Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2014 edition)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

• Debian GNU/Linux
    • Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    • CentOS
    • Fedora
    • Arch Linux
    • (K|X|L)-Ubuntu
    • Mint
    • Gentoo
    • Slackware
    • Mandrake
    • Mageia
    • openSUSE
    • Other (specify in reply).
    • I roll my own distribution.
    • Elementary OS

Just a suggestion, but could people explain why they prefer their choice of distribution? I only ask because I have a spare machine lying around and am going to start messing around with Linux, so it would be good to hear why each person went for the distribution that they did.

My vote for the moment is Ubuntu, due to its easy setup. But that's because I haven't completely dived in to Linux yet so I just use it to test things.

My vote was for Debian due TOTALLY to it's stability and lack of bloat, which is especially a must being that I'm not a total Linux guru either, and the fact that any derivative of Ubuntu has always found a way to screw itself up and force a reinstall!

Personally,

I consider the any of the Ubuntu things nothing but bloat! Way more stuff get's installed than you'll ever need.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After trying out several distros a good while ago, I'm now running Kubuntu for a few years already. The stability is great, and didn't have any noteable problems so far. Vast amount of available software in the repositories, and pretty current, too (a lot more current than stable Debian). For those few times that the repositories don't have the latest version, or if I need a program that's not in there, there's still Launchpad with an immense amount of software.