Morrissey: eating meat is the same as paedophilia

Arguing that we shouldn't eat meat is one thing; arguing we are all the same species because we're all mammals is another.

To me, it's just looking at the problem from a different angle and basing arguments on not one, but many factors.

Different people start to abstain from meat consumption for various reasons: ethical, political, religious, spiritual, etc, or a combination of these.

Anyway, it's not that I disagree.

Good! :)

But the fact remains that comparing eating meat to paedophilia is ridiculous.

If violence is at the root of both actions, why is it such a ridiculous proposition?

One could argue it's hyperbolic, and I would support that, but saying it's absurd tells me that the person making the claim completely denies or turns a blind eye to the constituent element of violence in one of these actions.

So vegans don't eat baby corn? You've got to kill it to eat it. And if the answer is vegans don't equate plant life to animal life. Most humans don't equate animal life to human child life. Though the same humans do consider some animal life higher than others. Such as dogs in America. Of course in Thailand, Vietnam, and a few other places they do not, and eat dogs like Americans eat chicken. And of course we think that is barbaric, or, like pedophilia.

Exactly. This is what a lot of vegetarians fail to understand. They think that only non-vegetarians kill their food. Plants are also living things. Just because they don't move doesn't mean they are not alive. Human beings are natural omnivores - we are born to eat both plants and animals. What a person ultimately has is purely based on choice, religion, upbringing, and various other factors.

If violence is at the root of both actions, why is it such a ridiculous proposition?

One could argue it's hyperbolic, and I would support that, but saying it's absurd tells me that the person making the claim completely denies or turns a blind eye to the constituent element of violence in one of these actions.

Then you might as well add in to that comparison of war, armed robbery, boxing, football, roller derby, kids playing Cowboys and Indians or cops and robbers, ect. After all in some hyperbole way, violence is a base element in those and many other examples. So we can continue playing this ridiculous game of whats the most retarded comparison that can be made to pedophilia or it can acknowledge and accepted that animals eating animals, including humans eating animals have been a part of history of life from pretty much the get go of life on this planet. To deny that is turning a blind eye to reality. 

Enron, on 03 Jan 2014 - 18:59, said:

Listening to this guy is the same as sniffing glue.

I think I'd prefer to sniff glue.

ArtistX, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:17, said:ArtistX, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:17, said:ArtistX, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:17, said:

Someone should tweet to him - PETA = People Eat Tasty Animals  :shiftyninja:  :shifty:

That's the PETA org I support. :laugh:

Humans are not supposed to be veggie only eaters. Just look at the design of our teeth. We are meant (by design of our teeth) to eat whatever doesn't eat us first!

Basically, Morrissey has committed an association fallacy (guilt by association) ? arguing that because two things share a property (violence) they are the same (meat consumption = paedophilia).

He is displaying what can only be described as idiot or pig logic. i.e Unicorns have eyes, a mouth and eat plants. Nazi`s wanted to change the world and often made ludicrous statements.

Morrissey has eyes, a mouth and eats plants. He also wants to change the world and makes ludicrous statements.

Thus we can deduce that Morrissey is indeed a Nazi Unicorn!!!!

Paedophilia might not necessarily be categorised as violent. Perverse/deviant or predatory, certainly, but not necessarily violent.

Modern consumption of meat isn't really "violent" either. It's industrial and largely mechanical. Human beings, at least in the West, rarely hunt, kill, clean and cut up their own meat. Actually, a lot of Veg/Vegans make that exact argument: more people would adopt veg/vegan diets if they were forced to slaughter their own food. I don't know if I entirely agree, but it can't be entirely dismissed, either.

Morrissey needs to, in youngsters internet parlance, STFU.

He should have disappeared up his own arse by now. 

Some of the best pets Iv had have been rats, smart, loving, funny animals and yet they scared the crap out of a lot of our friends that came by. Some people do have strong bonds to the types of animals you listed and still others view those same animals as good eating. 

Oh we used to have rats as pets, they knew their names and would follow me around the house like little dogs. Cant keep them any more as I developed an allergy to them  :/

paedophilia ? Is the same as molesting children right? Hum...can't say I've molested any cows before eating them... :/

Modern consumption of meat isn't really "violent" either. It's industrial and largely mechanical.  

And in the process making it much more, not less violent (albeit largely invisible to the consumer)

post-5569-0-87714200-1389545590.jpg

post-5569-0-75981300-1389545595.jpg

All mammals share some portion of the same DNA.

ANIMALS as a group share DNA, RNA, enzymes and proteins with plants too. Ex: humans share 35% of proteins with one of the green algaes.

So, WTF do we eat now? Rocks?

And in the process making it much more, not less violent (albeit largely invisible to the consumer)

Growing vegetables and fruits, and often preparing them to varying degrees, is also invisible to consumers because of simple logistics. That won't change for any foodstuff.

Look, we evolved as omnivores and we remain that way because it's advantageous to our survival: as generalists we can eat anything from bugs to rugs and thus better survive famine. That should not change.

Look, we evolved as omnivores and we remain that way because it's advantageous to our survival: as generalists we can eat anything from bugs to rugs and thus better survive famine. That should not change.

You'll find the majority of doctors nowadays recommending a near-vegetarian diet because of its health advantages. Most of us would live much healthier if we ate less meat. It is also possible to completely eliminate meat from your diet (should you wish to do so) without negatively impacting your health. Famine is not the problem in first-world countries. Obesity is.

Since there is no health advantage to eating meat (certainly not in the amounts we eat it), the question of the right amount of animal products to consume and in what way they ought to have been 'produced' is primarily a moral one ? weighing human pleasure against (non-human) animal suffering. Excuse me if I would rather not get into that discussion here as I feel like a thread with a title like this is not the proper place to have that particular discussion in any kind of depth. I would only suggest to be careful not to turn descriptive statements into normative ones. Just because we evolved a certain way or a majority of us behave a certain way doesn't make it automatically right to continue behaving in that way.  

Strict veggies don't consume diary products.

Nope.  Sorry, that is not a definition of so-called "strict" vegetarianism at all.  It is the abstaining of the consumption of animal meat.  STRICT vegetarians also don't consume the byproducts of animal slaughter.

No mention of dairy or such exists until you start straying towards veganism - which is a long way from strict vegetarianism.

You'll find the majority of doctors nowadays recommending a near-vegetarian diet because of its health advantages.

Source?  My nutritionist laughed when I put this to her.

Most of us would live much healthier if we ate less meat.

Red meat, yes - although we are built to eat and digest it - we do so in much higher quantities than we originally did.  White meat including poultry and fish?  Not at all.

Source?  My nutritionist laughed when I put this to her. 

I don't have a source for that at hand, it's just my impression. I guess we could also argue about the definition of "near-vegetarian". Here's just one example from a reputable source:

2. Go with plants. Eating a plant-based diet is healthiest. Make half your plate vegetables and fruits. Cook with healthy plant oils, like olive and canola oil. Get most or all of your protein from beans, nuts and seeds, or tofu. Check out these delicious healthy recipes that bring the Healthy Eating Pyramid and Healthy Eating Plate into your kitchen.