PS4 outsold Xbox One by 166,000 consoles in UK last year

Sounds about right. It'll level off soon though unless Sony get their act together stock wise.

I can walk into any store around here and buy an Xbox One - there are still no PS4s on the shelves though.

Sounds about right. It'll level off soon though unless Sony get their act together stock wise.

I can walk into any store around here and buy an Xbox One - there are still no PS4s on the shelves though.

Game are doing their usual shoddy tactics of creating their own bundles at ridiculous prices near ?600, and not selling the units at RRP.

Same in the US. It's rather embarrassing in terms of public perception because now I have people asking me why the Xbox One isn't selling, when the reality is that they have much more inventory due to limiting their release. I appreciate Microsoft for holding off on shipping an unfinished product, but considering the price points and Sony having solid launch dates ahead with Japan being a huge market for them slated for Feb. 22nd, I think Microsoft needs to get moving if they plan to keep up.

Sony has done well on the global spectrum in the past, and seem to be following up strong with the PS4. Competition was hot initially, but I'd like it to stay hot for us as gamers/consumers.

Not bad at all for Sony. I'd say the price gap is a strong possibility for why we are seeing those numbers.

The price gap will definately play a role. Yes the extra features of the 360 are nice but for many people 100$ is a lot of money. When you look at the history 500$ consoles have never peformed well. The PS3 started to sell when the price was reduced to 400$. Yes with inflation 500$ is not as much as it used to be but it's still a lot of money.

I think Microsoft needs to make sure they don't get stuck in a situation like Nintendo.  Where Nintendo released the Wii U but unlike the original Wii, honestly to this day, has still been unable to show this is why you need the Gamepad.  Microsoft could face the same situation with Kinect.  Microsoft has essentially forced it into the hands of every One owner but they still haven't shown a compelling reason why you MUST have this and thus pay $100 extra.

If they aren't able to show that relatively soon then I think they'll be forced to drop the price sooner than they want to.  I don't think they'll drop the Kinect out because it will just fragment the market but it will eat into their costs if they're forced to drop the price early.

I think Microsoft needs to make sure they don't get stuck in a situation like Nintendo.  Where Nintendo released the Wii U but unlike the original Wii, honestly to this day, has still been unable to show this is why you need the Gamepad.  Microsoft could face the same situation with Kinect.  Microsoft has essentially forced it into the hands of every One owner but they still haven't shown a compelling reason why you MUST have this and thus pay $100 extra.

If they aren't able to show that relatively soon then I think they'll be forced to drop the price sooner than they want to.  I don't think they'll drop the Kinect out because it will just fragment the market but it will eat into their costs if they're forced to drop the price early.

I really like the Kinect for the voice control and being able to control my TV and home theater. I can even adjust the volume with Xbox One smartglass. That alone eliminated my need for an expensive universal remote and I think it was worth the $100 price difference.

As for Kinect games though, I agree, they should come up with more ways of taking advantage of it.

• Like 2

I really like the Kinect for the voice control and being able to control my TV and home theater. I can even adjust the volume with Xbox One smartglass. That alone eliminated my need for an expensive universal remote and I think it was worth the $100 price difference.

As for Kinect games though, I agree, they should come up with more ways of taking advantage of it.

I just don't like the whole "pay for it even if you're not going to use it" approach.

I, for example, never used the old kinect, and probably won't use the new one when I eventually pick up an Xbox one. It's not my style of gaming, I already have a complicated all-in-one remote to control my kit since I have a lot of stuff, and due to having a wall mounted TV, and an AV rack over the other side of the room, it's pretty much a pain to use anything like that since I'd have to balance it on my TV with a wire running across the floor every time I used it. I also kind of resent paying for something I'm not going to use.

I just don't like the whole "pay for it even if you're not going to use it" approach.

I, for example, never used the old kinect, and probably won't use the new one when I eventually pick up an Xbox one. It's not my style of gaming, I already have a complicated all-in-one remote to control my kit since I have a lot of stuff, and due to having a wall mounted TV, and an AV rack over the other side of the room, it's pretty much a pain to use anything like that since I'd have to balance it on my TV with a wire running across the floor every time I used it. I also kind of resent paying for something I'm not going to use.

MS is 'damned if they do, damned if they dont' basically.

If they want it to mean something for the system, it needs to be bundled, but then they make guys like you angry that resent it being bundled. No clear way out of that.

• Like 2

Same in the US. It's rather embarrassing in terms of public perception because now I have people asking me why the Xbox One isn't selling, when the reality is that they have much more inventory due to limiting their release.

Well about all you can do is set the record straight with them and explain the reality of it.

Unfortunately misinformation happens. This happens in general on the internet especially.

If they want it to mean something for the system, it needs to be bundled, but then they make guys like you angry that resent it being bundled. No clear way out of that.

I agree wholeheartedly - you can't please everybody all of the time!

yea, but alot things are like that, in that they come bundle with this or with a built-in that, which inevitable isn't going to be used/needed by a portion of buyers.

For example, webcams seem to be on every single laptop now-a-days & I have never used them, ever.

I'm pretty sure we've already seen the wii u gamepad be more useful for gaming than the kinect could ever possibly hope to be. Hell, off tv play alone makes the gamepad more useful than waving about and shouting.

Game are doing their usual shoddy tactics of creating their own bundles at ridiculous prices near ?600, and not selling the units at RRP.

Is Game in ur area equal to the horrid GameStop here in the USofA?... Ripping millions of customers off on a daily basis and such...

530k PS4's is a hell of lot considering the population is about 73m or so. You will struggle to find a ps4 too, xbox one has been much easier to buy, it is even in stock on amazon.

I read somewhere that the xbox one has a new sku that is being mass produced already, for microsoft's sake lets hope that is an xbox one with no kinect and launches at the same price as the ps4 otherwise microsoft is going to be selling 30% or so less consoles in uk and many other countries.

Yeah there is you have one bundle with it included and another with it not. That way the consumer can decide. It's not an either or situation, you can have both options.

By including Kinect with every console developers know it will be something they can count on having - meaning down the line we will see it used in a lot more places. It was a calculated risk they took, and luckily it didn't seem to hurt them in sales

• Like 1

Yeah there is you have one bundle with it included and another with it not. That way the consumer can decide. It's not an either or situation, you can have both options.

The problem there is that suddenly you have a situation where some users have the device and some don't. Now developers have even less reason to make certain features standard.

So while your right that it offers users a choice, it also drastically reduces the chances of users seeing proper content that is tailored to using various Kinect features properly. And I don't mean full on Kinect only games. For some reason you guys have this idea that the only way Kinect is justified is via Kinect-only titles. Maybe last gen that was true, but not now thanks to its system level integration.

I'm pretty sure we've already seen the wii u gamepad be more useful for gaming than the kinect could ever possibly hope to be. Hell, off tv play alone makes the gamepad more useful than waving about and shouting.

Unfortunately, that has not helped WiiU sales. The thing about Kinect is that it offers more than just possible gaming features. Now dismiss those features all you like, but reality can't be ignored here. Your exactly right that the remote play via the wiiu gamepad is a great feature, nothing is taking away from that.

Just more personal opinions mixing in with real facts I suppose.

I read somewhere that the xbox one has a new sku that is being mass produced already, for microsoft's sake lets hope that is an xbox one with no kinect and launches at the same price as the ps4 otherwise microsoft is going to be selling 30% or so less consoles in uk and many other countries.

where did you read that? Its the first I have seen anyone say that MS was already mass producing another sku.

It could be a Kinect-less sku, but it could also be a sku with a larger hard drive.

The problem there is that suddenly you have a situation where some users have the device and some don't. Now developers have even less reason to make certain features standard.

So while your right that it offers users a choice, it also drastically reduces the chances of users seeing proper content that is tailored to using various Kinect features properly. And I don't mean full on Kinect only games. For some reason you guys have this idea that the only way Kinect is justified is via Kinect-only titles. Maybe last gen that was true, but not now thanks to its system level integration.

Unfortunately, that has not helped WiiU sales. The thing about Kinect is that it offers more than just possible gaming features. Now dismiss those features all you like, but reality can't be ignored here. Your exactly right that the remote play via the wiiu gamepad is a great feature, nothing is taking away from that.

Just more personal opinions mixing in with real facts I suppose.

We've gone through a whole generation of motion based gaming, if developers create compelling games then people would buy Kinect 2 at a later date if not in a bundle. It says a lot about your confidence for a device that you NEED to put it in every box or nothing good will be made for it...

I'd say pricing is far more important at the start of a console generation.