Anti-cannabis molecule discovered

They surely can, at over 7 drinks per week/weekend. Males and females respond to alcohol differently and shouldn't be classed as 'one'.

http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/IsYourDrinkingPatternRisky/WhatsYourPattern.asp

Okay just your wording threw me off.  Was gunna say.. just watch intervention.

Lots of people go out every weekend for a drink, that doesn't make them alcoholics. 

Its called going out / having a life.

I wouldn't nesscarily say going for a drink is having a life.

Though I am not a professional by any means, I'd suspect that if one goes out every single weekend & has 3+ drinks they're almost certainly on the road to alcoholism.

Quit spreading FUD. You CAN conclude that someone who drinks 2 drinks a day is NOT an alcoholic. Actually, its been done! They are not even considered an at-risk or a heavy drinker.. Source? http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/IsYourDrinkingPatternRisky/WhatsYourPattern.asp

Awaiting for the rebuttal of where you got 3.5 drinks a week == alcoholism statistic. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcohoism don't even say that.

That's interesting. I guess it depends on the alcohol amount your intaking, but I wouldn't have thought it'd ideal to be having two drinks a day.

Depends? on what? what you feel should be considered alcoholism? If they are a male and consume more than 14 drinks in that weekend, yes. they are considered an alcoholic. Simple as that.

Not what I consider, what experts have concluded.

No one can say X many drinks, in X amount of time makes you an alcoholic. It's all about what each person can physically and mentally tolerate.

Hence, why I said if they go out to get "smashed" then they have had more than they can tolerate, and have become a weekend binge alcoholic.

I know people who can tolerate a HUGE amount of alcohol in one sitting, and not show any ill effect. They can also take it or leave it from one week to the next. I wouldn't consider them an alcoholic.

Really, you become an alcoholic when you have become dependent on alcohol, either physically, mentally, or both. However many drinks per day/week/month/year/whatever totally depends on each individual.

Okay just your wording threw me off.  Was gunna say.. just watch intervention.

Yeah, sorry. It was worded as 'only males can be alcoholics!' which is so NOT the case.. Females can become alcoholics much quicker and suffer major liver issues if keeping up with a 'low risk' male drinker. Men metabolize liquor much quicker than a woman can, plus men are generally larger than awomen is allowing for more alcohol to reach the same effect. A healthy woman can drink 2 drinks and most likely still be feeling the effects quite well 2 hr later, where it would almost completely metabolize in most healthy males by that time.

I work with rehab counselling, no need for intervention. I've seen it all. We had to pull the waterless handwash because people kept drinking it. even the foaming stuff... Or stuff that didn't even contain alcohol. Just incredible.

Really, you become an alcoholic when you have become dependent on alcohol, either physically, mentally, or both. However many drinks per day/week/month/year/whatever totally depends on each individual.

100% Agree.

Not what I consider, what experts have concluded.

No one can say X many drinks, in X amount of time makes you an alcoholic. It's all about what each person can physically and mentally tolerate.

Hence, why I said if they go out to get "smashed" then they have had more than they can tolerate, and have become a weekend binge alcoholic.

I know people who can tolerate a HUGE amount of alcohol in one sitting, and not show any ill effect. They can also take it or leave it from one week to the next. I wouldn't consider them an alcoholic.

I've seen people drink and not even get drunk, missing the enzyme to process the alcohol. You are 100% correct about the dependence. Calling someone an alcoholic is generally baseless as it could mean 1 drink a day or 100 a day and varies by nation, state, and city. If you are dependent you KNOW it and you have a minimum requirement to stay alive and a bit more to function.

To stay on topic, nobody is dependent on marijuana. They won't die, get muscle cramps, headaches, upset stomachs, tremors or anything else if you take it away. They may be cranky for a week, which is a purely psychological thing and a sign their body is adjusting to lowering dopamine levels. If you take the bottle from someone who is alcohol dependent you most likely will kill them. Alcohol is one of the few drugs which CAN kill if you stop cold-turkey.

I read Neowin multiple times a day. Am I addicted? Say it isn't so.

I think the timing of this discovery coincides well with the law change in Colorado. But an anti-nicotine one would surely be more beneficial. Except for the people making huge money off nicotine addiction, of course.

Cannabis is not addictive, the routine of smoking the drug is what people become used to but it's not an addiction.

I have never met anyone who has smoked week regularly who has ever stopped. That's just me though.

I think the timing of this discovery coincides well with the law change in Colorado. But an anti-nicotine one would surely be more beneficial. Except for the people making huge money off nicotine addiction, of course.

You won't know until you stop for say, a year or two. Then come back by choice.

Doing drugs or drinking on a regular basis does NOT mean you're addicted or an alcoholic.

Being addicted to drugs or being an alcoholic means you crave them.

There s absolutely nothing wrong with having a drink, or many every day, as long as you can still live a normal life, and don't require it.

As for pot, or any other drug for that matter, if it doesn't interfere with day to day life or your financial situation, then so be it.

As for me, I can drink, do drugs, etc. etc. and then just not do them at any time. I never have been addicted to anything other than cigarettes and coffee, lol.

I have few friends that use pot on regular basis, and while I can't say that they are addicted or they simply enjoy relaxing after work, they quite visibly show the "dumbness" induced by pot whether they smoked it or not during the day. These are: severe lack of attention, lack of awareness, significant memory impairment....etc.

Smoking pot few times a month may not be dangerous, but consuming it regularly, it is.

• Like 1

Hello,

Dependant is your body relying upon a substance, addicted is you reusing something because you 'enjoy the high' not because you physically need it (at that point). Addiction turns into dependance.

I disagree.

In my opinion dependant is your body NEEDING a substance in order to function in a way that person thinks its normal. Addicited is when a substance is/was in your body and asks for more even if you dont need it. I think thats is the difference.

As random not soruce proven wikipedia definitions:

Behavioral or behavioural addiction (as opposed to chemical addiction), also referred to as soft addiction, process addiction, or non-substance-related addiction, is a form of addiction not caused by the usage of drugs. Behavioral addiction consists of a compulsion to repeatedly engage in an action until it causes negative consequences to the person's physical, mental, social, and/or financial well-being. Behavior persisting in spite of these consequences can be taken as a sign of addiction.

Addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences, or a neurological impairment leading to such behaviors.

That being said n_K I do respect your opinion and understand your point of view

Does he have to do it every week ? then yes.

HawkMan, Im going to politely and respectfuly ask you to please stop posting in this thread :) Thank you

Depends.

If their sole intention is to go out every weekend to the club to get 'smashed' then yes, they would be a weekend binge alcoholic; which is actually a lot more dangerous to the system than sustained alcohol use.

If they just go out and have a few socially, then I'd guess no.

A weekend binge alcoholic? Seriously? So that means that if you have a beer even friday, you are a friday binge alcholic? Come on, people think!

Some people commenting clearly believe anyone that drinks more than what they do are alcoholics.

100% truth.

(As a personal offcomment, I think you should change your name :) You break a post when quoting)

According to HawkMan's "logic", yes you are.

I have never met anyone who has smoked week regularly who has ever stopped. That's just me though.

Ive done it and people I know have done it too. Its not that hard because cannabis is not addictive. If you mix cannabis/tabacco, then yes, its harder but thats because of the nicotine.

Some people really need to look up some facts and sources before posting. The amount of BS in this thread is INCREIBLE and the definition of addiction is beyond believe. Some are even borderline Darwin Awards! :laugh: Some of you, on the other hand, make great points, while others, rather wrong or right, think a bit before posting.

Doing drugs or drinking on a regular basis does NOT mean you're addicted or an alcoholic.

Being addicted to drugs or being an alcoholic means you crave them.

There s absolutely nothing wrong with having a drink, or many every day, as long as you can still live a normal life, and don't require it.

As for pot, or any other drug for that matter, if it doesn't interfere with day to day life or your financial situation, then so be it.

As for me, I can drink, do drugs, etc. etc. and then just not do them at any time. I never have been addicted to anything other than cigarettes and coffee, lol.

That's definitely a characteristic of addiction. One of many. Being unable to perform and normal capacity or manage one's disposition without <insert spirit of choice> regularly is addictive.

Someone who drinks alcohol every day, probably cannot perform at normal capacity or manage their disposition in all situations if they just stop. At least not for a week or two of moderate withdrawal. Varies by individual. I would guess, "most" would drink again.

So there's the question of whether you're addicted to something at all, then there's to what degree.

Its great to hear that they might have discovered a drug to help people addicted to a drug.

They already have such drugs for say alcoholics or those addicted to cigarettes.

I'm not sure why people have to get defensive when it comes to marijuana smoking though. Its a drug like anything else and that means it can have all sorts of effects on a person when taking it. Some will have mild affects, some will have strong affects. It also means that as it becomes legalized, it will come under heavy scrutiny and regulation.

Cigarette smokers seem to always get the short end of the stick. Many like to jump on them and do about everything they can to discourage its usage including taxes and high prices, not to mention making it 'uncool'. Alcohol doesn't get that kind of attention, and neither does marijuana usage, which is certainly held up as the 'cool' smoking option.

Perhaps as marijuana smoking becomes legalized in more states in the US, you will start to see the same treatment tobacco smokers gets now. Governments will tax the heck out of it (for the children of course) and you'll see surgeon general's warnings and all sorts of advertising trying to discourage its usage.

It blocks the activity of THC, the main active ingredient in marijuana. It could lead to a treatment for marijuana addiction, which is an increasing problem.

My comment was that perhaps a vaccine could be produced so there would be no "high" in new users, discouraging use from day one.

weed is a good thing. both recreationally and medically. members of my family have done official research on this, which obviously I can not go in-depth about. there is very little wrong with it and there is no addictive substance within it you CANNOT get physically addicted to it and if you get mentally addicted then you are bound to get addicted to something else instead. yes I know THC is a pysco active (forgive my spelling) and it can affect people from a young age if taken obsessively but research is inconclusive when it comes to saying if people affected already or were likley to have developed issues within the brain.

but that THC is also the recreational relaxing part which can help in certain situations I could write an article longer then the one you posted on why THC has its benefits along with its medical CBD counter part but we would be here all replying with simular lengths 

weed is a good thing. both recreationally and medically. members of my family have done official research on this, which obviously I can not go in-depth about. there is very little wrong with it and there is no addictive substance within it you CANNOT get physically addicted to it and if you get mentally addicted then you are bound to get addicted to something else instead.

There are many drugs that have positive medical uses and positive recreational uses that can turn bad if someone goes too far.

Heck, alcohol is considered a good thing as well, both recreationally and medically. You hear about studies all the time that claim all sorts of positive effects it can have.

I think what much of it boils down to is moderation.

There are many drugs that have positive medical uses and positive recreational uses that can turn bad if someone goes too far.

Heck, alcohol is considered a good thing as well, but recreationally and medically. You hear about studies all the time that claim all sorts of positive effects it can have.

I think what much of it boils down to is moderation.

agreed, same with bananas haha 

agreed, same with bananas haha

even water can kill you if you drink too much of it.

'drugs' like alcohol or marijuana just happened to get focused on. Maybe because they are not as natural as say water or a banana. Maybe because their effects are more obvious when a certain threshold is passed, I'm not sure.

even water can kill you if you drink too much of it.

'drugs' like alcohol or marijuana just happened to get focused on. Maybe because they are not as natural as say water or a banana. Maybe because their effects are more obvious when a certain threshold is passed, I'm not sure.

roflmao. Not sure what point you were making. But yeah, you can become water intoxicated and die. But know this, if you drink too much water and drive you'll probably get to your destination OK. If you drink too much alcohol and smoke too much weed and get behind the wheel, God help whoever crosses your path.

The good side to all these ropeheads? THC makes girls more pliable if you need that. Hey, so does alcohol. Water not so much. LMAO. I'm gonna be laughing about this one for my whole workout today.

+1

Its great to hear that they might have discovered a drug to help people addicted to a drug.

They already have such drugs for say alcoholics or those addicted to cigarettes.

I'm not sure why people have to get defensive when it comes to marijuana smoking though. Its a drug like anything else and that means it can have all sorts of effects on a person when taking it. Some will have mild affects, some will have strong affects. It also means that as it becomes legalized, it will come under heavy scrutiny and regulation.

Cigarette smokers seem to always get the short end of the stick. Many like to jump on them and do about everything they can to discourage its usage including taxes and high prices, not to mention making it 'uncool'. Alcohol doesn't get that kind of attention, and neither does marijuana usage, which is certainly held up as the 'cool' smoking option.

Perhaps as marijuana smoking becomes legalized in more states in the US, you will start to see the same treatment tobacco smokers gets now. Governments will tax the heck out of it (for the children of course) and you'll see surgeon general's warnings and all sorts of advertising trying to discourage its usage.

That's the point. This report is such B.S! The language is completely wrong! It's trying to put pot in the same addictive category as Cigarettes Alcohol or Coffee in terms of addiction. Pot is not addictive period! What are the withdrawal symptoms if it's addictive? It's not addictive it?s habitual. Governments and anti-pot groups have been spreading this kind of FUD for decades. This coming is coming from a non-user of the substance by the way.

• Like 1

roflmao. Not sure what point you were making. But yeah, you can become water intoxicated and die. But know this, if you drink too much water and drive you'll probably get to your destination OK. If you drink too much alcohol and smoke too much weed and get behind the wheel, God help whoever crosses your path.

The good side to all these ropeheads? THC makes girls more pliable if you need that. Hey, so does alcohol. Water not so much. LMAO. I'm gonna be laughing about this one for my whole workout today.

+1

one politicians excuse for driving dangerously at high speeds was that he need the toilet... so... hey just saying... most people know not to get in a car after drinking and im sure it is the same with smoking.

There is a difference between physical addiction and mental addiction.

Physical addiction is the bad one, as the body become dependant on the substance in order to function at some level.

Mental addiction while can develop bad habits, is many caused due to the will of the person not being strong enough to coupe any other way, and is a good starting point in looking for a deeper problem.

Mental addiction is really just falling back onto a track of comfort, not required but it feels good so why not, can be applied to anything really, gaming, substances, friends, activities, etc.

Physical addictions are worse for many reasons.