Anything awesome on IOS that Android doesn

I lost my S4 and am missing my Android phone so much. I have to use my dad?s previous iPhone 4S as a temporary replacement. I said I'd give iOS a shot since it is my only option, but losing my S4 was really horrible. I miss the widgets, the customization , the automation and even my new mpj extended battery. I know IOS is popular and I should appreciate the iPhone more than I did.

Can anyone tell me something awesome on IOS that Android doesn?t have? Thanks.

Updates are managed by Apple directly, no middleman carrier meddling with Android OS releases. Be it a two or three year contract, the life of the Apple device goes with it rather than being abandoned 5 months in.

I would say the ability to backup and restore your phone to a 1:1 state via iTunes. As far as I know, Android's syncing only backs up app data and some data but not everything, unless you install a third party phone backup solution.

1) superior video chat to other iDevices via FaceTime vs all other chat programs

2) sending a video file via iMessage to a person outside the country (or even inside) is considered a text message. 

3) better security due to the "walled garden" 

4) simpler interface with "less is more" ideal

5) Even though smaller screen then competition, for my eyes, I rate it a better screen with richer color.

6) When comparing cross platform apps, the apps on IOS are almost always more polished, smooth, and error free.

7) As mentioned above, a better backup system.

8) More up-to-date with the latest OS offerings directly from Apple, although the Google Nexus devices now follow that quick update roll out

9) Better phone-to-youtube optimization

10) Better phone-to-phone video sending

11) airplay is easier from what i have tried.

These are just the ones I have found with using IOS and Android daily.

Everything rippleman said has merit if you expand. I'd like to add a few more things to his list:

12) AirDrop is more or less like the old-school bluetooth file transfer among iDevices and fairly recent Macs. There will always be an alternative that caters to all platforms such as Filedrop.

13) Printing is so darn simple! Proprietary as it may be, you can always download a tool which will make your USB or even plain network (wired/wireless) printer work with the Bonjour protocol and you can print through iOS without 3rd party software creating extra jumps and loops.

14) Restore all you want! You don't get carrier bundled garbage unlike a hard reset from Samsung, Sony, etc. If you have a custom ROM (Cyanogenmod for example), you're off the hook on this one.

That Android "open-ness" argument died when manufacturers decided that rooting=voiding your warranty and a lot of the good stuff does come for rooted users only.

• Like 2

• Android apps look ugly, design is usually poor, unstable and laggy. Also some of them are too simple (simple in a bad way). Most iOS apps, specially in iOS 7, are presented clean, polished, smooth and very stable.
  • Another thing I love about Apple iDevices is Airplay, is really so easy to send video, photos between devices, specially when you are using an AppleTV, even you can display your device on your HDTV without cables, play on it some games. Some apps let the iPhones and iPads become mini airplay servers, so you can use a device like an extra speaker. Also XBMC have the option to receive AirPlay content on any Mac, Windows or Linux machine. The Apple ecosystem works pretty neat here.
  • AirDrop is similar to Airplay, Airdrop let you send files between iDevices, similar to Bluetooth, but much easier.
  • FaceTime Video call and FaceTime audio are flawless, easy and cool, the sound is really clear.
  • Apps for iPad are really developed for the device, some are Universal, running on iPhones and iPads, some iPhone apps can run on the iPAd but enlarged.
  • Most of the apps are released first on iOS or are exclusive of the OS.
  • The native iPod Music app is a delight :D , easy navigation, clean interface, beautiful "Now Playing" feature, Lyrics, iTunes Radio integrated, Cloud integration.
  • The Settings app so much better organized than the android mess :rofl: .

The list is really big (and it will be bigger with the Jailbreak of iOS 7), but those are the top of my list.

Android or iOS. Frankly they are both very good. I am currently the proud owner of a Nexus 4 running KitKat and i couldn't be happier. I have access to a great App Store and a reliable phone. I had the same experience with my iPhone! Go with what you prefer in this instance. 

• Like 2

...I miss the widgets, the customization , the automation and even my new mpj extended battery. I know IOS is popular and I should appreciate the iPhone more than I did.

Can anyone tell me something awesome on IOS that Android doesn?t have? Thanks.

There's nothing to say that you should appreciate the iPhone more than you do. If the device doesn't suit your needs, it's as simple as that.

It looks like you can create some simple "widgets" so long as the developers have considered the idea, see here. Very basic compared to true widgets, but at least you can get some form of an overview on certain things.

For some automation, you could try looking in to Automator. However, given the price tag and the fact that I haven't used it, I can't really recommend it. I only found it because I thought of the Mac's Automator program and decided to do a quick search for a similar app.

I don't think there's any help for the battery life, unless you look in to an external charger. I recently picked up this MiTone battery pack and it's incredible for my phone (the S4) as well as including a cable for iPhones.

I can't think of anything that iOS does that Android can't do in one way or another. Overall it's the integration with other Apple products that makes it a winner for lots of people.

iOS privacy settings are better and more comprehensive.  Android it is still "all or nothing" approach.  If you install Facebook, you have to agree to let Facebook have all the access it wants of your data or else it will not install.  On iOS, each thing (Contacts, Locations, Photos, etc) can be authorized and (much more importantly) deauthorized later for each app.

18-sneaky-privacy-betraying-settings-eve

Other note worthy things I can think of (comparing OS to OS), better out-of-the-box backup (through iTunes or iCloud), and AirPlay is awesome (but I hear Chromecast will eventually take over... who knows?).

I'd say either platform covers the vast majority of user needs.  They both have their own set of niceties.

• Like 2

iOS has far better centralization of app restricted settings.  Android it is still "all or nothing" approach.  If you install Facebook, you have to agree to let Facebook have all the access it wants of your data or else it will not install.  On iOS, each thing (Contacts, Locations, Photos, etc) can be authorized and (much more importantly) deauthorized later for each app.

Better quality games (iOS vs. Android or Windows Phone and, in some cases, even ModernUI or Win32) - there's one iOS-exclusive game that I *wish* were available for Android or ModernUI, and it's NOT from Apple - Total Domination: Reborn. It has enough differences from the browser-based game that make it much more fun to play - and there are no real iOS-isms in the game that would preclude porting to a platform outside of iOS, either.  Several PopCap games are best on iOS vs. Android or ModernUI as well (Bejeweled Blitz and even Peggle are iDevice standouts, compared to Android, with Blitz even besting the Win32 desktop version, which is where it started - that's embarrassing, PopCap!).

Chromecast is really funtional, cool and cheap, a game changer for iOS and Android referring to stream media to old HDTVs. I think that's what Android needed.

iOS privacy settings are better and more comprehensive.  Android it is still "all or nothing" approach.  If you install Facebook, you have to agree to let Facebook have all the access it wants of your data or else it will not install.  On iOS, each thing (Contacts, Locations, Photos, etc) can be authorized and (much more importantly) deauthorized later for each app.

18-sneaky-privacy-betraying-settings-eve

Other note worthy things I can think of (comparing OS to OS), better out-of-the-box backup (through iTunes or iCloud), and AirPlay is awesome (but I hear Chromecast will eventually take over... who knows?).

I'd say either platform covers the vast majority of user needs.  They both have their own set of niceties.

Yep yep yep yep yep yep.

There are a few iOS apps that I haven't found great replacements for on Android, plus the iPhone really does "just work" most of the time. Also I have an Apple TV, so airplay is pretty great.

I don't have an Android phone, but I do have a Nexus 7, and I think Google Now and Google Maps are miles better than Siri and Apple Maps. Also Android is pretty great if you want access to your files like it's a real computing device.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I havent even read thru the thread (because this is looking to turn ugly) but is this thread stock iOS vs stock Android or jailbroken iOS vs rooted Android?

If you're visually impaired, iOS has better screen-reading and accessibility tools built-in. The iPhone is the only smartphone my legally-blind cousin can use for that reason.

Hello,

I havent even read thru the thread (because this is looking to turn ugly) but is this thread stock iOS vs stock Android or jailbroken iOS vs rooted Android?

Tbh, I've noticed a downward trend in the iOS v Android angry fanboy war.  It isn't as bad as it was around its peak which I would say was just after the iPhone 4 was released and was momentarily re-ignited by Apple v Samsung.  I think a lot of the overly emotional fanboys/haters have moved on to the XBox One vs PS4 angry fanboy war.

Anyway, when drawing comparisons I'd say its best to assume stock on both sides.  My eye's get so sore (from the rolling) reading Android fanboy posts that go on-and-on with what they can do with their rooted Android device that you can't do on stock iOS...

Once we are taking into account what is possible via "hacks", what are we really discussing anymore anyway?  I don't think that helps the average person who is uninterested in dicking around with hacks on their phone make a purchasing decision.

I don't think that helps the average person who is uninterested in dicking around with hacks on their phone make a purchasing decision.

Pretty much,. It's possible to do everything almost equally well on both platforms. Anything else is fanboy devotion or marketing nonsense.

One thing I have found using both Iphone 5 and the S4 is that the Iphone is much better in quality apps then android.  Another thing when going international Iphone 5 works great without additional configuration while S4 might need additional configuration and even then might not work.

• 1 year later...

What appeals me meybe AirDrop since iOS 7.0 had been published. Different from WiFi transfer, AirDrop uses Bluetooth to connect two iOS devices, and uses WiFi to transfer data from one to another. As a result, it's faster than by WiFi only. In a word, AirDrop is a fantasitc app. If you want to learn more about it, it is suggested come to recovery-android.com and get some more tips.

• 2 months later...

NVMe. Makes the internal memory of the iPhone 6s (Plus) read/write at speeds expected of high-end desktop SSDs. No Android phone has it yet.

Put it this way. I used to be an Apple/iPhone hater. About six months ago, I got tired of being a fanboy and dropped it, considering iPhone vs Android to be a pointless, Apple vs oranges issue. Now, after seeing that, I'm strongly considering a 128GB iPhone 6s Plus. The performance it offers is making me strongly consider changing teams. But my monthly bill would be double. Still, it's very tempting. I don't want to be an "Apple guy," but I don't want to be just an "Android guy" either. I want to be the guy who's tried both and has an educated opinion on both. Those guys (and gals) are the real winners.

I've actually been looking into switching to iOS/an iPhone since the 5s came out. And the conclusion I've come to is that most, or nearly all smartphone use is going to be universal across Android and iOS. Using Facebook, taking pictures, surfing the web, it's all about the same. My main concern is ad blocking. I had a legit site try to install ransomware on my phone because I'd just flashed a ROM and had forgotten to install the ad blocker. I don't think that can happen on iOS, but I don't really know. I guess ads can really only annoy you on iOS, and that might be a big advantage to the "walled garden."

So in a nutshell, I'd say iPhones come in more powerful configurations and offer better/simpler security, where Android offers customization and more varied hardware configurations (with fun stuff like IR blasters, memory cards, second or curved screens, removable batteries, etc).

• Like 1