DLNA everyday.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra hands-on and first impressions
      by João Carrasqueira

Samsung introduced the Galaxy S21 family a couple of months ago, and so far, we've reviewed the standard Galaxy S21 and the Galaxy S21+, which have the most in common among the three members of the lineup. Now, Samsung has sent us the Galaxy S21 Ultra, which takes everything up a notch.

The S21 Ultra is Samsung's range-topper, and that permeates through every part of the spec sheet. You get up to 16GB of RAM and 512GB of internal storage, whereas the two smaller models max out at 8GB and 256GB, respectively. The model we got has 12GB of RAM, and that's still more than the Galaxy S21, but it also only has 128GB of storage. The S21 Ultra still has the same Exynos 2100 chipset (or the Snapdragon 888 in North America), though.

What else makes this phone "ultra" is that it has a large four-camera setup on the back, in addition to a time-of-flight sensor to help with depth perception. There's a 108MP main camera, a 12MP ultra-wide-angle lens, and two whole telephoto cameras, one with 3x optical zoom and a periscope lens with 10x optical zoom, both with 10MP resolution. The display is also Quad HD with refresh rates between 10Hz and 120Hz, while the other two S21 models only support Full HD and can only slow down the refresh rate to 48Hz.

We're currently in the process of reviewing this phone, but in the meantime, you can check our first impressions of it in the video below:

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Samsung is set to hold another Galaxy Unpacked event on April 28
      by Jay Bonggolto

Samsung held its recent Galaxy Unpacked event in March where it unveiled the Galaxy A52, A52 5G, and A72. Now, the tech giant has released a new invite for yet another Unpacked event this month.

The affair will take place on April 28 and it will be Samsung's fourth Unpacked event this year. It will also be streamed live on the company's website at 10am Eastern Standard Time.

Although Samsung didn't mention anything about what the event will be for, the teaser states: "the most powerful Galaxy is coming." Seeing as the South Korean tech giant has already announced quite a plethora of phones this year, there's a slim chance it could be yet another typical smartphone. At the moment, there's no clear indication as to what Samsung might introduce a few weeks from now.

That said, it's possible we could be seeing a new foldable device from Samsung soon. Note that the Galaxy Z Flip launched around this time last year, but Samsung has yet to unveil a new foldable phone. It's also hard to rule out the possibility of a new smartwatch coming out at the event. Other speculations point to the debut of Samsung's first Windows 10 PC powered by its own Exynos processors. It's anybody's guess for now.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Samsung's future phones may have sensor-shift cameras for more stable images
      by Jay Bonggolto

Samsung's flagship phones have long had optical image stabilization (OIS), and most recently it incorporated the same camera technology into its mid-range Galaxy A lineup, starting with the Galaxy A72. Soon, the tech giant may introduce a more advanced image stabilization system to its phone cameras.

A new report from GalaxyClub suggests Samsung's future smartphones will feature sensor-shift cameras like that of the iPhone 12 Pro Max. For the uninitiated, this type of camera is integrated with sensors that move to compensate for vibrations when you're taking a photo. In contrast, OIS involves moving the lens to stabilize the image.

There's no clear indication as to when we might see this image stabilization system in an actual phone. For now, Samsung is reportedly testing the sensor-shift camera for a new device.

That said, there's every chance the image stabilization system could be integrated into Samsung's next flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S22 series. In addition, a few days ago, a Twitter post made rounds on the web claiming that the South Korean tech firm was collaborating with Olympus for the camera of its next-generation flagship devices. The Japanese camera maker is known for building cameras with sensor-shift systems, so it's possible that Olympus may be developing the rumored sensor-shift camera for future Samsung handsets.

Source: GalaxyClub

• By anmol112
      LG Wing gets a whopping $530 discount in India
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Earlier this month, LG announced that the company will be shutting down its mobile business to focus on its other businesses like EV components, connected devices, smart homes, robotics, AI, and B2B solutions. However, the company said it would sell off its existing inventory before exiting the market completely.

Now, it looks like LG is doing just that in India. Earlier today, Flipkart updated the LG Wing listing to include a whopping ~$536 discount. The Korean giant launched LG Wing in India last year and it was priced at Rs. 69,990 (~$935). With the new discount, customers can get a LG Wing from Flipkart at Rs. 29,999 (~$399), netting them a 58% discount.

Apart from that, customers can also get up to Rs. 16,500 (~$220) discount by exchanging their current device for the LG Wing. You can get a further 5% discount if you use Flipkart Axis Bank Credit Card to pay for the device. Lastly, Flipkart will also let customers purchase a Google Nest Hub and Nest Mini at Rs. 5,999 (~$80) and Rs. 1,999 (~$26) respectively.

In case you don't remember, LG launched the Wing with an innovative dual-screen design where the top screen could rotate 90-degrees to reveal a second screen. The smartphone is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G SoC which is paired with 8GB of RAM and up to 256GB of storage. The LG Wing also features a triple-camera setup with 64MP primary camera with OIS, 13MP ultra-wide camera, and a 12MP ultra-wide big pixel camera, which is meant to be used in swivel mode. On the front, there is a 32MP pop-up selfie camera. To power the hardware, LG has added a 4,000mAh battery which can be charged at 25W with QuickCharge 4+. The smartphone comes with Android 10 with Q OS out-of-the-box.

There is no word on if the discount is going to stay as LG has not officially announced the price reductions. So, if you are interested in picking up LG Wing for yourself then you can head to Flipkart and order one. The device is currently listed as coming soon but we are expecting it to go on sale in a couple of days as a part of Flipkart's Flagship Fest Sale. You can also check out our full review of the LG Wing to get an idea about the device.

• By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 22: LG gives up on phones, and what's next for Windows 10
      by João Carrasqueira

The Neowin Podcast is supported by Audible, a provider of audiobooks, podcasts, and other audio-based entertainment that you can download and listen to anywhere, even when you're offline. Plus, if you also use Kindle to read books, your progress can even sync between your written books and the audio version. Sign up for a free trial of Audible and get your first audiobook for free at audibletrial.com/neowin. You can even keep that audiobook - and any other ones you end up getting - forever if you cancel your subscription.

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast. On episode 22 - which might be our final one as Rich is leaving Neowin - we talk about the sad news that LG has officially called it quits on its mobile business, as well as the uncertain path for Windows 10 in the next few months.

This week started with news that may have left many of us disheartened. After almost two decades in the mobile phone space, LG has decided to close down its smartphone division due to the highly competitive nature of the market. As we discuss in the episode, LG was responsible for many innovations throughout the years, even in the smartphone era, with standout devices like the LG G Flex 2, the G5, or the V10.

Then, on Wednesday, we got a new Windows 10 build after a hiatus last week, and with it came a switch to a new development branch, co_release, signaling that Microsoft may be getting ready to wrap up development on the big Windows 10 feature update for this fall. We were expecting a big visual overhaul, x64 emulation on ARM, and potentially even support for Android apps, but it's unclear where things may be headed with this switch. The build also came with the news that Paint and Snipping Tool are going to start being updated through the Microsoft Store.

If you'd like to catch up on the news discussed in this episode, you can use the links below:

LG is officially shutting down its mobile phone business, but you may still get updates Retrospective: LG G Flex 2; LG G5, and LG V10 Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 21354 from the co_release branch Microsoft will update Snipping Tool and Paint through the Microsoft Store

You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · Episode 22 - LG gives up on phones, and what's next for Windows 10