PS4 outselling Xbox One worldwide by 36%

Good numbers so far for both, but the ps4 is going to hold the lead for a while I think. Whether its a question of lowering prices or just getting released to more territories, who knows.

Before it gets to that point I think they'll release a SKU sans Kinect and drop the price accordingly. They could also free things like multiplayer, IE, Netflix from Gold and make access to them free. They would have lots of options that would make a significant difference IMO before they exited the market.

It's too early, they haven't even built up steam yet.

I really don't think that offering IE outside of Gold would change sales numbers. Both consoles basically require having a paid subscription if you play any multiplayer, so the number of people buying a console and yet not using the online subscription have to be rather low.

Lowering the price is the real game changer. All you have to do is look back at the ps3 to see what MS could do if they see sales lagging seriously behind.

If they cut Kinect, well that would be a pretty big problem. Of course people here would applaud it, but from MS' perspective, it would mean that all the effort they put into integrating Kinect goes out the window, much less the chance for widespread usage by developers. I wonder if that would also signal that they are done in the console market.

Good numbers so far for both, but the ps4 is going to hold the lead for a while I think. Whether its a question of lowering prices or just getting released to more territories, who knows.

I really don't think that offering IE outside of Gold would change sales numbers. Both consoles basically require having a paid subscription if you play any multiplayer, so the number of people buying a console and yet not using the online subscription have to be rather low.

Lowering the price is the real game changer. All you have to do is look back at the ps3 to see what MS could do if they see sales lagging seriously behind.

If they cut Kinect, well that would be a pretty big problem. Of course people here would applaud it, but from MS' perspective, it would mean that all the effort they put into integrating Kinect goes out the window, much less the chance for widespread usage by developers. I wonder if that would also signal that they are done in the console market.

You can tell how long it's been since I did any MP on the PS. When I did it was free.

You can tell how long it's been since I did any MP on the PS. When I did it was free.

Yeah, the next gen brought with it multiplayer behind a paywall for both consoles. There are a handful of exceptions such as some MMOs or Free-to-Play titles, but the bulk of games will require it.

I hope previous rumours are incorrect and MS don't see this as a reason to pull out of the console market, they still have healthy sales and if the previous statements are true then MS is still lauging its way to the bank if they make a slight profit on each XB1 sold. I'm not sure If I ever heard a statement from Sony on whether its a profit or loss on the consoles but regardless that always evens itself out with time with software sales and manufacturing imporvements etc.

Why would they see this as a reason to do anything?  Sure they aren't beating Sony, but it doesn't have to be about that.  They quite likely by now have sold over 3 million consoles in 6 weeks at their price point.  If that's not success, I'm not sure what is.  Pretty sure Sony is profiting off their hardware as well.

Why would they see this as a reason to do anything?  Sure they aren't beating Sony, but it doesn't have to be about that.  They quite likely by now have sold over 3 million consoles in 6 weeks at their price point.  If that's not success, I'm not sure what is.  Pretty sure Sony is profiting off their hardware as well.

Because the previous rumours were that MS were considering pulling out of the console market, if sales don't meet their expectations then they may quit while they are making a nice profit then continue and potentially end up down. I also will say, I doubt this is the case or will be.

Supply still hasn't caught up with demand on the PS4 side (if nowinstock.net is any indication).

PS4 (left) & Xbox One (right)

16jr313.jpg

Not shocking since Sony has to worry about allocating units to many more regions right now.

They just have to keep pushing forward as best they can.

It's completely and utterly impossible to compare GLOBAL sales of the two consoles, as they're not both available in the same markets.  You can only really compare individual country sales where they're both sold, anything else is just meaningless.

Still, the headline looks good, and since when do places like VGChartz care about journalistic accuracy? 

• Like 2

Because the previous rumours were that MS were considering pulling out of the console market, if sales don't meet their expectations then they may quit while they are making a nice profit then continue and potentially end up down. I also will say, I doubt this is the case or will be.

I dunno, MS has quite a rich history of just flat out dropping products, services and features if someone there stubs their toe. They are a very investor centric company that has no clear vision or guidance.

I dunno, MS has quite a rich history of just flat out dropping products, services and features if someone there stubs their toe. They are a very investor centric company that has no clear vision or guidance.

I have seen this new FUD "rumor" pop up on a few web sites. People created many rumors before the X1 was released, many that did not pan out. Now that it is being sold they need to try to scare people away with "Microsoft may stop selling it"

I have seen this new FUD "rumor" pop up on a few web sites. People created many rumors before the X1 was released, many that did not pan out. Now that it is being sold they need to try to scare people away with "Microsoft may stop selling it"

I'm a Windows app developer. Trust me, MS are -well- known for abandoning seemingly popular products on a whim.  I'm getting sick of having to learn new techs because they've dropped something and replaced it with something else... *glares at Linq to SQL, Silverlight, WPF, RIAA services and about a dozen others...

I'm a Windows app developer. Trust me, MS are -well- known for abandoning seemingly popular products on a whim.  I'm getting sick of having to learn new techs because they've dropped something and replaced it with something else... *glares at Linq to SQL, Silverlight, WPF, RIAA services and about a dozen others...

Linq to SQL was never meant to be a permanent, it was temporary until Linq to Entities was finished. They told people this, they made it very clear. Some of the other tech, I can understand that being an issue but many of those technologies have lasted far longer than others from the competition.

But to pretend like Microsoft will just decide one day to stop selling Xbox will not happen. And the fact that we are even discussing it shows how effective the FUD mill is against Microsoft. They created a supposed replacement CEO (that never considered the job), then created a rumor of the products the never-to-be CEO would cut. Then when it is revealed that person never considered the job, they need to attach these rumors to something else.

We see that the supposed 36% rate, even when reported by a very Sony-favorable web site, is not holding up. So we need to be distracted with rumors about Microsoft will stop selling the X1.

Be afraid people, don't buy an Xbox because they are no longer going to sell one! Buy a PS4, it is the only one that will be sold by this time next year!

I'm not for a minute saying they will, but they DO have a track record of doing so; ask anyone that bought a Zune, or a Windows Phone 7 device. :p

Zune was never as successful as the Xbox platform is. WP7 is a little different too since it wasn't ended abruptly, they just made a new version of it. The part that upset users was the inability to upgrade a WP7 device to WP8, instead just getting WP7.8. I guess in the end, the feeling is the same as MS just pulling the plug on a platform.

I'm not for a minute saying they will, but they DO have a track record of doing so; ask anyone that bought a Zune, or a Windows Phone 7 device. :p

Meanwhile they support XP for 12 years (about 11 years longer than the OS released by the competition around the same time). Microsoft has pledged to support Surface RT until April 2017, or twice as long as the competition's first tablet was supported. And I can go on about how Microsoft runs rings around their competition, but apparently the purpose is to find new ways to frighten people away from The Xbox One.

Supply still hasn't caught up with demand on the PS4 side (if nowinstock.net is any indication).

PS4 (left) & Xbox One (right)

16jr313.jpg

thats a good sign for PS4.. its already on lead..