says you. a person who breaks into someone's home is a loose canon. he brought a gun in with him. The intruder got everything he deserves. One less worthless person on the planet. The world is a better place for it.

A person who goes and chases after someone like this guy did and kills a person is also a loose canon and he's getting everything he deserves. Another worthless person off the streets and their town is a better place for it.

where i come from, we have poisonous snakes that likes dry and cool places, such as inside of houses. whenever we find one, in the house, garden or the neighborhood, we kill it for obvious reason.

i have no pity for the dead thief. if someone break into my home and remove any doubt that my home is my safe haven and the various worst case scenarios that could have happened. i would be hard pressed not to do what the homeowner did.

law and order, you say. american "law and order" will guarantee these small time thieves grow up to be big time murderers.

For some reason when I read it,  I read Fayetteville  and figured NC. 

Nope, York County PA,  One county over from me. 

You CANNOT go after someone in our state under any circumstances. 

Car, houses etc yes.  But once they LEAVE or are no longer a threat, there isn't anything you can do. 

Now, however the other side would be the way our current law is written. 

It protects you OUTSIDE, if you have a LEGAL right to be there.  IF he was legally allowed to be outside (say a public sidewalk) and this suspect reached for his waistband (as the record states) THEN he would be covered.  

So it's a grey area.   I'll have to check into my local forums and watch this story.  But I think he is screwed, just a bit. 

The intention by the home owner may have been merely to apprehend the culprit who was still in the vicinity of the alleged crime ergo premeditated murder was not intended but accidental.

The intention by the home owner may have been merely to apprehend the culprit who was still in the vicinity of the alleged crime ergo premeditated murder was not intended but accidental.

That seems to be the case as per the article here.

Certainly he should not have gone after the thief at all.

Americans... you guys sure love your Clint Eastwood image.... 

after saying that, the robber is scum, but punishment seems more fitting then death...

He was a career felon, this was going to be his eventual end or possibly life in prison, if anything the victim saved the state millions of dollars housing the scumbag

I wouldn't have chased him down but if he broke into my house he would of been dead before he left. When someone breaks into your house they aren't thinking rationally, a rational person doesn't break into a house with the intentions to either rob or kill you. He he had a gun which makes me believe he would of used it on the home owners given the chance. 

Why bother with having a police force when you can have guns! :s :wacko:

People forget that the Police are not there to protect you, their job is to cleanup the mess after the fact, people need to and should defend themselves and their property without repercussions, only people against that want defenseless sheep so they can rule over them 

• Like 3

People forget that the Police are not there to protect you, their job is to cleanup the mess after the fact, people need to and should defend themselves and their property without repercussions, only people against that want defenseless sheep so they can rule over them 

I guess most people around the world think that our police force can be there in a split second which just isn't the case, so while the person could be possibly be murdered, robbed or raped the cops are minutes away. Minutes can cost someones life. Seems like a lot of people here don't believe in self defense because they tell us how we're all clint eastwood wanna be's or cold blooded murderers because we own guns, sorry, just not the case. I value my life enough to protect it by any means necessary and if that bothers you then that's just to bad. 

I have zero problem with shooting a home invader dead when he breaks into your house, but when he's fleeing is another matter entirely.  Lethal force in defense of yourself and others is fine. Lethal force in pursuit of an escaping criminal is not.

• Like 1

A person who goes and chases after someone like this guy did and kills a person is also a loose canon and he's getting everything he deserves. Another worthless person off the streets and their town is a better place for it.

It's not black and white. I'd much rather be in the same room with a guy that will kill me if I commit a crime than with a criminal who would kill me while comitting a crime. If I'm not a criminal, I have nothing to be afraid of. I wouldn't promote vigilantism but I certainly wouldn't complain when it works out conveniently.

intruder breaks into house,pops a guest with 3 bullets, is chased, then fed some lead.

justice.

Karma. Sometimes the kicked dog bites back. Lucky it was a .22 and not a .30-06, or worse - a freakin'.45-70.

Very glad the robbing b**t*rd got fed the lead and is not wasting air anymore, but at the same time I really don't support such vigilantism. That a 21 year old got such a record on him and was still walking free - one can see that the legal kind of justice is often slow and dumb. At that point there's no hope that he'll magically turn into a half-decent citizen. But if justice is being done this way, it's still an intentional homicide and, well... the guy will now have to do time for a reason.

or instead, how about forced tenfold repayment... theft with a death sentence does help society as a whole but does not help the individual to whom it occurred. if mandatory forced labor @ min. wage with a payback scheduled 10X the value of the product/goods stolen, tons of youth would shy away from sheer fear of working hard.

So slavery then? 

So slavery then? 

if this is your definition of slavery yes... most would suggest it's not. Prison crews who clean up the roadside, do you consider that slavery? What about prison kitchen crews?

if this is your definition of slavery yes... most would suggest it's not. Prison crews who clean up the roadside, do you consider that slavery? What about prison kitchen crews?

I believe that's optional for inmates and if they opt-out they receive less food.  :)

But I'd say:

"mandatory forced labor @ min. wage with a payback scheduled 10X the value of the product/goods stolen" 

is pretty spot on for being considered slavery but then again that is legal in the US. 

Can't do the time (and tolerate "slavery" etc.), don't do the crime. It's very simple, really.

And ok - first timers, small time stuff, may have various alibi, confessions and circumstances that made them do it, but repeat offenders - straight to the quarry, to brown bread and water, for all I care.

I believe that's optional for inmates and if they opt-out they receive less food.  :)

But I'd say:

"mandatory forced labor @ min. wage with a payback scheduled 10X the value of the product/goods stolen" 

is pretty spot on for being considered slavery but then again that is legal in the US. 

better then a slap on the wrist, or like in the story, shot in the back...

remember, the idea would be to DETER theft and break-ins, the way things are right now, there isn't much deterrent.

In court documents, Shaffer told police he found the rifle and brought it into his home. When he realized it was a .22-caliber rifle, he loaded his own rounds into the gun, grabbed a flashlight and set out to find Hughes.

So after he was already gone he chased him and killed him?  I hope he ends up in jail.  You can't even claim self-defense once the guy has already left; it's just pure vigilantism.