Have IPV6 URL connect to my site

Go to solution Solved by PNWDweller,

Question

PNWDweller

I recently changed web hosting companies and have obtained 16 IPV6 addresses through them.  So, I am wanting to start using IPV6 connections to my web sites that I run and host.  I have set up a tunnel on my system to allow me to connect to IPV6 sites which I know are far and few between, but I know sooner or later the WWW will start having them.  I also know that being connected strictly via IPV6, you can access an IPV4 web site with no translation needed.  But this is really more of something I am wanting to try out. :)

For my DNS records, I have setup an AAAA record of ipv6.example.com (Where example.com is my domain name).  When I try to access the site via that URL, I get my web server's default page so I know it isn't working.  (Yes, I allowed for DNS migration).   The next step was to create an additional AAAA record of example.com with my IPV6 address.  This also doesn't link to anything BUT, my web server's default page.

How would I forward the IPV6 url to my IPV4 address?  (Ex:  ipv6.example.com loads up example.com transparently). Is there another DNS entry I would need to set?  My hosting control panel natively supports IPV6 as well. 

2 answers to this question

The_Decryptor

You create an A record pointing to your IPv4 address and a AAAA record pointing to your IPv6 address.

There's no "translation" if you haven't setup anything, if you only have IPv6 you can't load IPv4, etc.

PNWDweller

I think I got it.  In my Apache vhost file I had to add the following:

DocumentRoot /home/www/example.com/html (Or whatever the root is)

Servername ipv6.example.com

Reload Apache and that fixed it.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Comcast becomes the first ISP to join Mozilla's TRR program
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has announced that Comcast has joined its Trusted Recursive Resolver program which aims to make DNS (domain name system) more trusted and secure. Cloudflare and NextDNS are already part of the TRR program and provide their DNS services to Firefox users who opt to use DNS over HTTPS (DoH).

Commenting on the move, Firefox CTO Eric Rescorla, said:

With its TRR program, Mozilla said that encrypting DNS data with DoH is just the first step in securing DNS. It said that the second step requires companies handling the data to have appropriate rules in place for handling it. Mozilla believes these rules include limiting data collection and retention, ensuring transparency about any retained data, and limiting the use of the resolver to block access or modify content.

Commenting for Comcast, its Vice President of Technology Policy and Standards, Jason Livingood, said:

DNS is an important part of the online infrastructure as it functions like a phone book; when you type in a website like Firefox.com, the DNS will translate this URL into an internet address that the computer understands, your browser can then connect you to the right place. By introducing things like DNS over HTTPS, users will benefit from more security and privacy.

• By zikalify
      Firefox DNS over HTTPS rollout begins in the U.S.
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has begun rolling out DNS over HTTPS (DoH) by default for Firefox users in the United States. The plan is to continue pushing the new setting to Firefox installs over the coming weeks to confirm that there are no major issues. DoH by default will only affect U.S. installs but the company is exploring the possibility of rolling the setting out in other regions too.

DNS over HTTPS has been available for quite a while in Firefox and can be enabled by anyone, to do so, head over to Preferences > General > scroll down to Network Settings > Settings… > Enable DNS over HTTPS. You'll then have to choose a provider, right now you can pick Cloudflare, NextDNS, or add a custom provider. Mozilla said that it’s looking to expand the list of trusted resolvers in the future.

DNS works in a similar way to a phone book, for example, if you type neowin.net into your URL bar, DNS is used to find the corresponding IP address which is what’s used to find websites. Unfortunately, DNS lookups tend not to be encrypted which means that third-parties can intercept them, this is essentially how most web filtering software works at the moment.

While DoH is great for security and privacy, those interested in restricting children’s access to adult websites may have to figure out a new way to implement bans or learn how to disable DoH.

• By zikalify
      NextDNS partners with Firefox to help enhance user privacy and security
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has announced that it is partnering with NextDNS in order to help boost the privacy and security of its users. NextDNS joins Cloudflare as a member of Firefox’s Trusted Recursive Resolver (TRR) program which was launched in order to bolster DNS security and privacy.

Domain Name Systems (DNS) figure out which IP to direct your browser to based on the URL that you type in. This old technology has some drawbacks though such as DNS providers knowing what you’re browsing and the possibility of a middle man intercepting the request and pointing your browser elsewhere – many DNS-based parental controls use this technique to block access to websites.

As part of the TRR, NextDNS has to comply with a few rules that Mozilla has laid out including that data will only be used for operating the service and that it must be deleted after 24 hours. The TRR also states that the data cannot be sold, shared, or licensed to other parties, ensuring user privacy. One concern raised by opponents of DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) is that it interferes with parental controls. According to the TRR, Mozilla says that partners should allow a user to opt-in to filtering thus allowing parents to set up parental controls on their children’s devices.

Commenting on the news, Eric Rescorla, Firefox CTO, said:

Mozilla said that it looks forward to bringing more partners into the TRR program in order to lift the DNS system into the 21st century with privacy and security protections that users expect.

• By saurabhdua
      Hello there!

I have my Wi-fi router/access point configured to a 'disabled' IPv6 DHCP.

So how come the real-time phone details are showing up (kind of) autonomous v6 address allocation?!

Can someone pl help clarify on this anomaly?

Thanks.

• By indospot
      Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS gets a free VPN with Warp
      by João Carrasqueira

Last year, Cloudflare made the interesting decision to launch its 1.1.1.1 DNS app on April 1, which, despite being a troublesome date, does match the name of the service. Now, celebrating its first birthday, the firm has announced the next step in its evolution, Warp.

1.1.1.1 was meant to provide both greater speeds and more security to your internet traffic, and Warp aims to make that even better by encrypting the data you send and receive from your phone. As the company explains in a blog post, VPNs traditionally slow down the experience and can cause issues with a variety of scenarios, such as transitioning from Wi-Fi to the mobile network or accessing the internet through a captive portal.

Warp aims to not only protect your privacy online, but it aims to improve the connections speeds and reliability over typical VPN connections, which Cloudflare says can be a hard sell for users who don't know what VPN means. The firm says it will leverage its massive infrastructure to deliver fast connections to users all over the world, and that it might actually make your internet faster than you're used to. The worse your connection is right now, the better it'll be with Warp, Cloudflare claims.

Additionally, the technology is designed to minimize problems derived from spotty connections with faster recovery times from lost connections. It also uses WireGuard, a VPN protocol which aims to lower battery usage for VPN connections, so you shouldn't see as much of a drain as with other VPNs.

Warp is actually going to arrive as a free update to the 1.1.1.1 app, but not everyone will get it at once. You can sign up for the waitlist through the app right now if you want to reserve your spot in the beta program, though. If you want even more speed, Cloudflare will also launch Warp+, a premium version of the service which will cost you a "low monthly fee" if you want access to the company's virtual private backbone and Argo technology for even more speed.

And, as before, Cloudflare is promising to uphold your privacy. It says it won't log any of your data to disk, and it won't sell it for advertising purposes either. You also don't need to provide any personal details to use the service, and the company says it will hire independent auditors to keep its promises in check.

If you're interested in 1.1.1.1 with Warp, you can install the app for Android or for iOS right now, and sign up for the waitlist. Desktop versions are also coming soon.

Source: Cloudflare via ExtremeTech