Anything awesome on IOS that Android doesn

I just upgraded (side-graded?) to an iPhone 6s this past Monday. A week ago. I was tempted to stay with Verizon because I found out I could get a work discount. Verizon is still more expensive than Project Fi would be, but my wife and I now have a huge pool of data (16GB!) and new phones, and we're both very happy, though she still calls me a traitor.

The culture shock was huge at first. Like, "WTF am I doing? I'm an Android guy. This is so weird!" But it's cool. We don't use smartphones for the bloody OS. Who does that? We use smartphones to call and text, and to use apps. I use Facebook, Reddit (BaconReader on Android... official Reddit on iOS, nothing comes close), Glympse, Our Groceries... I used SeriesGuide on Android, and nothing's as mature on iOS yet, so I just use Trakt.tv in Safari (it's for managing TV show progress). Other than that, really, IDGAF. I mean, I used to give a great big one, but now? I'm loving the smaller screen, much better battery life, and generally the newness of iOS as opposed to my six years on Android.

And I still have my Android phone. I could maybe get $100 on Swappa for it, but since it's an HTC, nobody wants it. Everyone wants Apple or Samsung. And my Android phone has an IR blaster. At home, it's a 5" tablet. I don't have to get rid of it. For only $100 and then I gotta ship it? Eff that, I think I'll just keep it. If anything goes wrong with my iPhone, like NGT forbid I break it or something, I can just get a new SIM card and re-activate the HTC. There's value to having a backup phone. But even if you're an Android guy and you traded your phone in or sold it privately, you don't have to leave Android. You can run Nox on your PC. It's only KitKat, but it's Android on your PC. It runs IN Windows. It's really great if you can get it working. You can't do that with iOS.

Lastly, people ask me, now that I have an iPhone, what do I think about Android and iOS now? Like I'm an expert now on iOS (I'm not). So, since I love to quote Star Wars whenever I can, I hold up the iPhone, back out of course, and say, "This is an iPhone, the smartphone of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as an Android phone. An elegant phone... for a more civilized nerd." And they go NUTS. But really, consider the scene. Obi-Wan is comparing the lightsaber to a gun (Han Solo's blaster). Guns come in all shapes and sizes. From Han's pistol-sized blaster, to the Death Star's planet killer (or whatever it was called — did it have a name?). Guns have more variety, and they can definitely be more powerful. He's simply saying that the lightsaber is a more elegant solution, and that its use represents a refined civility. I'm not sure that's always true with iPhones, but it rings true for now. But really, that's just what I say if I feel like being smart about it. Usually I just say, "It takes calls, it does texts, and it runs the apps. Oh and the battery life is really good." Then I shrug my shoulders and that's that. I don't want to be a fanboy for the other side. I just wanna be the nerd who uses and appreciates both. But not the one who's missing an important call because he's flashing the latest kernel...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...